Ratings & Reactions: LC3: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/21 at 22:59

Not Chelseas preffered 11 but neither was it ours.

The difference was they brought stars off the bench  and we bought our star kids off the bench . 

Twice now Tuchel has hooked his central midfielder playing us . Cannot get a greater compliment 

• Like 4

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Stronger how? We out out a team to win the game and they nearly did. Would you rather we didn't have a squad now then? 

Stop being so sensitive. Was that our strongest team in your view? Of course not.

17 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I agree with all of that and the progress the club has made in the last few years is incredible. It’s a fun time to be a Villa fan and tonight’s game was great to watch. 

For the sake of a few extra games, however,  I would just like to see us go all out to try win a trophy by selecting our strongest team. Beat Chelsea and you have a huge chance of going all the way. I know the full squad needs games, but at this stage I would rather risk a few league points by rotating than weakening our team in every cup game. Most cups we exit these days is largely down to a weakened team, yet we celebrate moral victories. It doesn’t make sense to me. Another cup win would be huge for the club but we seem to just pass it up year in year out. 

I see your point and don’t disagree with it, but I suppose it’s a bit of a balancing act when it comes to trying to put a competitive team out and still give game time to other players. Looking at the bigger picture we have to try to keep a  pretty good squad of players happy and motivated, as well as match fit. Let’s face it we drew away at Chelsea and only lost by a goal on penalties. We could have put the first team out and still not be in the draw for the next round. We’re saving ourselves for the FA Cup this year, don’t worry. 

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Amazing really isn't it. We used our squad depth, something we actually have now in spades, and people are moaning that he isn't running the first team into the ground in September. 

He thought they were good enough to win the game, and they were. 

Even when we were winning the usual crowd moaned about the lack of changes and how it would haunt us later. 

It's clear that some fans only want to criticise and will flip flop on every issue that allows them to do that. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I can't see such an early round of a lowly EFL cup being a pressure situation which we'd hound anyone for. The EFL is a cup for the kids 

But Smith and Nakamba are getting criticised now, so why would it be different? 

He's either chosen to protect them or decided that experience was the way to go. Neither is crazy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Even when we were winning the usual crowd moaned about the lack of changes and how it would haunt us later. 

It's clear that some fans only want to criticise and will flip flop on every issue that allows them to do that. 

Sports science is a big thing now too. After the debacle that was our pre-season, with all the injuries we seem to be suffering, most probably as a result, it stands to reason we would be cautious to a degree. 

In any case, we made lots of changes because we can afford to. There wasn't a single player on the pitch tonight who would look out of place starting a Premier League match. It's not like we are rolling out Henri Lansbusy and Neil Taylor anymore. I actually can't recall a Villa squad with this much depth over the last 30 years supporting the club.

This is to be celebrated, not hidden away through fear. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

A good effort and now my interest in this competition has ended before the clocks have gone back.

Seems a long wait to the FA Cup Third round. 

Lots of sexy hammerings to give teams before then

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The moment the final whistle went we had won regardless of the result of the penalties, the moment when they brought Lukaku and Georginio on at 75 minutes we had won regardless of the result. We are now a force to be reckoned with from Youth set up and up. Which has the feel of 1976 1977 again. Exciting times Villans 

Exactly. We’re coming for you like Liam Neeson in Taken.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Chelsea win loads of stuff. We don’t.

The last domestic cup they won was 17/18. They have insane investment and squad depth. 

Somehow we're expected to be pushing for a European spot in the league and still play the first 11 in the Cup games. Players will burn out. 

As improved as our overall squad is, it's still chalk and cheese compared to the likes of Chelsea. 

People would be going mad if Ollie, Ings or the likes pulled a groin or hamstring tonight. 

23 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I’m not sure where to post this because it’s not my intention to have a go at the manager after an excellent effort from a very young inexperienced team but it does annoy me that we don’t take the cups more seriously. I was lucky enough to be at Wembley in 1996 and if you said to me then that we wouldn’t win anything in the next 25 years I would have laughed my head off. Why don’t we try? We don’t play that many matches and we could have afforded to play a stronger team tonight. I wonder how many cups we could have won in the last 25 years had we taken each game seriously?! I want to see us win something again!!!

we played a cup final less than 2 years ago.

• Haha 3

Â