Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

1 minute ago, KAZZAM said:

This just feels like a massive time waste. Arsenal ain't ever gonna sell him regardless if he's open to a move. Think we should just move on. 

It’s not even July yet. Have some patience.

Can see us letting this marinate for a few weeks, letting the contract situation play out with Arsenal, and if he still hasn’t signed anything come the third week of July or so coming in with a final bid of ~35-38m + add ons.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

There’s smoke though!  It shouldn’t happen but could happen.

But is it smoke and mirrors smoke or smoke and fire smoke? They're pretty opposite smokes. 

27 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Have you watched ESR? With the lockdown, like most I’ve watched every game he’s played this season…he’s a real big talent.  I can only judge with my own eyes but I think he’s the real deal.  Nothing is guaranteed I guess but he looks to have it.

22 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Our scouting department has been on a roll lately...

• Martinez
  • Cash
  • Watkins
  • Traore
  • Buendia

If they have reviewed all the footage of him from last season in Arsenal's first team, the previous season on loan at Huddersfield, and the hundreds of U23 & U18 games he's played in for Arsenal and still decide he's worth 50 million, I'm backing him to be a star for us.  A bunch of delusional Arsenal fans trying to come to grips with losing one of the best talents to come through their system in decades can't convince me that one of the best scouting departments in Europe at the moment is making a colossal mistake.  

Fair enough, I trust our recruitment team to have a much better idea of his capabilities than I do, I've watched him, can't say I've watched his every game, but he looks tidy on the ball and looks like he models himself on Jack, but look very different players to me in terms of ability, even Jack at 18 had that same technical ability he shows now. I don't see that in ESR, but if the recruitment team believe he can improve us significantly at a club record transfer fee, I'd back them as they've shown they deserve that trust.

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

But is it smoke and mirrors smoke or smoke and fire smoke? They're pretty opposite smokes. 

I agree, we just don’t know.  I’m just trusting that our recruitment team are top notch and very savvy so whatever happens I trust them.  As for the smoke, one bid maybe false/incorrect reporting but a second one would be harder to get wrong I would’ve thought.  Why they then think they might have a chance of getting him, only they know.

You've got to think that when we managed to get Barkley on loan, there must have been some thinking about buying him the summer after. So I'd imagine we have anything from £40-£60 Mill to bring in a player like this. 

I think we will continue to push this and as long as ESR hasn't signed his new deal the financial pressure will grow.

56 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I suppose what i mean is comparatively is he worth it?

If you compare him to say the Argentinian striker/winger that would be far cheaper. 

I understand what you're getting at, but I still think value is relative to what the club want. If they want somebody to come in and hit the ground running to make an immediate push, which seems to be the remit, then this will be worth a premium. 

So my answer is, I dunno! Probably. It doesn't seem ridiculous to me given the above and his potential. 

16 minutes ago, Awol said:

Before Barkley got injured that was best football I’ve seen from Villa in years and years. 

lol....I wasn't commenting on that, more the, "Barkley pushed up tight to Ollie" I'll use a gif next time. I was being childish sorry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

lol....I wasn't commenting on that, more the, "Barkley pushed up tight to Ollie" I'll use a gif next time. I was being childish sorry.

Were you looking for something like this...

WarpedScaredBighornedsheep-size_restrict

• Like 1

I think the bids and interest is absolutely genuine. I think Villa would get wind pretty quickly if they were been used as a pawn between the agent, player, and arsenal over a new contract. We are very professionally run now, we don't play games like this.

• Like 2

I agree with everyone saying that we wouldn't be bidding if Smith-Rowe had no interest. Our recruitment team are too on the ball for that. They must have had some encouragement from someone in his camp. No way would we be blindly bidding for him if he hadn't given us the positive signals.

• Like 1

I don't think Villa intended these bids to be accepted. But they do signal an interest in ESR which he will now know is strong, and if Arsenal don't give him an acceptable contract he knows that Villa are a potential alternative.

I think even though his preference is likely to be to stay at Arsenal, he may well be tempted by Villa in the same way that Martinez thought joining Villa was an upgrade. While Arsenal have been outside the top 6 and look to be stagnating, Villa look like they will be going places in the coming years.

