Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 hours ago, pas5898 said:

It's blatantly obvious to every Villa fan that it's just a matter of time until Gerrard is sacked. He's clearly out of his depth and regressed with a better set of players. 

It's tremendously disappointing the board are happy for us to "limp on" until there's a result bad enough to sack him. Just sack him now and get it over and done with.

It won’t be one result that sacks Gerrard. This team under his ineptitude are capable of hitting a run like Smith did over that Christmas period where we lost 4 or 5 games against teams around us and in this league you run out of winnable games fast if you do that.

It’s as much an exercise in keeping the points total just ticking over by not going on a losing run of half a dozen games or so.

20 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Mate, come on, he picks McGinn over both Douglas Luiz and Sanson, so maybe picking the players who actually have a good touch and technique would be a start?

Yeah i have to agree with this one… hes choosing players that are constantly failing to perform and that ultimately is down on gerrard so we can change that.. also not giving archer a chance ridiculous… I understand the unfortunate injuries so ill give room to breathe there.. but he also told us he is very happy with the squad he has when all of us knew the squad needed further additions in weak areas @TRO 

Just to clarify for anyone who is confused, Gerrard is rigid and stubborn for sticking with his existing formations, and he’s desperate and naive for trying to change them. But either way, whatever he does, he’s s***.

• Like 1

Villa fans: " Gerrard is a stubborn shit Manager, who plays a shit system and is too stubborn to see it and make changes "

Also Villa fans: " If he changes the system to get us better performances and results, it's because he's a desperate shit Manager... Boooo "

This indicates that the dislike for Gerrard, overpowers the desire to see Villa do well 😂

Are some people actually reading and listening to what they are saying?

Personally, I'd prefer if a Manager found a system which gets us successful performances and results, with the least fuss and disruption to the club.

Some people seem to genuinely be in fear that he might stumble into a winning formula.

FYI, I don't have any faith he will, but please listen to yourselves. This is serious derangement syndrome.

@Zatman why are you " confused " by previous post? Dean Smith changed to a 3 at the back system, which I actually liked, until it didn't work anymore.

You always laud Dean Smith, so your criteria needs to remain consistent across the board if it's genuine sentiment...no?

If only a poor desperate Manager would switch to a 3 at the back, in your words... Then 🤔

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Villa fans: " Gerrard is a stubborn shit Manager, who plays a shit system and is too stubborn to see it and make changes "

Also Villa fans: " If he changes the system to get us better performances and results, it's because he's a desperate shit Manager... Boooo "

This indicates that the dislike for Gerrard, overpowers the desire to see Villa do well 😂

Personally, I'd prefer if a Manager found a system which gets us successful performances and results, with the least fuss and disruption to the club.

Some people seem to genuinely be in fear that he might stumble into a winning formula.

FYI, I don't have any faith he will, but please listen to yourselves. This is serious derangement syndrome.

@Zatman why are you " confused " by previous post? Dean Smith changed to a 3 at the back system, which I actually liked, until it didn't work anymore.

You always laud Dean Smith, so your criteria needs to remain consistent across the board if it's genuine sentiment...no?

If only a poor desperate Manager would switch to a 3 at the back, in your words... Then 🤔

Because you completely ignored the context as everybody knows why he changed to 3 at the back

• Like 1

Gerrard's current run over half a season... Played 19, points 17, goals scored 18.

If we lose to Forest: played 20, points 17, goals scored probably 18. Should be instant sacking.

If we beat Forest: played 20, points 20, goals scored possibly 20. That's still relegation over a season. Gerrard should be sacked.

Gerrard actually needs around 5 wins in a row to save his job in the long-term.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Can you imagine this thread after Smith brings Norwich up and Gerrard takes us down? That’ll be it, no more internet.

If this thread is not in Other Football by then I can imagine the stadium will be very empty most weeks

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Can you imagine this thread after Smith brings Norwich up and Gerrard takes us down? That’ll be it, no more internet.

Well, we will cross that bridge, when we come to it.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I can only see this as an uphill struggle, whilst our front men, fail to score consistently, or even look like scoring.

We have no alternative, while this is happening, than to shut up shop.

I am convinced, he doesn't want to play like this, but until we find players who can find the net, he is snookered.....If he can some how magic up a formula, to get them scoring, I am all ears.

