The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

Giving him the Brighton game seems odd.  Would a win / draw / loss in that match really be enough to make a decision on his position.  What happens if we win and then lose against Palace?  Then we are into City, Leicester and Liverpool in short succession.  Is it best to bring in a new manager then when we are unlucky to get many points.  I'd rather the Board either act or at least say that he has until Christmas.  Even then what kind of target do you put on City, Leicester, Liverpool, Norwich, Burnley, Chelsea and Leeds?!  If you have serious doubts then act.  If you don't then don't.  But this whole "he has 1 / 2 / 3" matches to prove himself is ridiculous.  Also you have to think that we won't get a new guy overnight so waiting 2 weeks then just gives us less time to get someone in ahead of an important run of matches.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

No matter who was in charge we are not going to compete with a midfield that is championship level at best. It was clear last season and it was clear from the start of this that it was an area of weakness. That's why we are losing games.  

Not sure what the answer is but the calls for Terry and Lampard type mangers are well wide of the mark. Done it before and after a few losses the pressure overwhelmes them and they become useless. We would be better off with , and it hurts me to say it. Big Sam. Who has the pescence and experience to calm the sinking ship we have become.

It's a sad day.

The day we appoint him is the day I throw my season ticket in the bin

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I think this could save Smith. There's just no one else out there.

Nah.

I think Howe is just a short term appointment to be honest. They just want someone to guide them to safety.

Top Managers probably wouldn't think it's worth the risk right now. Long term, I expect that to change.

Some managers probably don't want to join in on Mercenary type projects either, where they will possibly be chopped at any moment.

• Like 2

Just now, Follyfoot said:

The day we appoint him is the day I throw my season ticket in the bin

I agree (or I would if I had a season ticket).  Big Sam would be a much bigger step backwards than Steve Bruce was.

Of the names doing the rounds, current PL managers Potter and Frank interest me most. But switching jobs mid season rarely happens, and it would make me feel a bit uneasy - I would question that person’s character, and besides they would also be more likely to do the same to us down the line.

I can’t pretend to know much outside of the PL. Favre sounds appealing I guess, Fonseca absolutely not. Nor Terry, Lampard or Gerrard.

Just been on another site reminiscing about the 1981/82 season, when we had Ron Saunders as boss. I know it was a long time ago.

If I remember correctly  not one of his squad was an international player until after we had won the league . he stuck to basics, had a game plan and wow behold if a player deviated from it. Discipline, hard work and playing in positions rather than running all over the park. He never moaned about having players injured he said still got a job to do now go and do it.

Good old days when strikers were strikers and defenders defended. and the captain knew the game plan and made the players stick to it and not try and be everyone's best mate. Why cant this work again but we need a boss capable 

Edited by Robtaylor200

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I think Lucien Favre would be an interesting appointment.  Decent pedigree of turning clubs around, punching above their weight and bringing through youth 

Edited by macandally
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Just been on another site reminiscing about the 1981/82 season, when we had Ron Saunders as boss. I know it was a long time ago.

If I remember correctly  not one of his squad was an international player until after we had won the league . he stuck to basics, had a game plane and wow behold if a player deviated from it. Discipline, hard work and playing in positions rather than running all over the park. He never moaned about having players injured he said still got a job to do now go and do it.

Good old days when strikers were strikers and defenders defended. and the captain knew the game plan and made the players stick to it and not try and be everyone's best mate. Why cant this work again but we need a boss capable 

What site is that Rob

18 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I also worry that the best Newcastle could manage is Eddie Howe. 

I don't doubt a range of managers could get a boost out of the current crop and maybe that's what we will be forced into but I'm doubtful we are going to attract someone who will take us to that next step. 

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

My thinking is that there just isn't a clear cut getable manager out there that is anything more then a stepping stone.

I do wonder too though if a lot of decent people, with morals, will just not be interested in working for what the Newcastle owners are, regardless of money. Hence, the possible appointment of Howe, who from what I gather is a total ****.

Unei Emery for example, if he wants to come back to the Prem and from what he has said last week, I think he would consider it, I think we stand as much or even a better chance of attracting him over that regime up North.

1 minute ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Aston Villa FC group on FB   he would have been 89 today RIP Ron

I think I will get my slippers and pipe out, get over there and wax lyrical about the 76 team

• Like 1

I don't buy this 'he'll be given the Brighton game'. By that logic if he wins that game will he be just be given the next game? 

If we are going to let DS go we should do it now and get a replacement in in the next week. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Aston Villa FC group on FB   he would have been 89 today RIP Ron

I remember driving to the Leicester game and hearing of his demise on the radio. Funny enough my youngest was mascot that day. Chris Nicol and Ken Mcnaught were the old stars looking after all the mascots. Got to say I had a tear in my eye the moment I heard and was visibly shaken for the rest of the day. No doubt he will have the Holte tenders in the sky running up sand dunes. RIP Gaffer

• Like 1

No thanks to Potter or Frank, if we replace Smith it needs to be someone who's a clear and obvious improvement, we've tried the thing of appointing flavor of the moment managers that have supposedly over achieved at lesser clubs in the hope that they will be even better at a club with more money, many times before, and it doesn't work, time to try something different.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

No thanks to Potter or Frank, if we replace Smith it needs to be someone who's a clear and obvious improvement, we've tried the thing of appointing flavor of the moment managers that have supposedly over achieved at lesser clubs in the hope that they will be even better at a club with more money, many times before, and it doesn't work, time to try something different.

Favre the only option if the unthinkable does happen

• Like 4

11 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Twatter rumours of talks with Favre's reps. Be amazed if he came to us in the state we're in at the moment.

Tough if Deano goes it will be someone out of work.

He nearly joined Palace in the summer. He has done similar in Germany 

• Like 2