Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

26 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Methinks that is clutching at straws Sir and dare I say it, slightly defeatist. Like him or hate him David Ornstein is not a shithouse merchant. 

Your definitely clutching. He's a full on shithouse Arsenal fan. Gives it the boy next door look whilst lying through his arsenhole.

Not sure why people think we'd bid to troll Arsenal it's not something most clubs would do least of all ours, if we're bidding it's because we're seriously interested in the player.

That said I don't believe this idea that we're only bidding because we've been fed information that he wants to join, I'm sure clubs bid for players all the time, without knowing that a player wants to join them, if someone from the athletic was reporting that a team were bidding for Grealish I doubt people would be saying that they must have an indication that it means Grealish wants to join them.

We could simply be bidding because it's worth a try, which ultimately is probably the case with most transfer bids, it's just that some are more likely to happen that others.

9 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Methinks that is clutching at straws Sir and dare I say it, slightly defeatist. Like him or hate him David Ornstein is not a shithouse merchant. 

I never clutch at straws, they are bad for the environment.

Not even the metal reusable ones as they are a nightmare to clean.

And don't even get me started on the paper ones, they just seem to stick to my lips then dissolve in my drink.

My opinion on the journalistic credability of Dave was not a particularly serious one.  Just a thought that popped into my head as a possibility he could maintain an impression of credability by using his own reporting to validate his previous reporting.  I'm not really invested in it either way.

That said i'm not going to trust pretty much any sports journalist on transfer gossip.  I'm sure there are innocent people in jail, but I'm not about to leave my wallet on the table.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

Do Smith-Rowe and Alvarez both play similar positions.

Smith Rowe plays 10 or left forward, Alvarez more from the right or second striker / in behind a 9. If you think Barkley when he was pushed up really tight to Ollie that’s where Alvarez would play for us - imo. In that sense it’s one or the other, ESR plan A, Alvarez plan B - or both if we lost Jack. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Isn’t he worth whatever Arsenal will sell him for and whatever we’re willing to pay?

He’s a talented young player, with Premier League experience who precisely fits the remit in a position we want to improve in. Whether his relative value is £45m or not doesn’t really matter unless we’re looking for value first and foremost rather than league positions.

I suppose what i mean is comparatively is he worth it?

If you compare him to say the Argentinian striker/winger that would be far cheaper. 

5 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm sure clubs bid for players all the time, without knowing that a player wants to join them,

I'd say that's borderline impossible in this technological age.  Tapping up is super easy to do and very hard to prove.

8 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I suppose what i mean is comparatively is he worth it?

If you compare him to say the Argentinian striker/winger that would be far cheaper. 

Is he worth it? Yes, without doubt.

Compared to Alvarez? No idea, I know very little about him apart from video clips and comments.

ESR though is a talent and young with masses of potential.  In comparison to the market generally, ESR is definitely worth it.

• Like 3

My main worry with him is that arsenal fans seem to rate this potential signing emotionally rather than objectively, they're more worried about the optics of losing a young player with potential and what that says about the boards ambition. When you read some views of their more rational fans, they've seen it all before with young players showing promise and would snap our hands off for 40m

Some views from their forums:

The irony of us turning down 30m for a non capped, couple of months of good form, 2 goals midfielder and saying with a straight face Maddison with goals, assists and caps is over priced at 70m

"Esr has played just over 40 senior games, with nearly half of that at Huddersfield. There isn't exactly a track record there other than people hoping he will become something. Forgive me. I've seen this show before. Walcott, Ox, Wilshere, Gibbs, Bendtner all hyped up to be something and their careers amounted to nothing. 50m for a player with 6 months top level under their belt whilst being inconsistent is ridiculous money. Unfortunately emotion comes into it not rational logical thought.'

"I remember ox and he was far more than exciting and after him I said never again with Arsenal youngster until they do it for two seasons. Remember when coquelin had that patch of great promise. Over the years we had far more exciting talents than esr and they all failed"

1 minute ago, VillaJay said:

My main worry with him is that arsenal fans seem to rate this potential signing emotionally rather than objectively, they're more worried about the optics of losing a young player with potential and what that says about the boards ambition. When you read some views of their more rational fans, they've seen it all before with young players showing promise and would snap our hands off for 40m

The irony of us turning down 30m for a non capped, couple of months of good form, 2 goals midfielder and saying with a straight face Maddison with goals, assists and caps is over priced at 70m

"Esr has played just over 40 senior games, with nearly half of that at Huddersfield. There isn't exactly a track record there other than people hoping he will become something. Forgive me. I've seen this show before. Walcott, Ox, Wilshere, Gibbs, Bendtner all hyped up to be something and their careers amounted to nothing. 50m for a player with 6 months top level under their belt whilst being inconsistent is ridiculous money. Unfortunately emotion comes into it not rational logical thought.'

"I remember ox and he was far more than exciting and after him I said never again with Arsenal youngster until they do it for two seasons. Remember when coquelin had that patch of great promise. Over the years we had far more exciting talents than esr and they all failed"

Have you watched ESR? With the lockdown, like most I’ve watched every game he’s played this season…he’s a real big talent.  I can only judge with my own eyes but I think he’s the real deal.  Nothing is guaranteed I guess but he looks to have it.

5 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Our scouting department has been on a roll lately...

• Martinez
  • Cash
  • Watkins
  • Traore
  • Buendia

If they have reviewed all the footage of him from last season in Arsenal's first team, the previous season on loan at Huddersfield, and the hundreds of U23 & U18 games he's played in for Arsenal and still decide he's worth 50 million, I'm backing him to be a star for us.  A bunch of delusional Arsenal fans trying to come to grips with losing one of the best talents to come through their system in decades can't convince me that one of the best scouting departments in Europe at the moment is making a colossal mistake.  

• Like 3