January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Just now, TRO said:

pinch me......I will rejoice if we get this over the line.

I am totally convinced he could transform us.

Having said all of that, its about the team.....and good players, need to play with good players, else they get dragged down.

all of the top individuals in the league, have good players around them, to prosper.

we are getting there slowly, but surely.

Indeed mate.... out of likes as usual haha.

I think some of our moves have created a snowball effect, and have made players and agents take notice.

Which I think is very much a part of the strategy.

We need to use this positive momentum to strike while the iron is hot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

It appears someone put their foot on the accelerator recently

maybe, we have decided to get in ( capitalise) while Newcastle are in the bottom 3.

if/when they get out, thats when the sparks could fly.

It could be prudent tactics.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'd say if we can land Bissouma this window for 45m we should do it. Sometimes you've got to pay for the missing link. Van Dijk for 75m had everyone laughing that Liverpool had way over spent and it turns out he was the key difference maker and great value for money.

Agreed

When paid half a million pounds for a journeyman such as the saintly Peter Withe, it was questionable. Turned out he was the missing piece of the jigsaw🧩😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Another key thing, I think some of our fans might be missing.

I think we are essentially spending LAST summers budget, in this January window.

We would have made signings with or without Jack going.

Him going, essentially just gave us an extra 100 mill to play with this season.

So i don't even think it should be as much of a worry as we think, for the future.

If these lads start doing well, with some more smart trading in the upcoming summer, we will then be able to only need 1 or 2 TOP players again to further push on.

Hopefully Newcastle will be relegated and we have an extra year to get certain targets as well.

I think that is a feasible claim....do you think CP kept his powder dry ( £100 mill) during the summer.........for an expected, new incoming manager? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Another key thing, I think some of our fans might be missing.

I think we are essentially spending LAST summers budget, in this January window.

We would have made signings with or without Jack going.

Him going, essentially just gave us an extra 100 mill to play with this season.

So i don't even think it should be as much of a worry as we think, for the future.

If these lads start doing well, with some more smart trading in the upcoming summer, we will then be able to only need 1 or 2 TOP players again to further push on.

Hopefully Newcastle will be relegated and we have an extra year to get certain targets as well.

Please note, that i'm no Accountant and quite shite at maths though.

Would we have signed both ESR and JWP? 

I think you're right to the tune of probably 75/85m on top of Ings Bailey Buendia.

6 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

Agreed

When paid half a million pounds for a journeyman such as the saintly Peter Withe, it was questionable. Turned out he was the missing piece of the jigsaw🧩😀

Spot on. Could you imagine the screams on here if that happened now? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think that is a feasible claim....do you think CP kept his powder dry ( £100 mill) during the summer.........for an expected, new incoming manager? 

I’m pretty sure that’s the case. Dean was on thin ice looking back at results for this calendar year anyway. The last two wins over Chelsea and Spurs were just a stay of execution unless we started this season like the last season.

Dean was amazing for us and can look back at what he achieved for his club with great pride, but we can’t ignore the fact that it’s been a bit of a rollercoaster ride at times. We needed more consistency to break into Europe and compete regularly for silverware. NSWE and co. are too smart to not be aware of this and not have contingency plans. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

even with the Digne fee (rising to 25m?), even if we say a flat 25m, our net spend since Jan 2021 is effectively zero.

I suppose if you factor in Sanson its 15m net spend.

Depending on our financial situation, it could mean we still have 50-60m odd to spend if we really need to this window?

CDM......are you mad?😂

we have to.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Kerr is a left back I believe. Not sure if he can play centre back too. At 17 I’d say he’s one for the future. 

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

He's a CB.

Ironically, he was a CM (CDM maybe) converted to a CD in the youth setup.