The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Next up, Brighton and Palace.

After that Leicester, Man City, Liverpool. If we don't sack him before those two winnable games, we're looking likely to lose 10 on the bounce, he has to go so the new manager has a chance, 

Absolutely right.

• Like 1

Said it before but I'd be happy with Hassenhuttl.

Southampton are limited but they showed once again v us they can play a coherent style of play. 10 points from their last 4 games and also drawn with both Manchester clubs.

Honestly think he'd do well with our squad.

Can't believe I'm typing this but we probably need a Big Sam type to come in and stop the rot. Get some clean sheets and draws on the board at least. He did similar at Everton at this stage in 17-18 season. That type of appointment can only be to end of the season though. Let's be honest standard of football we're currently attempting is worse than what an Allyrdyce team  would come up with aswell.

• Like 3

Just now, Lerner's Driver said:

Absolutely right.

It reminds me of when Sherwood kept losing some winnable home games at start of 15/16. Think we had all of West Brom, Sunderland, Stoke, Swansea under him. Then Garde's first two games at VP were Man. City and Arsenal so we simply got no bounce and basically were relegated by December.

Nowhere near as bad currently but that surely is playing on mind of the owners and Purslow.

• Like 2

Just now, VillaChris said:

It reminds me of when Sherwood kept losing some winnable home games at start of 15/16. Think we had all of West Brom, Sunderland, Stoke, Swansea under him. Then Garde's first two games at VP were Man. City and Arsenal so we simply got no bounce and basically were relegated by December.

Nowhere near as bad currently but that surely is playing on mind of the owners and Purslow.

Agreed, just as winning breeds success, losing can become a habit and we are currently only heading in one direction. We need to interfere with the momentum before it becomes unstoppable.

There isn't a manager currently unemployed who you wouldn't assume equals relegation. Maybe Dean will survive for this reason - or maybe we go full statistical crazy and bring in a 3rd divsion Albanian manager who's statistically amazing...

If Smith leaves I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with Nuno, I wouldn't particularly want him, but seems a safe option, has recent experience of the Premier League, you can't really say he's been a total failure at either Wolves or Spurs, he has quite a pragmatic style so probably wouldn't try and change things too quickly, and has also shown that he can get a non 'big six' team in Europe.

The only thing that I wonder that might put our owners off is that as far as I'm aware he doesn't have much of a track record of bringing through youngsters, which is something I think we'd be looking for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It will be John Terry.

Just not sure? Did he leave under a cloud with Purslow?

Wouldn’t be my first choice but I think Purslow may try and lure Gerrard? He likes him a lot allegedly.

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Any of these available? 

1. Julian Nagelsmann
2. Marco Rose
3. Ruben Amorim
4. Roberto De Zerbi
5. Steven Gerrard
6. Diego Martinez
7. Xabi Alonso
8. Raul Gonzalez
9. Gerardo Seoane

Went from absolutely impossible, to not even better than Dean Smith in the span of 5 options.

• Like 1

Just now, Made In Aston said:

Any of these available? 

1. Julian Nagelsmann
2. Marco Rose
3. Ruben Amorim
4. Roberto De Zerbi
5. Steven Gerrard
6. Diego Martinez
7. Xabi Alonso
8. Raul Gonzalez
9. Gerardo Seoane

Would have loved Seoane, but he just moved to Leverkusen  this season.

I’d hate to see DS go as it’s been a fairytale to have him at the helm , not the people I would want to replace him  but wouldn’t be surprised to see nuno or frank and his sidekick John installed 

12 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Just not sure? Did he leave under a cloud with Purslow?

Wouldn’t be my first choice but I think Purslow may try and lure Gerrard? He likes him a lot allegedly.

I'm not sure why or what made him leave.

He wouldn't be my first choice either.

Purslow is a big fan of Gerrard but I cannot see Gerrard walking out on Rangers, who are also in Europe, to take the Villa job.

Personally, I think we should approach Brentford and hire Thomas Frank.