The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

I honestly don't know why people think Lampard is such a bad choice. You'd think he was a completely failure everywhere he's been with the way people talk about him.

Thought he did pretty decently first year at Chelsea bringing up the youth and during his time at Derby getting them to the playoffs. It's really just that second year at Chelsea he looked bad but getting sacked by Chelsea isn't exactly this gigantic red mark on your CV is it? Plenty of quality managers have been.

I'm not saying he's good, but just don't know why people think he's been so terrible.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

What manager has left villa and gone on to have a better managerial career in the longest time?

Very few to none. To the outsider the villa job looks like a poison chalice. That's why I think our options are going to be limited to dinosaur has beens or ex players with limited managerial experience.

Eg Allardyce, Gerrard or Terry.

All vomit inducing options.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

What manager has left villa and gone on to have a better managerial career in the longest time?

Very few to none. To the outsider the villa job looks like a poison chalice. That's why I think our options are going to be limited to dinosaur has beens or ex players with limited managerial experience.

Eg Allardyce, Gerrard or Terry.

All vomit inducing options.

Cant think of many. Going back to the 60s Joe Mercer left and won the league at Man city. Tommy Docherty but we are going back a long time 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we sack Smith and replace him with Terry, Lampard or Gerrard, then we deserve to go down.

We need an experienced, proven, quality manager that is better than Smith. Not seen anything from the 3 mentioned above to suggest that they would be.

I remember when Brian Little lost his job as Villa manager.

We went and hired a manager from Wycombe Wanderers who were 2 divisions below Villa at the time! - He turned out to be a decent appointment in the end.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I honestly don't know why people think Lampard is such a bad choice. You'd think he was a completely failure everywhere he's been with the way people talk about him.

Thought he did pretty decently first year at Chelsea bringing up the youth and during his time at Derby getting them to the playoffs. It's really just that second year at Chelsea he looked bad but getting sacked by Chelsea isn't exactly this gigantic red mark on your CV is it? Plenty of quality managers have been.

I'm not saying he's good, but just don't know why people think he's been so terrible.

You mean in the playoffs in which Smith tactically outsmarted him?  He did a ok job at Chelsea for about a year. People have been complaining that Smith is learning on the job at Villa- Lampard has had less than 3 years managerial experience. Wouldn't be impressed if he came to us.

18 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I am not against Lampard because I do not believe he isn’t/cannot be a good manager…

I don’t want Lampard because he is a WIP manager with the weight of his name, experience and success Vs expectation that inevitably brings and also because. I’m not sure at this juncture going English is the route forwards given the scarcity of high class candidates. Obviously unless it’s Potter, buts that’s not happening! So the options are to look down to the championship, out of work managers or go continental. No viable mangers in the Prem would take the job now. 

We need to recover the season fast and try and build momentum again, rather than be left in a position where we act too late and it’s a season of staying up and consolidation.

#announcefarve 

Edited by thabucks

I genuinely can’t believe that we’re debating which of Gerrard, Lampard or Terry we would choose to take over. If those are the options you can put me firmly in the Dean Smith camp.

As it is I think he’ll go. Whether we can attract someone better than the three names above or Craig Shakespeare will tell everyone whether NSWE still believe in the project here.

I’m starting to fear that losing Grealish and the Newcastle takeover might be to NSWE what the Man City takeover was to Randy Lerner to be honest.

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Normally when these threads are made I get tinge of excitement about the potential a new era will bring.

Even putting aside my disappointment of the (likely) end of Smith’s reign, I’m really struggling to muster much enthusiasm about the names being mentioned. Well, certainly the ones deemed more realistic.

That's the problem. When O'Neill and Houllier left, I was genuinely excited. Right now I'm looking at the realistic candidates and it's just like...we're not going to be anything for at least a year are we?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Would you get Ole if he were available? Because Lampard is in the same vein and is even worse than him. 

31 minutes ago, El Zen said:

You’d be mad not to at least consider Potter: The man is clearly a very good coach and has a good football brain. However, part of me instinctively feels we need a manager with a bit more gravity in the game, someone who top players would want to come play for, someone the media would write about, someone who would raise our profile. 

I have no idea who that would be, mind you. 

Why would Potter quit Brighton to join a relegation battle? 

The other night I thought waiting out regardless and see closer to Xmas who might come available after the first stages of the champions league,  based dodgy league form, or a trigger happy chairman would’ve been a sensible approach… Now I hope/think he goes by Sunday… 

For me the two managers that would get me excited would be Graham Potter or Thomas Frank. I think either one of these would be a great fit for the club and would take us to the required next level in the current set up. 

I don't think either would leave their clubs currently though unless we threw a lot of money at the club and the manager salaries