Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

30 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Ultimately his job is to research in depth and find the questions that aren’t quite so obvious. 

Yeah, it wouldn't be too difficult to ask what SG thinks of the youth set up, or how his house hunting is going, or a zillion other things.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2021 at 00:26, weedman said:

I've often thought that the reason managers seem to be good for a few years then drop off is the opposite of that, I think managers develop favourites naturally based on previous performances and general trust in a player and then they are reluctant to replace them precisely because they don't see them as simple commodities. 

New manager comes in, spends the next few years (hopefully) replacing some of the weaker players with better ones (in our case thinking of the likes of Watkins, McGinn, Mings, probably Buendia moving forward, who Dean would have really struggled to move on from), we improve, but this new manager develops their own favourites in this time meaning they struggle to improve the squad past a certain point, form dips, they get sacked, new manager comes in and does the same thing. 

That's why IMO Sir Alex was so special. He was never afraid to sell his favourites and bring in new players, he managed to keep that team fresh and motivated for decades.

You are right, that's why the players can't be bigger than the manager.

SG is so driven for success, he won't let that get in the way. Sure he will have favourites, but my suspicion is, that will be based on what they do for him, like Young, not how they treat him.

I think if standards drop, players will be dropped.....SG will not tolerate free loaders.

I think we have a different beast now, "Winning Mentality" encompasses many factors around the place, and it is infectious, the culture will change and the " no excuses" is a very apt way of describing it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Very encouraging three games to start off his career here. Don't think anyone would have dealt well with Man Citeh in the first half, they were simply unreal. Good rally in the second half and I felt we were always a threat.

• Like 2

Despite the defeat I’ve come away feeling really positive. We look so much better in all departments than we did a few weeks ago - really pleased by what Gerrard and his team have brought to us. Intelligence, effort and intensity.

Unfortunately in the first half we caught Man City in one of those spells where they’re on another planet. Mind you, when you look at what their squad cost, they should be.

Optimistic for the remainder of the season. 

• Like 2

We won the first two games on the strength of the defensive shape and hard work without really showing too much going forward. Taking in to account the level of the opposition, I thought we looked much more threatening with the ball tonight.

Really promising signs of improvement from game to game. I'm optimistic about the direction he's taking us.

Â