Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

Is £30 million a low bid?

We've just paid similar for a bloke on the cusp of the Argentina squad, who ripped the championship to pieces and had a solid season previously in the prem. 

I get they might not want to sell him for that much but for what ESR has currently achieved we seem to have bid at a fair market value. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

I like how we thought an extra £5m would change things :lol:

My opinions on this haven't changed. Obviously we've had some kind of word from his agent but like I said it will all just result in ESR getting a nice new big contract from Arsenal. 

It's the same as the Grealish situation I suspect

31 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've just paid similar for a bloke on the cusp of the Argentina squad, who ripped the championship to pieces and had a solid season previously in the prem. 

I get they might not want to sell him for that much but for what ESR has currently achieved we seem to have bid at a fair market value. 

UK player tax. Huge amount of money for someone who hasn't played that much but probably nowhere near what it would take for Arsenal to sell 

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Building pressure. The player gets to see we are serious by continually going back in for him, instead of bidding our final offer up front, getting rejected and that being the end of the story. 

More than few Arsenal fans on their socials now questioning what ESR is really worth and whether 30-35m is actually a good price for an inexperienced 20 yr old. I’ll bet their board is having the same thought process.

By the time it gets to 40m (if it does) many will likely agree that’s a fair price and the board can sanction a sale without getting the stadium burnt down. 

I am also having the same thought process.

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I am also having the same thought process.

Yeah, I’ve no idea. Gotta assume Villa will go up to whatever they value him at in terms of potential, or maybe a touch more if the owners are trying to make a bigger point to the football world. We’ll see! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Still say we should just offer them the money we are reported to want to spend on Tammy… 

No point offering 40m to Arsenal for Tammy, he plays for Chelsea 😉

Would be shocked if he signed in all honesty but it's interesting to see how it all plays out. 

Quite amusing how the Arsenal top wearers at work are fidgiting uncomfortably now when Villa are mentioned, that's prior to the inevitable sarcastic comment like... ""well yeah.. of course he'd want to leave for you guys being such a massive club and so much bigger than we are"". 

They really do think of us in such a lowly way and just cannot comprehend why we are being so ridiculous bidding for their player or why on Earth Buendia would choose us over them, let alone Martinez.

:lol:

It's clear that younger people just have no clue of how big this club was and potentially can be again. That includes the media. No surprise of course as that's the lasting impression left having been run like a corner shop for over 3 decades under Ellis. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Younger, English, and they don't want to sell.

A bit hypocritical of us to not understand their reasoning.

Given our own stance?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Younger, English, and they don't want to sell.

A bit hypocritical of us to not understand their reasoning.

Given our own stance?

Perfectly reasonable for us to feel it's a fair price though. Just like it's perfectly reasonable for anyone else to assume £100m is enough for Grealish. Ultimately, what fans think is irrelevant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

UK player tax. Huge amount of money for someone who hasn't played that much but probably nowhere near what it would take for Arsenal to sell 

He's also 20 years old. We paid for Buendia's current ability. Most of the fee we'd pay for Smith-Rowe would go to his potential ability.

• Like 3