Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Credit to the team for continuing to play the ball out from the back despite it being very risky against Man City’s pressing. On the times we did break the press, we were able to get at them and if only Bailey had passed to Buendia…

Gerrard and his team have done some great work so far and this game - particularly second half - was impressive given how dominant Man City were at times.

Leicester are a good side and it’ll be a tough game on Sunday, but I have real belief that we can win that. 

It seems that he is trying to get them to get football from the back out, regardless of opposition.

Leaves my heart in my mouth many times though. You wonder if he is trying to instill the belief and routine into them until they are confident enough to do it properly.

I mean, Man City were a masterclass of how to play around at the back.

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Easily the closest we've come to getting something from a game against those vampires since we got promoted. I'm loving the Gerrard era. 

Engels hit the bar in the cup final late on

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If Gerrard can continue to put a Villa team out with this type of performance we will be doing very well. I can't see us dropping points against Leicester. The FA cup this year may be a very enjoyable journey

In the second half we were the better team... And I can't remember the last time that was the case against Man City. I feel Leicester can be got especially as we are at home. I'd prefer a strong league showing this year instead of the distraction of a cup run (but both would be nice!). 

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

In the second half we were the better team... And I can't remember the last time that was the case against Man City. I feel Leicester can be got especially as we are at home. I'd prefer a strong league showing this year instead of the distraction of a cup run (but both would be nice!). 

Yeah, the 2nd half was a joy to watch. The most enjoyable loss I have ever seen. Leicester are there for the taking, and not just a scrappy 1-0, we could actually turn them over comfortably. I too would like a strong league showing but the performance last night suggested we could beat anyone on our day. Extrapolating that logic a little suggests we could win the FA Cup this season. That would be silverware and a Europa place. I would LOVE that 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If Gerrard can continue to put a Villa team out with this type of performance we will be doing very well. I can't see us dropping points against Leicester. The FA cup this year may be a very enjoyable journey

But you could see by the first 10 minutes they are still suffering a bit from the old regime.

It will take a while to change the mentality.

We need to stay patient.

• Haha 1

Well so far so good. 

We look more organised, much better shape when defending and tonight against a  very good team there were signs of us starting to have a bit of fluidity going forward. Hopefully we can maintain this because against weaker opposition we'll give someone a spanking soon. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But you could see by the first 10 minutes they are still suffering a bit from the old regime.

It will take a while to change the mentality.

We need to stay patient.

I agree. It will take a bit of time. But I am enjoying the progress I am seeing and it is currently pointing in the right direction. Gerrard looks to be getting us to play football the way I personally like to see t played. I just hope he continues with this and doesn’t change to a safer option over time 

17 minutes ago, VBM said:

Well so far so good. 

We look more organised, much better shape when defending and tonight against a  very good team there were signs of us starting to have a bit of fluidity going forward. Hopefully we can maintain this because against weaker opposition we'll give someone a spanking soon. 

Leicester on Sunday :)

Gerrard just has something, almost intangible about his management.

Firstly, you can tell he has extremely high standards and that's carried over from his playing days. He was a world class elite footballer and understands the dedication and effort it takes. He now expects that from every single one of his players. And. unlike Rangers if a player doesn't want to give that we have to resources to bring in a quality replacement.

With his backroom staff, he is humble enough to admit he needs help from a training and perhaps tactical perspective (Beale, Gary Mac)

He has that raw passion of a Simeone, Guardiola, younger Mourinho etc 

He is still an idol to many football players, so commands that instant respect. If he tells a Mcginn, Nakamba, Luis etc that wasn't good enough they have no choice but to listen. It's no coincidence that our midfield unit has immediately improved.

He talks well and just "gets it".

• Like 2

Â