The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yeah this is a bit misleading. Not intentionally I’m sure, perhaps you missed it, but he is careful to say the Gerrard rumour isn’t coming from anyone at the club. Of the club, he says there’s a shortlist and they will be talking to them over the coming days.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is Gerrard mind you, but it could just as easily be a name completely flying under the radar at present. 

I just went back to check it, and the relevant part is here:

After talking about talking to people at the club, he then says 'it sounds like - and this hasn't come from the club by the way - it sounds like Gerrard is the one they might target'. I interpreted that as 'this is what I've heard from talking to people but it's not in any way official'; however, I understand there are other possible ways of interpreting that.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

I for one would like to see us get Ron Atkinson back.

An 82 year old man who hasn't managed in 22 years and also lost his last job as a pundit for using a racial slur on the air...  That will go over well with our political activist captain.  

I think it would be a bit of a “get” if they brought in Gerrard. I remember thinking Leicester did well bringing in Rodgers from Celtic (who were the existing champs and leading the league again). 

And I think Leicester were in a healthier position than we find ourselves in.

Obviously Gerrard doesn’t have the same management pedigree as Rodgers but I think it would be a bit of a coup. Or at least I think I can convince myself it would be.

Still not 100% on this (or even 75%) but I can see an appeal here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

In a third rate league. 
I don’t dislike him, or think that potentially he could be a good manager, but there is no way you could convince me that his track record proves or even hints that he’s up to a Premier League job, because it objectively does not. The PL is the most competitive league in the world, with the best managers. The Scottish League, sad to say is not.

If that is the case, then the appointment has to be a gamble. They may feel it’s a gamble worth taking, but it is a gamble. 

For my part, I don’t think we should be gambling right now. There is too much to lose.

Plus, honestly, i’d like to think that we were at least getting rid of DS because we had seen an opportunity to move forward, not just to take a gamble on the possibility that SG might work out. 

Experience may not be high in their list of priorities. That doesn’t make it a gamble either, at least in so much as every appointment and signing the football club make is a gamble. They’re not just picking names out of a hat, at least I hope not. I expect them to do their due diligence and meet with these guys, if he doesn’t wow them then he won’t get the job. Despite what people may think, Purslow is a serious man, as are our owners. 

You might have a different set of priorities and that’s ok and I might agree with you to a certain extent depending on who is available, but I just don’t think any of this means they “don’t have a plan”.

• Like 1

I am sure other clubs fans disapprove of the decision.  This could stop our slide.  I do know top premier league clubs dont keep their manager when they lose 5 straight after they have been backed. Again love Smith but our CEO is just doing his job. I would think he was crazy if he let this go to 6 with the same head coach.

Favre under consideration according to Tom Collomose, I think he broke a few stories concerning us in the summer, including being the first to break the Bailey transfer. Say we'd face tought fight to get Gerrard.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Gerrard would not be good for bringing youth through either, don't think there is any regular starters for them who came through their academy apart from Nathan Patterson who is still 2nd choice right back. The likes of Favre would be different level entirely with a proven track record when it comes to bringing though our youth.

Well it could be the youth set up isn’t good enough ? And I’m sure Carney, Iroegbunam, Lindley. A&J Ramsey etc would relish learning from Gerrard after all he achieved in the game and I’m sure that will be a pre requisite of any new manager they’d be expected to promote youth… Agree though, I’d also rather have Farve. 

I think we could do worse than Gerrard. He's a young manager who is having success, he knows the PL, and he can draw good players. I'd prefer him to most of the other names mentioned. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Out of Terry, Lampard and Gerrard I would undoubtedly prefer Gerrard. 

Same but I would prefer none of them. on the flip side I would support any of them if the board decides otherwise. They have earnt my confidence.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

26 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Why are some people acting like hiring Gerrard would be similar to Derby with Lampard and Rooney, or if we hired Terry, or even when Rangers signed Gerrard?

He has managed just under 200 games with Rangers and has broke Celtic's hegemony in Scotland by winning the league last season, he's not just some untested ex-pro. Sure you can argue whether success with Rangers will translate to the Premier League, but that's different to pretending he's only getting a look in because he's an ex pro or knows Purslow, he's getting a look in because he's done a **** great job at Rangers!

I can get on board with this if he did it with Hearts or something. We're talking about Rangers here. What he's done is about on par with Lampard getting to a playoff final with Derby and top 4 with Chelsea under a transfer embargo. I wouldn't think either of them is an upgrade on Smith

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think people are being harsh on the club when they keep saying things like this.

We are like a huge business with billionaire owners and big ambition. It's what managers look for. 

There's no proof Newcastle will or can spend and attract decent players, much more of a risk than us.

Fully aware how big we are as a club. But we're not going to attract a world class manager unfortunately. Best we can do is a potentially world class one.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Out of Terry, Lampard and Gerrard I would undoubtedly prefer Gerrard. 

Well yeah, but that’s hardly an inspiring list. Terry has never managed, and Lampard underachieved with a great Derby team, before underachieving with a great Chelsea team.