Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

59 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

There's no excuse to be playing like this after 12 months on the job and close to 100m spent + a substantial increase in the wage bill. Absolutely zero. 

They also hiked the prices to watch this crap as well.

Might have something to do with that substantial increase in wage bill you mentioned.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree and it’s clear Gerrard has has now had to resort to a  short term approach now to keep his job as long as possible by getting points on the board.  It’s back to what Smith did to keep us in the league.

SG's best move would be to dig his boots out...

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Better get your CV handed in then VT knowitalls...

You can't seriously be arguing that everyone here is wrong because they're not a football manager right? By this logic, we should never sack anyone ever. Lambert, McLeish, Bruce, Garde, we were wrong about all of them. I mean, what do we know right? Or maybe, even on a base level, it's quite obvious to anyone with even a passing interest in football when a manager just isn't working or is out of their depth.

• Like 2

On 05/10/2022 at 22:28, viivvaa66 said:

If we are going for all if what if …

• Everton had chances to equalised at the end
  • ManC had enough chances to score 4 or 5
  • Leeds had some good chances at the end of the game to win it.

Then we would have the same point total as Forest. We have 8 points after 8 matches, it could have been more and it could have been less, but 8 is the reality and it don’t matter what takes place in an alternative universe.

Even worse then our points total is that we have only scored 6, and that is against some shockingly bad teams. Not scoring goals will relegate us. 

Moments definitely change games, but that's really cherry picking the "what if" argument isn't it? I mean we had better chances against Leeds than Man City had against us, and we could have been out of sight against Everton before their 10 minute "maximum effort" at the end. 

The Everton game wasn't pretty but we deserved the win. The Man City game we were under pressure and although we could have lost on another day a draw was probably mostly fair, and it's the opposite against Leeds in that we'd have won on another day but a draw was probably fair.

Those three games in isolation are OK, not swashbuckling, but OK. You could argue we "deserved" 3 points between Leeds and City and got 2, but that's football. 

Its all the other games that's ruining us. Southampton was a win but awful, games like Bournemouth, Palace, West Ham and even Arsenal (where we were terrible but they were absolutely flying) are what's killing us. 

We absolutely have to beat Forest, 4 points from Leeds and Forest is probably acceptable, and 8 points from Southampton, City, Leeds and Forest isn't terrible as a run, even if the football is bad. It keeps us ticking over at least. 

We have some tougher games after that though and Gerrard is going to have to pick up a decent points haul from them to undo some of the terrible results so far. I don't think the board will sack him while on a "decent" run, even if the football is boring. There's a chance they might if they see attendance waning, but that would be pretty kneejerk considering they probably don't closely follow all the games to know how boring the football is

In saying that I've always thought the owners have been pretty switched on since they arrived so I'd be disappointed if they hadn't at least sounded out Poch to see if he's interested. Hell, they may have done and he said no chance so they're sticking with Gerrard until someone proven becomes available to us, we'll never know I guess, so we've not really got much choice but to keep our fingers crosses that he either gets it right eventually or NSWE prove they are the savvy switched on owners that we all hope they are 

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You can't seriously be arguing that everyone here is wrong because they're not a football manager right? By this logic, we should never sack anyone ever. Lambert, McLeish, Bruce, Garde, we were wrong about all of them. I mean, what do we know right? Or maybe, even on a base level, it's quite obvious to anyone with even a passing interest in football when a manager just isn't working or is out of their depth.

It's not really what I'm suggesting at all as it is purely hypothetical but if you want to interpret it that way go with it.

Personally I thought we played better than Leeds the other day (11 v 11) but then we disappointingly snatched a draw from the jaws of a win. There were some signs of positivity I thought.

I see good and bad, most prefer to see bad at the moment. Just trying to find a little parity!

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's fair enough, Houllier was the last decent manager we've had and finished ninth. Back in 2010/11.

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We had chances to win the game, but watch back how these chances came about. Especially in the first half, most of them were from hopeful punts into Watkins that either bounced off him or the defender or he achieved the herculean task of controlling it and fashioning a shot (it's why I'm not going crazy about his finishing, he had to do so much else). We were relying on being first to second balls, which to be fair we often were. The problem with this approach is that it's simply not sustainable, and quite frankly is beneath a club with our stated ambitions. Maybe I'm wrong about these ambitions and I should just be happy with scraping survival, I don't know. But right now this isn't sitting right with me.

I thought Coutinho gave us that quality and carved out some lovely passages of play. Ramsey too was pretty direct. I thought we played better but it was a pretty scrappy game and therein lies the situation; two struggling teams trying to get points. Also some players like Bailey and Watkins weren't at the races either.

I'm not suggesting all is rosy but we have some good players and points are coming.

Still patience from me at this time.

This idea that we should be much higher and pushing for Europe is miles off, other teams are so far ahead of us.

It's been over ten years since we finished top half! 

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

We limp on. Hopefully they’ll use the international break to make a change of manager.

It's blatantly obvious to every Villa fan that it's just a matter of time until Gerrard is sacked. He's clearly out of his depth and regressed with a better set of players. 

It's tremendously disappointing the board are happy for us to "limp on" until there's a result bad enough to sack him. Just sack him now and get it over and done with.

What worries me about Gerrard, notwithstanding his lack of ability as a manager, is that he might well cause us to lose players that we really need to keep.

Like Buendia, Luiz, Mings, and Kamara and Carlos if he is still in charge when they recover from injury.

Not to mention our young guys, expensively assembled and very talented, requiring only a manager who can progress them.

The appointment of Gerrard could set us back years just when we finally have decent owners with the money to back their ambitions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

It's blatantly obvious to every Villa fan that it's just a matter of time until Gerrard is sacked. He's clearly out of his depth and regressed with a better set of players. 

It's tremendously disappointing the board are happy for us to "limp on" until there's a result bad enough to sack him. Just sack him now and get it over and done with.

This is the part I don’t get. I’m hoping there’s some sensible thought process behind it all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

What worries me about Gerrard, notwithstanding his lack of ability as a manager, is that he might well cause us to lose players that we really need to keep.

Like Buendia, Luiz, Mings, and Kamara and Carlos if he is still in charge when they recover from injury.

Not to mention our young guys, expensively assembled and very talented, requiring only a manager who can progress them.

The appointment of Gerrard could set us back years just when we finally have decent owners with the money to back their ambitions.

Luiz aside. I honestly don’t think this is a problem with the money they are earning. 

16 hours ago, TRO said:

Nick, if he was going to do it, after the Bournemouth game, might have gained him support.....but not now.

But you keep saying they’ll know when to fire him more than us but then you say he’s….

17 hours ago, TRO said:

Purslow, is a saleman, not a footballing man......He has his place, and does a good job, but analysing the football team, and predicting our future on the field......er No.

I’m confused 🤔

• Like 1

Â