Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Surely he has to go if we don't win on Monday?

People can peddle this unbeaten run line but ultimately it will just be 3 draws from four games and us bumbling along at a point a game just above bottom 3 so we simply have to start looking at the bigger picture.

No way can it be spun that draw v 10 men Leeds and draw (or worse) v Forest is any sort of progress from 12 months back.

• Like 2

I cannot accept that a competent manager would not have 1) got more out of the squad he inherited and the one he's assembled, 2) seen the problems the formation/tactics were causing and put Luiz in next to Kamara to fix it, and 3) had a system in between the "everyone attack" and "everyone behind the ball" idiocy we've seen so far.

The fanbase of most clubs rarely get it wrong, and we've largely been onto him since about Christmas

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

People can peddle this unbeaten run line but ultimately it will just be 3 draws from four games and us bumbling along at a point a game just above bottom 3 so we simply have to start looking at the bigger picture.

No way can it be spun that draw v 10 men Leeds and draw (or worse) v Forest is any sort of progress from 12 months back.

In the 5 match run that sealed Dean Smith's fate which indicated a lack of "continuous improvement", the matches were against Wolves, Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal and Southampton. We have 2 more matches until we hit that same point of the season.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Think a draw keeps him in the job.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Think a draw keeps him in the job.

It's a ridiculous metric by the board if him going ultra defensive and playing not to lose games now keeps him safe game by game.

We draw and then lose to Chelsea and it would be 9 points from 10 and perhaps back in bottom 3. Thin margins at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Have I missed something about back 3’s? Has Gerrard played this?

No, we are pre moaning about it based on general discussion, just in case though.

Got to cover all escape routes.

On to 4 - 4 - 2 next.

" We might as well have signed Dyche, an ACTUAL coach who actually knows how to play a proper 4 - 4 - 2 ffs "

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Can we swap Gerrard for that manager at QPR?

He was our previous manager tho.
He took the teamtalks, tactics and training sessions. 

28 mins in to this video.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's a ridiculous metric by the board if him going ultra defensive and playing not to lose games now keeps him safe game by game.

We draw and then lose to Chelsea and it would be 9 points from 10 and perhaps back in bottom 3. Thin margins at this point.

Well its seems to be what the majority of Villa fans want! They want Gerrard out and they also don't want to lose games to get him out quick. Makes no sense to me

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

Lets debate- if you was offered these two choices what option would you take?

Option 1) 1 Point against Forest but Gerrard stays on
Option 2) 0 Points against Forest but Gerrard gets the sack 

Option two every day of the week. Option 1 would be complete and utter madness 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:
  • firstly, they created 19 chances against Leeds.....without success.
  • secondly, in the precarious position we have left oursleves, from the turgid start, remedial action of not losing games is required to A) Keep himself employed and B to avoid the bottom 3
  • Totally agree with your second Paragraph Pete, I would say for over 2years, other than the odd games.
  • I would agree, it is the job of Gerrard and the coaches to find a way for us to play more progressively, but How long that takes, I don't know....it took Graham Potter over 2 years to get any kind of convincing results and Patrick Viera has won 17 games in 52, but both seem to be revered, as to Gerrard, constantly fighting for his job.
  • As for the last line, His judgment will be tested to how many feasible options he has, he can't change the players he has until January.....and playing different systems is debatable, if it effects results.....Dean Smith was also searching with system changes to find consistency and 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 had varying degree's of success, but nothing set in tablets of Stone.....The big thing for Dean, was losing Jack in my honest opinion, and possibly John Terry.

In my opinion, we have used rakes of combinations under 2 managers, and still, we find consistency elusive.....I think Dean and Steve have made mistakes, and I can understand the fans who think Dean could have still been here, with what Steve has produced, it has been no better.

However, I think CDM was a massive  trick been missed, under Deans stewardship, and it too us yonks and a manager with a higher profile to attract a well sought after version, albeit cruel luck has robbed us of his services.......I also think Diego Carlos would have proved to be a huge upgrade by now, only to be robbed of him too....so his 2 marquee signings wiped out, form settling in with us.....I can't dismiss that as, oh well, it happens.

I also think we have a problem up front where for me, Ollie clearly misses the chances laid on by Jack, as for Danny, maybe a different problem, but same outcome.....neither are SG signings, but I accept they are his responsibility.

I think you will know by now.....I am not as convinced as many on here that systems, tactics or selection, is our saviour, even if I respect, that some are more conducive than others.....i.e attacking full backs are not my bag, I am a defend first attack second man, so I don't agree with SG on that, and I am not as enamered as some with Lucas Digne as Targets replacement....something else, I am at odds with Gerrard over.

I think the options he has are questionable.....I am chomping at the bit for Cam to be given a run, but is it fair to put so much pressure on him right now, when we are scrapping for points and the manager, whats to stay in his job and experience is probably prudent.....catch 22, I know, but what would we do?

I am not saying, he won't lose this job.....but I think its only fair, while he is still in the chair, to support him.....until the club, with far more info, than us on his tenure, decides on his future.

We can easily look at clubs, who have pressed the button, but what about those that have kept their nerve too.....I don't hear of Viera being under pressure, despite them being below us.....and since Arteta, has signed a pucker front man in Jesus, they are flying too, after a dicky spell, where the pitchforks, were out.

I am not suggesting for one minute Pete, SG is beyond question, far from it......but i do feel, we are going through choppy waters, where decisions of the past, have come home to roost, and its going to take time, and money to correct it.

I think, Kamara, Carlos and Coutinho ( despite his inconsistency) are quality signings, to move us on, shame the injuries have just scuppered the chance to prove it.

I hope the owners have the confidence, to provide a few more players, who can make that difference, and not just make up the numbers.

I feel more time is required.

19 chances? I'd love to know what you or whoever is classing as a chance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If we draw against Forrest, and he doesn't get the sack then I will start hoping we lose... because drawing against Forrest means we are definitely one of the three worst teams in the league with SG in charge 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

If we draw against Forrest, and he doesn't get the sack then I will start hoping we lose... because drawing against Forrest means we are definitely one of the three worst teams in the league with SG in charge 

You’ll still get fans trying to take the positives from a draw. Likely chat of another clean sheet and steadying the ship

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

You’ll still get fans trying to take the positives from a draw. Likely chat of another clean sheet and steadying the ship

It will just be my opinion of course, but anything less than 3 points against Forrest is indefensible and anyone trying it will lose my respect.

• Like 2

Just watching the For The Love of Paul McGrath podcast and they’re talking about how Gerrard said he thinks about Villa 24/7, but on the night our youth team played in the Papa John’s Trophy he was watching Liverpool against Rangers.

Sorry if it’s already been posted but he could at least try to not treat fans like idiots with his bullshit.

We know he doesn’t give a shit about anything other than his reputation so no point talking bollocks about it.

• Like 1

Â