Ratings & Reactions: LC3: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/21 at 22:59

I only got to watch the second half from Archer’s goal, but I listened to the first half driving home. From what I saw (and heard) our boys played very well and we’re unlucky not to have won that, which is remarkable considering the team we put out. Chelsea’s team may not have been their exact first team, but it was a very strong team. Nobody can describe Lukaku, Kante, Mount, Werner, Chilwell, James, Ziyech as reserves. 

Its a shame we went out, I really wanted to see the likes of Archer, Chukwuemeka(s), A Ramsey etc.. get more game time. Just these two games will have helped their development so much. But I’m sure they’ll all get more chances in the league and FA Cup this season. They can be proud of their performance, and shouldn’t fear anyone. 

Also, I watched a stream that had no commentary (what a joy that was!) and all I could hear was the Villa fans singing. I know the rhetoric is Chelsea aren’t bothered by the little league cup, but fkin hell, if you’ve bought a ticket you could at least try and enjoy it. It sounded like Villa Park on the radio stream.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its tuchels fault that in 2 games vs us he's had to change the CM at half time... 

Didn't have to change anything. 

It's called being pro active. One of his biggest strengths as a coach.

Plenty of managers would have done nothing. It's what separates the best from the rest.

I mean, there is plenty of ‘we wanted a cup run’ on here after the game but let’s face it, when is the last time anyone on these boards mentioned the EFL/Carabou Cup?

I’ll warrant it was last year very shortly after we went out of the same competition. 

Think it’s probably more important to use the game to develop our younger players with a view to them making a mark in the Premier League. 

I’m sure there will be a time, very soon, when we will have progressed as a squad to the point where we are looking at cups as a way to bolster our trophy cabinet, and when the squad outside of our first team can compete and win these trophies, but we’re not there just yet.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Didn't have to change anything. 

It's called being pro active. One of his biggest strengths as a coach.

Plenty of managers would have done nothing. It's what separates the best from the rest.

If we'd won on penalties what would that've said about Tuchel against a second string team with no Ings or Watkins. Actually just getting to penalties against team with Mount and Lukaku makes Tuchel poor? 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's what I love about VT... 

Smith plays with a midfield set up that dominates the European champions - no credit 

Tuchel makes a reactionary change to his starting line up using the billion pound squad that he has - world class mate, that's the kind of manager we need 

To be honest I’ve never understood the Tuchel wankfest.

He’s taken a team that was massively underperforming under Frank, jizzed a bunch of money at the problem, and voila, they are a good team. 

Dean Smith could 100% have done the same with that squad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Is it Tuchel's fault Smith didn't have Watkins and Ings on the bench?

You're a fantasist, you've assumed having those players on the bench + Martinez in goal would have changed the result, it's just as likely it wouldn't. Easy to be critical after the fact especially of decisions that had, in reality, no bearing on the game. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, andym said:

But surely the starting 11 is actually the best indicator of expectation and seriousness, and 9 of them were experienced senior players who have all played often enough at first team level whether at villa or other clubs (and this is not experienced but not good enough senior pros like Hourihane, Lansbury etc who we have seen in early round ties over the last few seasons). 

Also, 1 of the subs brought on was our regular starting CB, the other two were the highest rated youngsters we have, who everyone is clamouring to get minutes in Premier League games.

We drew over the 90 minutes, matching a strong opposition with chances to win the game, and the one youngster we actually started scored our goal.

To go so far as to say Smith had no expectation to win the tie or didn't take it seriously is frankly pretty insulting to him, and has no basis in reality given we took Chelsea all the way and only lost it on the lottery of the penalty shootout. 

your opinion...my opinion is that the bench he named didnt say to me that he wanted to win the tie. bogarde, aaron ramsey, sinsalo and caleb are youth players. replace a couple of those with JJ and ings and we have better options off

and i doubt smith would be insulted by what i'm saying when he didn't even care about the cup enough to do media duties for either of the ties we played

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

To be honest I’ve never understood the Tuchel wankfest.

He’s taken a team that was massively underperforming under Frank, jizzed a bunch of money at the problem, and voila, they are a good team. 

Dean Smith could 100% have done the same with that squad.

I dunno, to be fair to him tuchel is a good manager and he has that certain skill where he can keep that squad happy which not everyone can do

I don't understand how people can watch our 2 games and come up with this game changer I wish Smith could do that stuff though, he brought on a better world class player off the bench because of Smith 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno, to be fair to him tuchel is a good manager and he has that certain skill where he can keep that squad happy which not everyone can do

I don't understand how people can watch our 2 games and come up with this game changer I wish Smith could do that stuff though, he brought on a better world class player off the bench because of Smith 

No, I get that, and I’m not saying Tuchel is not a good manager. My point was more that the job he took on with Chelsea was not the most difficult in world football. Which is why I’m surprised that he is getting so many plaudits so soon.

I can't see, because certain posters are on my ignore list, but judging by the responses, there must be some posts of dubious quality being produced. I suggest adding the authors of such posts to your ignore lists, it really brightens your day not to see them.

Youngsters did very well yesterday. Thought we were the better team for large parts. Chelsea bought on 100m Lukaku and still couldn't win it. 

Penalty shootouts are always a lottery. Proud of the lads and respect to the manager and coaching staff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Also, I watched a stream that had no commentary (what a joy that was!) and all I could hear was the Villa fans singing. I know the rhetoric is Chelsea aren’t bothered by the little league cup, but fkin hell, if you’ve bought a ticket you could at least try and enjoy it. It sounded like Villa Park on the radio stream.

City fans don't care about it and they win it every year. The sooner these teams can't play in this competition due to the CL reforms,  the better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

City fans don't care about it and they win it every year. The sooner these teams can't play in this competition due to the CL reforms,  the better.

I hear what you're saying but I'd rather win a trophy that all teams have entered, otherwise it becomes a competition for the also rans.

When man ure didn't enter the 2000 fa cup cos they were being ambassadors in South america or wherever then there would be those who said we would've won the FA cup* as if it was devalued cos the cockney reds didn't take part.

27 minutes ago, mig4villa said:

An assertion is NOT an  argument.  After the game,  Tuchel was lauding Kapa as the match winner for saving Nakamba's penalty..... perhaps you should have another look at it!?

I have. It wasn't very powerful and it was nowhere near "Just inside the post"

Nakamba was decent. I don't think he should be taking penalties but I agree with the point that the coaching staff know better than us. There's probably a reason he was taking them. Maybe he's good at them in training. Maybe nobody else volunteered. Who knows

But let's not pretend that was a good penalty. it wasn't. It's exactly where a keeper would want you to put the penalty if he guesses the right way.

Nakamba.png

Edited by Stevo985

Â