Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

49 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Under DS we beat Liverpool 2-7,under Gerrard we cant even beat Bournmouth.And,according to SG he has bought quality players and improved the team.

We also got beat by a terrible Sheffield Utd team who had 10 men under Deano. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

He is an inexperienced manager but he can't get or won't get better. That is unfair.

There are very little or any signs that he is improving, more that we are going in the other direction. That’s the worrying thing. We can’t base our future on pure hope that he’ll suddenly improve.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bose said:

According to fotmob you are right. We missed 5 big chances in that match  in a season where we have created 8(!) big chances. In a match where we were 1 man up for most of the match. The problem has been creating the chances with our turgid play. So far it’s a one off, let’s see what happens against Forest.

Well, you see it that way.....I see it different.

I think the turgid football, was at the seasons start...but thats subjective.......I appreciate defensive football, when its necessary and right now, it is.

Where there is a necessity, I can accept defensive football as a means to an end......SG has already said, he does not intend to continue indefinately, with a cautious style, but I guess that has fell on deaf ears, with some.

Personally, I would suspect Forest will attemp to stop the rot, and against Leicester they was wide open......I don't expect us to, receive the same benevolence, but we will see.

They will I suspect try to operate a low block ( something we hate) and catch us on the counter......something we need to be very aware of.

its a Banana skin for me, just like Bournemouth, where we thought, we only had to turn up.

We need to quieten the crowd to start, win over the initiative of the game first, and then apply our talent, by growing in to the game.......go gunho and we could get undone, and back to square one again.....we can't afford to get caught in a trap.

8 minutes ago, bose said:

There are very little or any signs that he is improving, more that we are going in the other direction. That’s the worrying thing. We can’t base our future on pure hope that he’ll suddenly improve.

It is not really based on hope because we have been on a better trajectory since Arsenal and the results show that. SG has shown the ability to adapt and make his team more pragmatic in the short term. Performances are not amazing but players have to take some responsibility for that too. I do not like this view that Gerrard's management can't improve.

31 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I do not like this view that Gerrard's management can't improve.

I don’t think Gerrard should still be our manager but both things are reality unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Sadly if we draw I don't think he'll be sacked, unless we go 2 up and throw it away or something. He should be sacked obviously, even if we win, but if we draw it'll be "ah well Villa are now 4 unbeaten etc".

If the board genuinely have that mindset we're never going to achieve much in premier league under them.

It may be unbeaten in 4 but it will still be us playing terribly, barely above bottom 3 and still not winning many games.

Must admit I'm surprised there isn't more pressure on Gerrard from press articles unless it will start again on Monday. Rodgers has ridden out the storm at Leicester, Cooper just signed a new deal and Hasenhuttl probably getting sacked by Southampton so can't think of too many other prem managers who should be as under as much pressure as Gerrard.

Guess it's some of his old Liverpool friends in the press who'll be spinning the line he's keeping us up against the odds.

45 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

It is not really based on hope because we have been on a better trajectory since Arsenal and the results show that. SG has shown the ability to adapt and make his team more pragmatic in the short term. Performances are not amazing but players have to take some responsibility for that too. I do not like this view that Gerrard's management can't improve.

Well it can improve and it has to improve as we are running at pretty much relegation standard at the moment. We were given a very kind start to the season which we have largely wasted, the Forest game is the last of the easier run, then we will be playing teams in and around the top half rather than those in and around us. We need to improve and Gerrard needs to improve otherwise the season will not only be a write off, it'll be a disaster 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If the board genuinely have that mindset we're never going to achieve much in premier league under them.

It may be unbeaten in 4 but it will still be us playing terribly, barely above bottom 3 and still not winning many games.

Must admit I'm surprised there isn't more pressure on Gerrard from press articles unless it will start again on Monday. Rodgers has ridden out the storm at Leicester, Cooper just signed a new deal and Hasenhuttl probably getting sacked by Southampton so can't think of too many other prem managers who should be as under as much pressure as Gerrard.

Guess it's some of his old Liverpool friends in the press who'll be spinning the line he's keeping us up against the odds.

I don't see this? I see a lot of criticism of Gerrard  in the media (rightfully) rather than protection. I would argue the media stuck up/spun it for Dean Smith last season, more than they have Gerrard this season.

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I don't see this? I see a lot of criticism of Gerrard  in the media (rightfully) rather than protection. I would argue the media stuck up/spun it for Dean Smith last season, more than they have Gerrard this season.

Murphy and Souness are loath to criticise him on Talksport, I imagine Carragher is toeing similar line on Skysports.

Just surprised there hasn't been some more noise about Monday being a huge game for him given all the focus was on Cooper before he signed the new deal.

We really need to get our act together. Leicester could win back to back games so they're creeping back up the league, West Ham starting to win, Everton played well last month and are very tough to score against and Wolves might get some new manager bounce so to get stuck in needless relegation battle because we're giving Gerrard another five games to come good isn't really a good enough strategy.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

you tend to earn respect.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

He doesn’t believe he’s made any.  

He’s Liz Truss in disguise.

are you an expert at false narrative?

He has said on occasions, he's made mistakes....he said "its on me"....takes a big man to say that, some past managers haven't.

If you don't like him, fair enough, but have the balls to says so, don't make stuff up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

He is an inexperienced manager but he can't get or won't get better. That is unfair.

grossly.

How long did it take Graham Potter?.....how long is it taking Partrick?, who will be good, too.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

are you an expert at false narrative?

He has said on occasions, he's made mistakes....he said "its on me"....takes a big man to say that, some past managers haven't.

If you don't like him, fair enough, but have the balls to says so, don't make stuff up.

He says Its On Me every week. He isnt acknowledging his mistakes, he is admitting he is a moron 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He says Its On Me every week. He isnt acknowledging his mistakes, he is admitting he is a moron 

Imagine hearing him say “it’s on me” every week and then saying ‘yes, it’s the players that are the problem, not the manager’

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bose said:

These things take time.....but I will almost guarantee you now.......If Ollie and Danny could find their shooting boots, from now, the landscape would change....

half these , fanciful claims would disappear......and we could get back to gradual improvement and sensible growth.

We are wallowing in self pity and negativity, due to the poor start.....and we are doing ourselves a disservice.

watch UTV podcast, it might, throw a bit of positivity, your way.

Leeds is not an easy place to go, and yet some are treating the place, with no respect......we should have won, we should have beat Man city too.....but we need to have more respect for what is trying to be done too.

There are no easy games.....and yet the disrespect is already gaining momentum, for Nottingham Forest, we are like spoilt kids.

If we win, it will be well deserved.

6 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Imagine hearing him say “it’s on me” every week and then saying ‘yes, it’s the players that are the problem, not the manager’

I would be careful of listening to folk, throwing "Moron" around....its has a habit of catching.

Â