Pre-match Thread

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Again agreed, but buying someone like Edouard (half the price, much lower wages, much younger and happy to come south and play as first reserve) would have made much more sense to me. Use the headroom on McKennie or El Ghazi replacement.

I think, unfortunately, we haven't seen the best of Danny or Ollie.....That doesn't mean, they are not good players.

I believe, we will, in time see these players playing much better for us....so many of our players are playing within themselves.....I expect to see that change, gradually.

On 14/11/2021 at 14:40, pintpotvilla said:

Well that's not true is it? Carney, Jadon & Cameron say Hi!!

We would have seen more of them, if we was winning games, Dean protected them and trying to gain points with the experienced players....which was understandable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yikes.  A new manager in place and barely 2 pages of discussion about how he might approach this?🤔

Guess we're as clueless as he will be given he'll only meet the full team 48 hours before the game. 

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think, unfortunately, we haven't seen the best of Danny or Ollie.....That doesn't mean, they are not good players.

I believe, we will, in time see these players playing much better for us....so many of our players are playing within themselves.....I expect to see that change, gradually.

I think they are both very good players, I just don't believe Ings was the right purchase for us for reasons set out above. However, now he is here I do think he will be a good squad player (albeit an expensive one!)

We have some excellent kids coming through. However, if we are aspiring to reach top 6 I don't think we want to be seeing much of them at this stage!

Personally, I would have liked to see another central midfielder come in last summer (say McKennie or similar) and JJ go out on loan to the top of the championship and play 30+ games there. If he did well enough, he should then be coming back next summer and maybe push an established star out or get a loan out to a bottom half PL team to prove his capabilities. I don't see Chelski leaving space for Gilmour and Gallagher but, if they are good enough, they will force their way back in as Mount has.

From what I have seen of JPB he should be in the championship playing 90 mins in the second half of the season. Unless we are not signing a new wide player to replace El Ghazi in which case I would use him ahead of AEG. Archer could also get loaned to the Championship.

I think it is useful to have Carney and middle Ramsey and possibly Iregbonum around the first team squad but I think the first two need a good loan next summer.

I don't want them learning on our dollar but I do want them getting proper experience and being developed in the right way.

1 minute ago, troon_villan said:

Martinez, Cash, Mings, McGinn, Watkins all first teamers away from training today.  Anyone else?  Not ideal even with those having less prep.

Watkins was training today as he’s on the official pics.  Nakamba is away and got injured over the weekend I think.  Not sure on Traore or Luiz as they’ve been removing from injury. Sanson was in France over the weekend but assume he’ll be training this week.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Martinez, Cash, Mings, McGinn, all first teamers away from training today.  Anyone else?  Not ideal even with those having less prep.

edit - Watkins was at training.

Cash is about to play his first home game for Poland 

• Like 1

On 15/11/2021 at 11:16, barry'sboots said:

I think they are both very good players, I just don't believe Ings was the right purchase for us for reasons set out above. However, now he is here I do think he will be a good squad player (albeit an expensive one!)

I agree with you, two very good but two very different players. They will give Gerrard very different options and I think  a clever manager could work out how to use them.

On 15/11/2021 at 23:06, roonst83 said:

Guess we're as clueless as he will be given he'll only meet the full team 48 hours before the game. 

True but which players will he only have 48 hours with that are key? Martinez/Mings/Cash/Bailey? He'll know all about the first three without having to have moved from his set top box at home - and being in the game is likely to know about Bailey. Not sure it'll be too taxing for him.

2 hours ago, peterw said:

True but which players will he only have 48 hours with that are key? Martinez/Mings/Cash/Bailey? He'll know all about the first three without having to have moved from his set top box at home - and being in the game is likely to know about Bailey. Not sure it'll be too taxing for him.

Also McGinn, Ramsey and Nakamba. Not sure what the state of play is with Luiz or Sanson so the midfield will be the most interesting section dilemma. 

Douglas Luiz is indoors at Bodymoor today on the watt bike - if he doesn't make Saturday, depending on Sanson we're really going to be struggling.

If Sanson makes it, then Sanson, Ramsey and McGinn is passable - if Sanson doesn't make it then I'm not sure what we do. I really don't want to see McGinn put back into the deeper role where he's completely ineffective, but I guess we'd have to.

New manager, same problem.

• Like 1