Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, CVByrne said:

If we'd beaten Bournemouth instead of losing we'd be 8th behind Newcastle on goal difference. If we'd got a 0 0 with West Ham too we'd be in 6th. 

The league is very compressed atm. I think we need to get as many points as possible by the World Cup break. Get ourselves into the top half and be within 4 or so points of 7th. Even then we're only 15 games or less than 40% through the season. Loads to play for then and use the break well hopefully

Other than the top 3 it’s as bad a league quality wise as I can remember. Be surprised if it’s stays like that but lot of opportunity out there. 

35 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • one poor officials decision, even admitted he was wrong (and even if they hadn't stopped playing, it still would have went in)
  • One fluky deflection
  • and one shot in off a post

.......and we would be sitting in 4th place......terrible thought isn't it?

This is kind of stuff that's so reaching. If and if and if and if.

We are failing the metrics test.

We are failing all underlying stats test.

We are failing the eye test.

You could argue the if and if and if with any club as long as they're not getting pounded into the dirt like Forest.

It is only of great fortune of scheduling that we have 8 points with Gerrard seemingly in Pep's brain against City.

I am behind the team, but the chickens will come home to roost if we continue this drivel to WC.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Yeah possibly my expectations were too high. But for a club that talked Europe and top half getting 7 points from 5 games against relegation fodder is poor.

Ciggie......It was the talk, that was stupid.

We had no basis, to be predicting, European football......our football hasn't been convincing enough for yonks, to be talking European football places.

So we sign a few champions league quality players, and the bar gets raised......We have to produce the goods, before European Football can be talked about with any credence.

• It took us how long to sign a Centre back, with aerial dominance like Ty?
  • It took us how long to sign a quality CDM?
  • Even now, we have strikers, who have trouble scoring and headed goals are just a pipe dream.....They can't head the ball with any authority.
  • How long did it take us to get a left back of any ilk?

I am not convinced, we have recruited in a manner, to suggest that European football is something this group should be achieving.

The expectation was a myth.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

This is kind of stuff that's so reaching. If and if and if and if.

We are failing the metrics test.

We are failing all underlying stats test.

We are failing the eye test.

You could argue the if and if and if with any club as long as they're not getting pounded into the dirt like Forest.

It is only of great fortune of scheduling that we have 8 points with Gerrard seemingly in Pep's brain against City.

I am behind the team, but the chickens will come home to roost if we continue this drivel to WC.

I take your point

but These are not far reaching if's.......They are so close, to being on the other side.

whose to say , the laters stages of the Season, this fortune turns.

but we are not talking about any club, we are talking about us, being a gnats wotsit, away from picking up more points than we have.

“We set in place a five year plan. The mantra of that was we must be improving, in our performances, our results and our league position.

“We are just over three years into that journey and I think Steven’s arrival will reignite the club and push us forward.”

“That stage, playing in Europe, is something which is an exciting dream for our fans. When that happens, we shall see. But what we expect and what Steven has promised to deliver is continuous improvement in our team. I am certain he will do that.”

E&S link

I have had zero (or close to zero) expectations for Europe this season.

I do expect continuous improvement. 

• Like 1

We play the worst brand of football I have seen us play in at least 4 seasons. Absolutely dreadful against Leeds , slow with no visable system in the attacking third and a totally ineffective midfield. No ifs iand buts needed , watch us play. 

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

We play the worst brand of football I have seen us play in at least 4 seasons. Absolutely dreadful against Leeds , slow with no visable system in the attacking third and a totally ineffective midfield. No ifs iand buts needed , watch us play. 

"Pragmatic"

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

Ciggie......It was the talk, that was stupid.

We had no basis, to be predicting, European football......our football hasn't been convincing enough for yonks, to be talking European football places.

So we sign a few champions league quality players, and the bar gets raised......We have to produce the goods, before European Football can be talked about with any credence.

• It took us how long to sign a Centre back, with aerial dominance like Ty?
  • It took us how long to sign a quality CDM?
  • Even now, we have strikers, who have trouble scoring and headed goals are just a pipe dream.....They can't head the ball with any authority.
  • How long did it take us to get a left back of any ilk?

I am not convinced, we have recruited in a manner, to suggest that European football is something this group should be achieving.

The expectation was a myth.

Purslow has indicated that European football is our aim as has Gerrard. The expectation is anything but a myth. The club have said that they were disappointed with the way the 20/21 season ended and indicated that it was one of the factors in releasing Dean. 

I believe that the plan in appointing SG was to raise the profile of the club more quickly and to some degree that has happened. But the point of raising the profile is surely to take the club forward both on and most importantly on the pitch. Yes it’s a results business but also a big part of the entertainment industry. We’re currently neither getting results or being entertained. Putting this all down to the ability of the players is hard to believe. Yes ultimately they play the game but you can’t seriously believe that the manager has little or no influence over the team. Otherwise why are top managers so coveted? Although more to the point why are we paying £6m a year to be bored senseless watching unattractive and nonproductive football?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Like what?

did the set up work against Man City?

I have been a Villa fan for over 60 years, rarely have I seen our fanbase all agree on a set up.....or anyone elses...its par for the course.

I have witnessed manager after manager create a divided opinion, on who should and who shouldn't play and where....and I don't think it will ever change.

Its as if there is some kind of, one way of playing for success.

Managers will do things we don't agree with, I don't agree with everything Gerrard does.......we better get used to it, because the alternative is driving ourselves mad.

If he continues to set us up, hard to beat and picks up points.....He is going nowhere.

Don't forget the armchair fans on VT know much better!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He has 5pts from last 3 including Man City that should've been a victory. Why would owners knee jerk now?

The comment was about podcasters/YouTubers I think.

Not seen any forcefully behind Gerrard at all, don't watch many though.

29 minutes ago, YLN said:

If Gerrard was sacked tomorrow, where is his next job? Bolton? Coventry? Or are we thinking West Brom? 

I would suggest shit sky sports pundit

He's done already. TV punditry awaits.

Was given free reign with £150m and we are terrible. I genuinely cannot believe how poor we are. It's attempted tactics from someone who doesn't know how to implement them. We'd better with a ridiculous Sherwood/Redknapp "just go and play" attitude.

No one in PL run properly will touch Gerrard. Maybe someone daft like West Ham or a promoted side.

He'd better off going somewhere that's his level like league one and learning the job. Then he can rise up if he's good enough.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I take your point

but These are not far reaching if's.......They are so close, to being on the other side.

whose to say , the laters stages of the Season, this fortune turns.

but we are not talking about any club, we are talking about us, being a gnats wotsit, away from picking up more points than we have.

If we are going for all if what if …

• Everton had chances to equalised at the end
  • ManC had enough chances to score 4 or 5
  • Leeds had some good chances at the end of the game to win it.

Then we would have the same point total as Forest. We have 8 points after 8 matches, it could have been more and it could have been less, but 8 is the reality and it don’t matter what takes place in an alternative universe.

Even worse then our points total is that we have only scored 6, and that is against some shockingly bad teams. Not scoring goals will relegate us. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Eventually he gets to the point that you can do all the coaching and the drills but ultimately it falls on the players to do the job. 

Might be an idea if he actually picks our best players then.

Â