The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

26 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Not correct mate we wouldn’t pay what Southampton wanted. He signed the contract once we walked away . 

He signed a 5 year deal less than a year before we were interested (17th August 2020) then he signed a new improved 5 year contract

Edited by Kiwivillan

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

My only issue with Gerrard is we know that when klopp goes he will be off to liverpool 

And that would be the better scenario if we appointed him. The bad outcome would be that he wasn’t very good and Liverpool wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. It’s almost a lose/lose situation. 

23 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

i have a feeling that we will go after frank lampard for the manager's job.

We won't.

21 minutes ago, Eastie said:

With the close realationship between purslow and Gerrard I think he will be the man heading down south to villa park - will certainly be putting a huge wad on stevie G although for me I think we should try for potter but think Gerrard is nailed on 

You're right about the relationship, however, I'm not sure he would give up the Rangers job that easily Eastie, he has a good thing up there still.

John Terry.

He knows the club already, he has coached these players already, he has the similar relationship with Purslow as Lampard and Gerrard.

If I had to stick money on it being one of those 3, it would be Terry I would wager on.

You’d be mad not to at least consider Potter: The man is clearly a very good coach and has a good football brain. However, part of me instinctively feels we need a manager with a bit more gravity in the game, someone who top players would want to come play for, someone the media would write about, someone who would raise our profile. 

I have no idea who that would be, mind you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We won't.

You're right about the relationship, however, I'm not sure he would give up the Rangers job that easily Eastie, he has a good thing up there still.

John Terry.

He knows the club already, he has coached these players already, he has the similar relationship with Purslow as Lampard and Gerrard.

If I had to stick money on it being one of those 3, it would be Terry I would wager on.

That would be a horrible appointment. His first job as a manager? They’re not that naive

14 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we sack Smith and replace him with Terry, Lampard or Gerrard, then we deserve to go down.

We need an experienced, proven, quality manager that is better than Smith. Not seen anything from the 3 mentioned above to suggest that they would be.

As much as I disagreed with the Nuno sacking, at least Spurs brought in Conte. We need to start acting like a club with ambitions of European football.

I literally come to post this

In the cold light of day when talk of Lampard or Terry is a possible realism Eddie Howe doesn’t look a bad appointment. If that’s the market they want being English and knows the league. He isn’t a bad manager, Just not likeable but he got little tin pot (billionaire owned) Bournemouth to the prem and kept them up for 5 season playing good football… Too late anyhow but would have him over those two no doubt ! 

Edited by thabucks

• JT - NO
  • Gerrard - NO
  • Lampard - NO
  • Faurve - YES
  • Potter - YES
  • Ten Hag - YES
  • Zidane - Dont know why I threw that in.
  • Lowe - NO....touches his bum mid game and smells his finger!
  • Klinsmann - YES....Don't know why. 
  • Big Fat Sam - F*** off
  • Nuno - EspiritNO
  • Emery - Just to troll Newcastle......YES.

I've forgotten loads, but please add in the same manner fellow cry babies.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

£100m for him is looking like good business now to be fair! We might be able to buy him back for about £20m in the summer 

Is it though?

We've looked like absolute shit in his absence.

I think £100m was still too cheap.

Even Purslow the bright spark has admitted he stuck the £100m clause in because he didn't think anyone would pay it, when everyone and their brother knows he is one of the best players in the PL. It's peanuts for a player of his ability and what he meant/did for Aston Villa.

As I say, another master stroke by Purslow, and people wonder why Liverpool fans couldn't stand the clown!

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We won't.

John Terry.

Think the issue is would  Gerrard Leave mid season as did Rodgers at Celtic for Leicester - as for JT I believe he burnt his bridges at villa 

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If the choice was Gerrard, Lampard or Terry, I'd keep the faith with Smith and trust him to bring us back up. 

Absolutely. I don't want a manager who basically can't stop fawning over their love for another club.

• Like 1

Just now, Eastie said:

Think the issue is would  Gerrard Leave mid season as did Rodgers at Celtic for Leicester - as for JT I believe he burnt his bridges at villa 

Rodgers had a falling out with the Celtic hierarchy IIRC?

Does anyone yet know why Terry departed this summer?