January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

9 hours ago, TomC said:

It's looking like Digne is on his way, and with all the ex-Big Club players at the club, I can't help make the comparison...

Aston Villa circa 1992-1994: Paul McGrath (Man U reject), Dean Saunders (Liverpool reject), Steve Staunton (Liverpool reject), Mark Bosnich (Man U reject), Kevin Richardson (Arsenal reject), Ray Houghton (Liverpool reject). Results: 1992-93 league runners-up, 1994 League Cup. (Most of them were gone for the 1996 League Cup.)

Aston Villa circa 2022: Coutinho (Barcelona reject), Digne (Barcelona reject), Douglas Luiz (Man City reject), Danny Ings (Liverpool reject), Bertrand Traoré (Chelsea reject), Ashley Young (Man U/Inter Milan reject). Result: ???

Reject is harsh for some especially Young and maybe Danny Ings who Liverpool wanted to keep but he kept getting injured

22 minutes ago, bose said:

I've been thinking a bit about the squad.

What are people thoughts on getting a so called defensive midfielder in?

Whether it's a defensive midfielder or not, we need a leader in there.

Too many times it's panic stations in midfield, and when things go wrong they seem to look at each other as if to say "it wasn't my fault". There's very little organisation in midfield, which impacts both our defensive and attacking capability.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bose said:

I've been thinking a bit about the squad.

What are people thoughts on getting a so called defensive midfielder in?

Seems a rather interesting idea. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet 😉

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Whether it's a defensive midfielder or not, we need a leader in there.

This is spot on. There seems to be an obsession with the actual title, DM. The truth is I don’t think SG is looking for a player that specific. He’s looking for someone who can command the centre of the pitch and give strong leadership. Of course that player needs to have lots of ability but strength of character will be equally important. 

We’ve got a decent squad overall but we lack a strong character, leadership, winning mentality, whatever you want to label it. Perhaps the Dennis Mortimer factor?  I’m not saying all the players are weak characters, I certainly wouldn’t say it to SJM’s face, but we haven’t got a player who can rally us and the players look to when the chips are down. The type of player we need is our manager. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Thanks 1

Alex is being very weird about these GK rumours. Has started two now, gave absolutely zero detail as to why Randolph fell through as well. Just weird. A backup GK is no reason to lie for clickbait or spread bollocks as not many either side of the transfer will care too much. But weirdly handled..

Anyway.. allegedly in for Robin Olsen now 

8 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I’ve just never felt any urgency or desperation from the club to address that position… hoping that has changed now and we’re working hard on a quality addition. The sooner the better, we are crying out for defensive reinforcement in midfield… strength & quality on the ball is a must.

That’s where the urgency lies… we need not necessarily add in other/further positions right now (although, upgrades are most welcome).

Digne - better LB

Coutinho - better forward

A proper DM

That would be a superb Jan window for us…

Even better if we offload weaker players such as El Ghazi & Trez.

When Bailey returns, we’ll have excellent options to support our strikers.

We can have more of an overhaul or “team enhancement” in the summer window. Shake things up as much as we see fit, then but we need to try and finish this season off well without too much disruption. Finish as high as possible.

I am with you totally, I am baffled by it....I would also say, if Dean had of Got a quality one in, he might still be in the job.

I look around the league(Prem) and all the decent sides have the position covered.....I am baffled why we have seemed to ignore it, for so long.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Scenes when we sign this bloke on wages of 275k per week, in line with our new transfer policy - as outlined by VT.

Screenshot_20220112-130801_Facebook-min.jpg

have they bought him for his experience?