Ratings & Reactions: LC3: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/21 at 22:59

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Annoyed that Smith had Nakamba take a pen. Ruins the evening that. A player you know has no chance of scoring takes the 2nd pen

At least Nakambas penalty was on target, why don't you single out Young who missed?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Ridiculous bench decisions and just no need to rest so many seniors especially with a straight 90 and penalties.

I'm really disappointed regardless of the good performance.

We've binned off a cup competition and i thought Deano was better than that

We had more chances, made them look lackluster the the point where they had to bring on Mount and Lukaku to try to threaten us, and ultimately lost in a penalty shootout to the world's most expensive goalkeeper...  You make it sound like we played the entire youth team, got our teeth kicked in 10-0, and completely threw away the cup like O'Neill in Moscow.  

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Very very poor from Smith not letting any of the young players take a Pen. Nakamba took one and Archer didn't. Inexcusable from Smith that. 

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Joke? I can’t tell

The funny thing is: if it is a joke ... it's not funny and if isn't it's funny.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

No you clearing in the woods, Smith made a mistake and should be called out for it. He's made plenty before and will again. Doesn't mean all the good work he's done is irrelevant

He didn’t make a mistake imo but in your opinion he did.  Yes Nakambas penalty was saved but that doesn’t make Nakamba taking a penalty a mistake.

• Like 2

I thought with the team Dean picked they played well overall, Tuanzebe was my man of the match ably supported by Hause who produced a fantastic tackle on Lukaku. Disappointed with the result but proud of the team with the performance again away at Chelsea for the second time this season. I can’t remember the last time we actually lost on penalties, but we have the makings of a bloody good team and a squad with more depth in quality at last.

• Like 1

Better way to go out than at home to Stoke. Still very disappointing though as we have them a very good game. Voted Bertie MOTM but thought Axel and Hause were both good too. For them I thought Reece James was excellent.

Thought Young was a banker to score his pen so disappointed there. Didn’t have confidence in Marv just from the way he stepped up but seems like they wanted to keep it to the senior players only. Wish we could’ve had Anwar taking 5 in different disguises. Steer didn’t look like the keeper that starred in the play off SF shoot out.

Fantastic goal by Archer and thought Carney played well in the deeper role too.

Hope Buendia doesn’t go away in the next international break, we need to keep him In training at Bodymoor, to gel with our squad more. He had a great chance to win it late on but we were also lucky Mount didn’t score for them slightly earlier.

Smith certainly seems to have Tuchel’s number, W1 D1 L1 in their Head to Head so far.

Last thing, what a poor tackle by Barkley on JPB! Thought the ref was generally pretty good though all in all, for once!

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

If you think that was Chelsea's first team you need to watch a little more of Chelsea's football. It was not their first team, it is just a sign of their strength in depth

Yes and no

There are probably 60-70% of clubs in Europe that would kill for that starting 11 in the league. So to say its not a first team is inaccurate. It's not Chelsea's ideal starting 11 but it's not a second string by any means.

Our lads can be proud and while I don't like losing I'm not worried about the future if these lads are in it

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

If you say so 😆

It is not only me. Everyone pundit, every fan and everyone that knows anything about football will know that was not Chelsea's first team. Have a look at Chelsea's starting 11 in their league games and try and find when last that team started a game 

Was an error to limit the penalty takers to the most experienced players. Archer would be the type of player who'd have loved to take one and he's a good finisher too. He wanted to keep the younger players from any heat if they missed one. But the game doesn't have enough importance for that to happen imo so Archer should have taken one instead of Nakamba. 

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

If Nakamba hasn't of stepped up it probably would've been one of the youngsters taking it. 

That’s exactly right, the senior players took the responsibility. On another day we win the shootout, that’s just the way it is, there’s nothing to criticise or be upset about tonight. All in all it was another heartening display against a strong Chelsea team, who would have been extremely reluctant to bring on Lukaku and Mount with a big game coming up at the weekend. It’s great credit to us that two of our own subs were kids. I think we only brought Ezri Konsa on as a response to them bringing on Lukaku. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

No you clearing in the woods, Smith made a mistake and should be called out for it. He's made plenty before and will again. Doesn't mean all the good work he's done is irrelevant

You should know by now that any attempt to make even the mildest critical comments about Smith will result in OTT reactions from a certain section of Villa talk posters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am referring to this season and the beat us twice, not once. Drawing a cup game that goes to penalties and losing on penalties is still losing. 

Seems to be whatever suits your narrative captain obvious. The point being is that he has a second squad which is still good enough to be a top 4 squad, he isn’t the best coach in Europe for beating Villa, and Villa with its kids made him sweat today. UTV.

• Like 1

Â