Ratings & Reactions: LC3: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/21 at 22:59

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Was an error to limit the penalty takers to the most experienced players. Archer would be the type of player who'd have loved to take one and he's a good finisher too. He wanted to keep the younger players from any heat if they missed one. But the game doesn't have enough importance for that to happen imo so Archer should have taken one instead of Nakamba. 

And if Archer missed then the criticism would be throwing the kids into a pressure situation. 

He went with experience and it didn't work. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am referring to this season and the beat us twice, not once. Drawing a cup game that goes to penalties and losing on penalties is still losing. 

You said he'd played us twice, it's 3 times, whether 1 of those games was last season is irrelevant. Its still 3 games and we beat his Chelsea once in those 3 games. 

Edited by The Other Mat

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

It is not only me. Everyone pundit, every fan and everyone that knows anything about football will know that was not Chelsea's first team. Have a look at Chelsea's starting 11 in their league games and try and find when last that team started a game 

I’m not sure but I’m pretty sure that it’s only you that can’t see the depth of the Chelsea squad that allowed them to make so many changes to their first team and still put out a very strong, expensively assembled team. Even then they were able to put on two extremely big hitters to try to win the game at the end. I’d take that as a compliment, you take it however you like to take it. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That was not a reserve team or a team of kids they put out, the vast majority are from the first team squad.

FFS, it was not their first team. Give up!

Yes, it was a very strong team and Chelsea would find it difficult to pick a team from their squad that didn't look like a top 4 team. That is because their squad has fantastic strength in depth. And tonight they played fringe players that are not in their first team. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

And if Archer missed then the criticism would be throwing the kids into a pressure situation. 

Shades of the whole captain hindsight Grealish not taking penalty in Euros debacle

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not sure but I’m pretty sure that it’s only you that can’t see the depth of the Chelsea squad

Where have I said I cant see the depth in their squad. At the very start of this thread I commented that it was difficult for them to play a weak team. They have masses of strength in depth but the team tonight was not their first team

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Football has become a multi million pound business. Crucially we took a few years out under Ellis and Lerner. 

Quite frankly I'm amazed we've got back to where we are. We might by the law averages sneak a cup win. But regular silverware is going to take many more millions.

I try not to look at bigger picture and just enjoy each game. Tonight for example was a belting game of football - it was like a 1970s match - gone was the drab possession, sideways , slow game. Fast paced, tackles , crosses, headed goals - loved it.

I was thinking the same, I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

FFS, it was not their first team. Give up!

Yes, it was a very strong team and Chelsea would find it difficult to pick a team from their squad that didn't look like a top 4 team. That is because their squad has fantastic strength in depth. And tonight they played fringe players that are not in their first team. 

It’s their first team, I didn’t say their ‘first 11’ (whatever that is in Chelsea’s case).

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Very good performance, when I saw the teams I thought we might lose by 3/4 goals. Plenty to be encouraged by. Voted Nakamba MOTM, not often a player is better than Kante but he was tonight imo. Chelsea threw on all the big guns and we put kids on who didn’t let us down. Archer is a big bonus for us, looks like he can step up if needed. Proud of my team tonight!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WHY said:

Very good performance, when I saw the teams I thought we might lose by 3/4 goals. Plenty to be encouraged by. Voted Nakamba MOTM, not often a player is better than Kante but he was tonight imo. Chelsea threw on all the big guns and we put kids on who didn’t let us down. Archer is a big bonus for us, looks like he can step up if needed. Proud of my team tonight!!

Extremely good performance tonight. Two great games away to Chelsea and it feels unjust we came away with nothing but pride

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I can't see such an early round of a lowly EFL cup being a pressure situation which we'd hound anyone for. The EFL is a cup for the kids 

Â