Of course his agent will be happy as this is a win-win scenario. It forces Arsenal's hand to offer him a better deal to keep him happy plus a large agent bonus, and if he does move for north of £30m his agent will make a huge amount from the deal.

I think Villa will bid up to around £35/40m and hope they can get Arsenal to bite at what is probably the lower end of their valuation of him. Make no mistake that the Arsenal board will not like the optics of this deal at all, as selling your promising young talent to clubs who finished below you hardly shows ambition.

Every bid sends the fervent Arsenal mob on twitter into even more of a frenzy.  This likely fruitless pursuit of ESR is worth it just for that.

Edited by Wainy316

14 minutes ago, KMitch said:

It comes down to this:  Arsenal still want to bring in a "better" number 10 to start ahead of ESR while he continues to develop.  He wants to be paid the same or about the same as Saka, who is an established 1st team player and England International, but paying him what he's asking for will upend their wage structure by paying starting wages for someone they only see as a bench player for the immediate future.  He also knows that he probably won't get as many minutes at Arsenal this season as he got last year, especially if they bring in another number 10.  Then we come in...  We offer to pay him what he wants and give him the opportunity to play most/all of our games this season.  It won't upend our wage structure because we plan to keep him as a starter and grow with him over the next few years.  In terms of challenging for silverware, we're clearly a team on the rise and an attractive proposition for any ambitious player, and from the outside looking in, we're probably on the same level as Arsenal are at the moment.  The only unknown factor is he's a boyhood Arsenal fan and that may may play a part in his decision on whether to stay and play on the bench or leave and play more.  Jack keeps deciding to stay at Villa because he sees the ownership team is matching his ambition for the club and wants to be a part of the project.  ESR might not be getting the same warm and fuzzy feeling about Arsenal, especially after talking to Martinez about his situation...

This is exactly it, I believe the bids are genuine and ESR is interested, he's gone on loan to Germany and Huddersfield :) so I'd imagine he's not afraid to move out of London for a bigger opportunity and more money, despite being an arsenal fan.

If arsenal can't guarantee him a starting place or the salary he wants, a move to an upwardly mobile Villa would be very attractive.

20 minutes ago, KMitch said:

It comes down to this:  Arsenal still want to bring in a "better" number 10 to start ahead of ESR while he continues to develop.  He wants to be paid the same or about the same as Saka, who is an established 1st team player and England International, but paying him what he's asking for will upend their wage structure by paying starting wages for someone they only see as a bench player for the immediate future.  He also knows that he probably won't get as many minutes at Arsenal this season as he got last year, especially if they bring in another number 10.  Then we come in...  We offer to pay him what he wants and give him the opportunity to play most/all of our games this season.  It won't upend our wage structure because we plan to keep him as a starter and grow with him over the next few years.  In terms of challenging for silverware, we're clearly a team on the rise and an attractive proposition for any ambitious player, and from the outside looking in, we're probably on the same level as Arsenal are at the moment.  The only unknown factor is he's a boyhood Arsenal fan and that may may play a part in his decision on whether to stay and play on the bench or leave and play more.  Jack keeps deciding to stay at Villa because he sees the ownership team is matching his ambition for the club and wants to be a part of the project.  ESR might not be getting the same warm and fuzzy feeling about Arsenal, especially after talking to Martinez about his situation...

Arsenal, wage structure? That ship has long sailed in all fairness. Was he not starting ahead of some of the higher paid players in the second half of last season?

If you read the article in the Athletic, it’s v positive about Villa- makes mention of how he would not be a Grealish replacement as we aim to keep him but an addition to the squad, mentions our wealthy owners and our ambition, how we’ve already signed Buendia and even our European Cup gets a mention.

Im starting to think that whether we get ESR or not, this was a PR move designed to bolster the clubs reputation in the transfer market after the Grealish to city story.

Greg Evans had a good piece in The Athletic about the very professional way we recruit academy players, including making sure the recruiter knows the names of all family members and presenting a thorough report on how the club specifically see them developing in the academy.  Presume the same would be done for first team targets. Perhaps Purslow and Lange blew away ESR with a PowerPoint.

• Like 2