Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

35 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Possession does matter, but the possession % stat is very misleading.

What matters is a combination of:

• Possession
  • Territory (in your own defensive 3rd, middle 3rd or final 3rd?)
  • How many opposition players are behind the ball

The reason teams target the transitions is that final point. If you win the ball and then move it quickly up the pitch, you catch the other team before they can get men behind the ball. That kind of possession is worth so much more than when you slowly advance it up the pitch with 10 defenders lined up in front of you.

That's why you need CBs and CMs who can pick out passes through the lines. Every time you play the ball through the lines, you've suddenly taken 3 or 4 defenders out of the game.

What Gerrard has noticeably changed is that although we're conceding possession more easily, we're actually getting more men behind the ball (in a tighter shape) when we're out of possession, and when we do get possession, we're looking to drive up the pitch as quickly as possible. We're also trying to harass and counter press in numbers to win possession high up the pitch.

It's very similar to the Klopp philosophy, but obviously we don't have as much ability, and aren't executing it as well. But I think we actually have a very good squad for this style of play - lots of number 8s we can rotate, some hardworking wingers, and Watkins is perfect for this system.

See, my initial thought was that it is similar to Klopp and Liverpool, so I checked out Liverpool's possession stats, and they are the second highest in the league, behind Man City. Which burst my bubble a bit cos I always thought of them as a counter attacking side.  

18 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

See, my initial thought was that it is similar to Klopp and Liverpool, so I checked out Liverpool's possession stats, and they are the second highest in the league, behind Man City. Which burst my bubble a bit cos I always thought of them as a counter attacking side.  

Yep but that’s because of player quality. If you watch what they’re trying to do, they aren’t trying to just knock it around to get the possession % up. They’re always playing it progressively. The difference is their players are so good that they don’t often lose the ball when they play risky passes, and when they do lose it, they win it back *very* quickly.

I’m sure this is what Gerrard is trying to do here, but will take a season or two at least.

• Like 1

Possession thing is an interesting one.

Don't think Gerrard wants to play like Brighton and just pass a lot just for the sake of it.

More like Klopp who want to play in the opposition half and pin them in with a high line and aggressive press so they can't get out.

Obviously this will demand a lot from the fullbacks, and it requires ball playing centre halves.

Summer window will be very interesting.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Again some really interesting comments from Gerrard in the post-match...

Things like Villa need to learn to be savvy, cute, stop the game and/or foul where necessary in the transitions. It's not often you hear a manager discuss this but it is football, to stop the momentum of the opponent at every opportunity.

As he says, it will happen eventually and it's an aspect of Villa's game lacking for so long which is a cynical or nasty streak when appropriate.

Gerrard's a winner on so many levels and I expect the players will strive for this too!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Deano's ten straight wins did nothing for you, then? 

Well said Mike.

The disrespect shown to Smith by some fans is a disgrace. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Again some really interesting comments from Gerrard in the post-match...

Things like Villa need to learn to be savvy, cute, stop the game and/or foul where necessary in the transitions. It's not often you hear a manager discuss this but it is football, to stop the momentum of the opponent at every opportunity.

As he says, it will happen eventually and it's an aspect of Villa's game lacking for so long which is a cynical or nasty streak when appropriate.

Gerrard's a winner on so many levels and I expect the players will strive for this too!

For sure! We need to be cleverer in how we can break up play more effectively. We shouldn’t be viewed as pushovers that are easily steamrolled. 

4 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

This is the most impressive thing for me. For the very first time in a very long time, we didn't let City cut through us relentlessly. They almost looked like a very advanced Brighton out there at times, not anywhere near as thrratenjng as they usually are, especially against us.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I know that managers aren’t technically allowed to sub themselves on, but if they were then Stevie G would be much more useful than Dean Smith. And I’m glad Purslow realised that and did what he had to do.

And Gary McAllister on the pitch over Craig Shakespeare 😂

Â