Pre-match Thread

alreadyexists

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

we have been "that team" for literally a couple of decades m8.

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

A few players have that with us. With the likes of Lampard and Gerrard having that sort of record, it’s nothing mystical. While they were playing, Villa were the weakest mainstay of the league. 

If, I don’t know, Baggies or someone were in the top flight as often, it would be them with that sort of record. Circling the drain for so many years between 2010 and 2016 helped with these sort of stats. I bet Sunderland are near the top for players favourite opposition teams in this regard.

I was mildly surprised to see that’s the case with Welbeck, but only mildly.

Lads, don't look so deep into my post. 

It was tongue in cheek rhetorical - we're all aware of stuff like this and I was just pointing it out as gentle inclusive humour. In all honesty it's probably just a symptom of the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.

7 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Based on what has been said in the media about who is out then i hope for this 

..................martinez

Cash    konsa  tuanzebe   Mings 

Ramsey   Iroegbunam   McGinn

Buendia           Ings            Watkins 

I would like to see this but Mings for axel and Targett to start. Mings isn’t a left back, regardless if he used to be or not he should never play there again. Lamptey will turn him inside out. 

• Confused 1

I've become so half-arsed with this team in the last few weeks because of their shoddy performances and poor results, I hope today that changes and they make the fans happy for a change. 

The club has punched well below its weight for the last decade, while clubs like today's opponents have punched well above theirs. Sad indictment of the way this club has gone.

I firmly believe the team has enough to score more goals than Brighton and win the match, but it needs strong collective performances at both ends of the pitch. 

Ultimately virtually every player in our first team has underperformed this season, in particular: Bailey, Buendia, Watkins, Konsa, Mings, Targett (compared to last season), even Ings and Martinez have been below par. The only player who has probably performed reasonably is Luiz and the guy's injured again today it seems.

I hope Gerrard can find a winning formula quickly. The team needs to be better balanced and defend much better. It stands a much better chance of winning football matches if it can shut the opposition out and stop conceding laughable goals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Iroegbunam hasn't played a single minute of senior football and people want him to start what's perhaps the most important game of the season so far?spacer.png

If we have Nakamba Luiz and Sanson out it leaves one senior central midfielder available in McGinn. Maybe then Axel at DM rather than Iroegbunam. I was trying to find a way not to play Ash in central midfield! 

• Like 2

Quite excited for today. Actually got offered a ticket but sadly had to turn it down. Will however be watching from the sofa.

Must admit, I was never convinced with Gerrard but he’s here and I’m looking forward to what team he plays and what he can get out of them. Brighton aren’t a bad team this season but they’re certainly winnable as a first game. 

We will win today if their goalie is out. 100%.

As soon as it’s confirmed I’m whacking money on us. 

Trust me and trust the process.

edit: I don’t know what the last part means it just seemed like a good thing to say at the end of the post :)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

edit: I don’t know what the last part means it just seemed like a good thing to say at the end of the post :)

Their keeper is suspended, doesn’t need confirming. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

#professor 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Hope he rolls Chuk out and not Nakamba

Nakamba is injured.

Take your pick, three from McGinn, J Ramsey, Chukwuemeka, A Ramsey, Young, Iroegbanum or maybe Buendia or Tuanzebe.

The big problem in that list is finding a midfield with a balance - I think we'll sacrifice McGinn's endeavour and put him in a withdrawn role - he's half the player in that position, but twice as good an option as Young or Tuanzebe.

January can't come soon enough.

Good luck gaffer!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nakamba is injured.

Has that been confirmed because I thought he only mentioned Sanson and Luiz in the presser?

I keep reading it but I’ve not seen where it’s come from

Edited by a m ole