The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

3 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

van gaal, proven at every level.

He's too old, he is currently managing Netherlands national team and I am sure he has also retired from club football.

If he was 10 years younger then would have definately been a good shout.

If Gerrard’s in the frame then so should Neil Lennon. He has more success and more experience. Gerrard’s reputation as a player has lifted his credentials far above where they actually are.

The reality is neither of them should be anywhere near the Villa job.

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

He's too old, he is currently managing Netherlands national team and I am sure he has also retired from club football.

If he was 10 years younger then would have definately been a good shout.

i did not know if he was , i just know he did a good job at man u & won a trophy their, in his pomp 10 yrs ago you get the elite clubs after him , if he were free now i would take him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

Can Little and Gregory come back and form a dream team?

Or is Poch available?

I was gutted when Gregory left.

Sadly both are getting on a bit now and not sure it would work. (Graham Taylor mkII)

I doubt Poch would look twice at us. 

Just now, El-Reacho said:

If Gerrard’s in the frame then so should Neil Lennon. He has more success and more experience. Gerrard’s reputation as a player has lifted his credentials far above where they actually are.

The reality is neither of them should be anywhere near the Villa job.

No chance in hell.

If Neil Lennon is the answer then I give up on football and Villa altogether.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Why go back to an antiquated system? 

Whoever we get in will be following the same philosophy as the club, that's the point of it. 

And the manager should be appointed based on the philosophy of the club. If the manager has the right philosophy then it stands to reason that his backroom staff will also follow that philosophy. It would be hugely advantageous to get a manager in that already has trusted coaches

12 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I remember when Brian Little lost his job as Villa manager.

We went and hired a manager from Wycombe Wanderers who were 2 divisions below Villa at the time! - He turned out to be a decent appointment in the end.

So you’re saying we should go for Gareth Ainsworth?

23 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

So you’re saying we should go for Gareth Ainsworth?

What I mean is that we shouldn't be quick to dismiss managers/coach's that have never managed in the PL.

They might currently manage in the championship, League 1 or even the SPL.

That aside, I like Gareth Ainsworth and think he has done a cracking job with Wycombe considering.

He wouldn't be the worst coach we could get, put it that way.

• Like 1

I'm still struggling to think of replacements.  I do like Hassenhuttl and said for a couple of years I'd like him here if the job ever came available.  Southampton haven't shown any ambition in years which is the main reason he hasn't always got the most consistent results so he could be tempted.  He could bring Ward-Prowse with him too, plus it destabilises them. 

This is the first time I've been really worried about Dean, the mental fragility since the last 10 minutes against Wolves is really hard to turn around.  There doesn't seem much togetherness at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Favre is an absolute no-brainer for me given he appears to actually be realistically attainable. 

I don't trust they'd get an appointment right to be honest.

Yeah, I don't know why, maybe it's just being a Villa fan for the past 40 years, but I'm assuming who ever they appoint after Smith will be dogshit 🤣

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Favre is an absolute no-brainer for me given he appears to actually be realistically attainable. 

I don't trust they'd get an appointment right to be honest.

Why don't you trust them?  They've only made one managerial appointment and got that right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Found it interesting what @TrentVilla alluded too, that the players may like him but not necessarily believe in his methods. We do seem like a rudderless ship at the moment, maybe that leadership was what Terry and ROK gave us, along with Jack. I've said it before, we lack leaders in all areas, Smith himself comes across as passive. 

Agreed. JT is the only spine this club has had in the last 10 years. Without him we are a wobbly mess of gutless wimps.