The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's gonna be JT, Gerrard or Lampard. 

Have this feeling. 

If that is the case, I could see it being JT till the end of the season, as a familiar face.

Maybe as an evaluation period, with a view to a " proper manager " in the summer.

I don't think we'd offer the job to either Terry, or Lampard, and I don't think Gerrard would leave Rangers in the middle of the season, unless perhaps Liverpool came in for him. If Smith goes, will probably be a case of either going for a 'safe' option such as Nuno, Allardyce, or Hodgson, or taking a 'risk' on someone like Gallardo.

Maybe Ralf Rangnick could be an option.

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

With the close realationship between purslow and Gerrard I think he will be the man heading down south to villa park - will certainly be putting a huge wad on stevie G although for me I think we should try for potter but think Gerrard is nailed on 

Not aware of that relationship, Purslow wasn’t exactly popular at Anfield. I don’t think Gerrard would tough the job, would be a huge gamble for him.

9 minutes ago, TomC said:

Which is why they may wait until the January transfer window...

Decmember is very tough with Chelsea aswell on Boxing day. However we do also have Norwich away and Burnley at home within four days if I've looked at fixture order correctly.

We simply need 6 points from that and as it stands far more chance with a new manager. If we can get points from those two games and get a draw and a win from somewhere else then 20 points by end of 2021 would at least get us close to mid table again and hopefully improve in second half of the season.

Personally I'd give a new manager Brighton and Palace as not impossible we could get 4 points from those two games as we've seen it many times squads with low confidence suddenly wake up when a new and fresh voice comes in.

Manager also gets two months to assess the squad before January window aswell.

Edited by VillaChris

don't forget purslow has connections to both liverpool and chelsea, i.e. Gerrard and Lampard. They will be bookies favourites for sure, villa know that they won't be able to attract one of the managerial elite at this moment in time and so will  have to go for someone with something to prove who is still learning their craft. a left field appointment, similar to how palace went with veira....dont forget purslow is a commercial man and gerrard and lampard are both big names domestically and internationally also. They would be good bets to make if the decision to part with deano's services is made.

6 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

i've got a weird feeling about the short term. I think that either deano will be given th enext 2 games to turn it around, or if he is sacked i have a feeling that we will go after frank lampard for the manager's job. Not sure why, just seems like a move the board would be keen on given that he is young and tries to play the right way, plus the trend at the moment is to hire young managers

If we end up with Lampard or Gerrard replacing a decent bloke who is a Villa fan, I'll have to have a cry. It wasn't meant to be like this.. it was meant to be the Dean and Jack show. How quickly the dream turns sour. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

So they have only been in it for half the time and they have only won about a half a dozen games between then and yet we have played more games and have a worse record. It is very really damning

The record is specifically about losses. I haven't looked into winrates, but I strongly suspect we have a much better win % and points per game than both of those sides, or they'd use that stat instead.

1 minute ago, TomC said:

Which is why they may wait until the January transfer window...

If we sack him in January we will have less chance of getting an ambitious target. We will end up with Chris Wilder.

You would hope that the discussions about potential replacements have been taking place before tonight, and we have a couple of weeks to put everything in to place.

Tonight we looked disorganised, we had fullbacks lumping it forward for wingers to try and head on to nobody at all and, at the end, were so out of ideas that we had to bring on a League One striker to try and salvage a point.

It really was awful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Not aware of that relationship, Purslow wasn’t exactly popular at Anfield. I don’t think Gerrard would tough the job, would be a huge gamble for him.

Will send you pm in morning Trent 

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why?

(not a trick question, I’m genuinely curious)

Xabi Alonso I will hold my hand up to going for the name as much as I know about his managerial abilities. What you read online and could deduce poss from his playing career he has all the attributes to be an elite manager. 

Roger Schmidt’s philosophy and style of play from what I’ve been reading up on would slot into our current set up. He is a manager I’ve kept an eye on after reading a good write up on on another Villa site during our first season in the prem … https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/tactical-analysis-roger-schmidts-psv-eindhoven/ 

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/roger-schmidt-how-he-could-transform-psv-eindhoven-tactical-analysis-tactics

The German manager has been influenced by the playing methodology deployed at the RB clubs, and this impact is still part of his playing style. To begin with, Schmidt is an attacking-minded coach. He wants his sides to always seek for the fastest but still most effective way towards the goal.

His sides usually attempt to keep the passing distances short and create triangular structures near the ball to allow simple progress of the ball. The short passing distances also mean that the ball can be circulated quickly, always changing the angles of attack and in addition to that, open up new passing lanes forward. As a consequence, the opposition can focus on defending a smaller area but need to adjust their positioning to cover all passing lanes continually…. 

Schmidt usually deployed a two-striker system in the past. Nevertheless, if Eindhoven’s squad do not possess the required personnel for a two-striker system, Schmidt might continue with a 4-2-3-1 formation that he already used at Beijing at times. Therefore, we will have to wait for the upcoming transfer window to make predictions concerning the exact system.

Lucien Farve’s pedigree speaks itself and he is without a job at present so you can say he should be worthy of approaching 

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

If the choice was genuinely Terry, Gerrard or Lampard then I'd go with Gerrard because at least he has had some success. But that is like a choice between having aids, ebola or cancer. 

My only issue with Gerrard is we know that when klopp goes he will be off to liverpool 

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

If the choice was genuinely Terry, Gerrard or Lampard then I'd go with Gerrard because at least he has had some success. But that is like a choice between having aids, ebola or cancer. 

Gerrard will be a big no no for me. As people say, piece of piss managing Rangers. As good as a one horse race up there now. he can take Brighton, when we poach Potter, that's about his level. Not wearing my glasses, but we all know Villa is a huge club to manage, an can destroy many a managers career.

Given the situation we're in with the squad, it needs to be a pragmatic manager who can handle the injury crisis and the lack of quality in midfield.

My guess is Gerrard would actually do a decent job. He's not too precious about a philosophy... he's one of those who works with what he's got. And as a personality, he would command the instant respect of the players. And unlike most of the names tipped, does have a league title to his name (admittedly in Scotland...)

Terry no chance - not having a coach with zero experience. Just not worth the risk.

Lampard is a nothing manager. No record there at all. Tuchel has really shown him up.

I'd take some of the overseas names tipped if we were changing in the summer, but mid-season I think it needs to be someone who is familiar with the league, and won't need any time to adapt.

My worry is we go for a Remi Garde type. 😫

8 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

You hit the nail on the head mate . We not yet recovered from the double act splitting up.

Another smart move by Purslow.

Inserting the measly £100m release clause into his contract!  

Absolute ****!

Edited by AvfcRigo82