I would also like to know, what this system is, thats stopping us progressing with this squad....I am all ears, again.

The other thing, I feel is wrong, is.......we are customers of Aston Villa......sure there is more of an emotional attachment than from other business models, but in the cold light of day, thats what we are.......so,  what right have we got to tell the club, who to employ, and who not to?....its tantamount to mob rule.

What other commercial business does that?

If the club feel, its time for him to go, they will make that decision, based on criteria privvy to them....and only them.

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

The other thing, I feel is wrong, is.......we are customers of Aston Villa......sure there is more of an emotional attachment than from other business models, but in the cold light of day, thats what we are.......so,  what right have we got to tell the club, who to employ, and who not to?....its tantamount to mob rule.

This is a joke surely? While transactionally it is customer relationship, I don’t think you truly believe this is accurate or have ever used this argument before.  Even the owners themselves said they are custodians only of the club which is different to the model you suggest. I can’t believe anybody would truly used this as an argument and this coming from me who works in the finance industry doesn’t believe this about football clubs.  It’s a desperate argument.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This is a joke surely? While transactionally it is customer relationship, I don’t think you truly believe this is accurate or have ever used this argument before.  Even the owners themselves said they are custodians only of the club which is different to the model you suggest. I can’t believe anybody would truly used this as an argument and this coming from me who works in the finance industry doesn’t believe this about football clubs.  It’s a desperate argument.

would your company have your customers telling them, who they should and shouldn't employ?

I think that is a convenient and endearing narrative to follow, whether they really believe that, is another thing......sure most fans would baulk at that......but is it so false?

You or I, buy a season ticket, so what, what claim have we got on what goes on, unless we are in numbers, and create a fuss.

No other member of a football club staff, will be prompted by the fan base to employ certain people, we all know traditionally why, but thats not the point.......its not any part of an argument, but its a fact.....who are we to tell them who to employ, unless they ask us......your company wouldn't allow it.

just because, it hasn't been mentioned before, doesn't mean, there is a point there.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Early on when we tried 3 at the back before Dean got sacked I thought Mings and Konsa were quite good at bringing the ball into midfield.  Problem was after Wolves everyone went into panic mode and it fell to pieces, it became really rigid and easy to play against.  I actually think a 3-5-2 is worth a try again under a good coach with the squad we have.

Just thought i'd highlight a slight issue with this plan.

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

If the club feel, its time for him to go, they will make that decision, based on criteria privvy to them....and only them.

This is sad. Who is Steven Gerrard to you to make you relinquish all your agency as a Villa fan? Being a good player 15 years ago makes people start talking like this about their relationship with the club. Incredible.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

would your company have your customers telling them, who they should and shouldn't employ?

In the entertainment industries the customers/audiences are the thing that determines success or failure. Music industry drops acts that don't sell. Actors get roles because they sell tickets to films, Football clubs sack managers when the crowd turns for a period, and particularly when the anger starts turning towards the owners and board and execs.

Gerrard is clearly under pressure because of results and because of performances. It's those two things that have caused supporters to become disenchanted. It's results and performances that will do for him, the ire of supporters is a consequence of results, not the direct cause of dismissals, IMO.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think that is a convenient and endearing narrative to follow, whether they really believe that, is another thing......sure most fans would baulk at that......but is it so false?

You or I, buy a season ticket, so what, what claim have we got on what goes on, unless we are in numbers, and create a fuss.

No other member of a football club staff, will be prompted by the fan base to employ certain people, we all know traditionally why, but thats not the point.......its not any part of an argument, but its a fact.....who are we to tell them who to employ, unless they ask us......your company wouldn't allow it.

just because, it hasn't been mentioned before, doesn't mean, there is a point there.

Not buying the argument and I’m surprised you do! 

Edit: had wrote the same as Blandy so deleted this section as he said it better than me.

Edited by nick76
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

In the entertainment industries the customers/audiences are the thing that determines success or failure. Music industry drops acts that don't sell. Actors get roles because they sell tickets to films, Football clubs sack managers when the crowd turns for a period, and particularly when the anger starts turning towards the owners and board and execs.

Gerrard is clearly under pressure because of results and because of performances. It's those two things that have caused supporters to become disenchanted. It's results and performances that will do for him, the ire of supporters is a consequence of results, not the direct cause of dismissals, IMO.

Beat me too it

Â