Breakaway League

Jareth

It's just classic taking my ball home primary school bullshit.

There's only 4 spots for CL in England, and 6 clubs want it. So they rig the rules to ensure they have it every time.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Free fall?

They are a win outside qualifying for Europe, have a cup final next week, have several world class players, a world class stadium... 

Free fall is a tad OTT.

thats now the thing, why these clubs are desperate for this super league 

they cant have a business model based around an outside chance

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

There's only 4 spots for CL in England, and 6 clubs want it. So they rig the rules to ensure they have it every time.

Think you’ll find there are more than 6 clubs who want it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's more to it than that. The recent CL changes also means the financial CL pot they were sharing got smaller. Then add in the covid affected accounts, and clubs like Leicester, WH and us knocking on the door.

It's all about money, but the CL part of it is just one aspect.

What's so amazingly egotistic and mesmerisingly hypocritical about this is how they got to become the clubs they are. Ignoring the entire football league pyramid and the sport as a whole.

In a war they'd  been shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

They are a win outside qualifying for Europe, have a cup final next week, have several world class players, a world class stadium... 

Free fall is a tad OTT.

Maybe but Jose wasn't brought in to get them into Europe, it's CL or bust. Literally. They need the CL money to pay for that giant stadium and they need NFL games/concerts there too. Now they are hemorrhaging money hand over fist, their best player wants to leave, they won't be in the CL next season and their manager is a long way past his best. They are a club in crisis, even their official paint sponsor is taking the piss.  

How about the rest of the genuine clubs who are all for fair competition and the glory that "winning despite everything" offers, come together en masse and form a new competition without those greed stricken few?

Why don't the FA, Uefa, The Bundesliga etc now all get together and form a new competition completey and simply ban all of those clubs from it!  A new European league where in the top division you get to play Borusia Dortmund and Lyon, as well as the other teams from the other countries but in a League format.

Imagine a European Premier League which was a new division placed above the Premier League and decided as normal by promotion & relegation of the bottom 3 clubs? So you would have a League made up of the likes of Villa, Everton, West Ham, Dortmund, Leipzig, Lille, Monaco, Lyon,  Atalanta, Napoli, Milan, Sevilla, Villareal, Rangers, Celtic etc etc. You could have a whole season of those teams playing each other home & away and the true European champions at the end of it.

This could replace the Mini, closed shop, "Champions" cup which it has now become after being totally destroyed by the greedy few. Eventually that silly, closed shop, uncompetitive league of theirs would be seen for what it truly is.... The equivalent of WWF wrestling.. a "staged" non competitive event basically. 

the cynic in me says that this Super League wont happen, but when they announce a coefficient type scenario ensuring the "big clubs" get their Champions League places year after year even if they dont qualify from their league, we silly idiot fans willl be expected to not notice they mostly got what they wanted by shadowing it in under the furore over the European Super League.

If the Champions League is changed to ensure the pigs at the trough get their place regardless of merit and performance in a season, that would be terrible in of itself also.

7 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I don't watch them anyway unless Villa are playing them.

I don't get why people want to watch other teams. Yes I know I'm in a minority but there ya go, I'm already doing my bit :)

I like watching the leagues we play in, and tune into big competition semis and finals, that’s about it. Wouldn’t touch this shit with a barge pole though, it may as well be rugby.

Just now, villa89 said:

Maybe but Jose wasn't brought in to get them into Europe, it's CL or bust. Literally. They need the CL money to pay for that giant stadium and they need NFL games/concerts there too. Now they are hemorrhaging money hand over fist, their best player wants to leave, they won't be in the CL next season and their manager is a long way past his best. They are a club in crisis, even their official paint sponsor is taking the piss.  

I'm not sure how you know most of that stuff.

I'm sure they feel they could be in a better place but this is just hyperbole. 

8 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I don't watch them anyway unless Villa are playing them.

I don't get why people want to watch other teams. Yes I know I'm in a minority but there ya go, I'm already doing my bit :)

I sometimes watch when i want one of the teams to lose lol! I originally wanted Leeds to lose so we can finish above them... also to check out potential signings sometimes.

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats now the thing, why these clubs are desperate for this super league 

they cant have a business model based around an outside chance

You are right. If you build a financial model for your club which necessitates the money from the CL, the only way to protect that model is to ensure year on year qualification.

In a sense it is the duty to the shareholders of those clubs to make this happen.

Which is why, along with the crippling losses incurred by owners, football can not and should not be run like a traditional business. 

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's more to it than that. The recent CL changes also means the financial CL pot they were sharing got smaller. Then add in the covid affected accounts, and clubs like Leicester, WH and us knocking on the door.

It's all about money, but the CL part of it is just one aspect.

What's so amazingly egotistic and mesmerisingly hypocritical about this is how they got to become the clubs they are. Ignoring the entire football league pyramid and the sport as a whole.

In a war they'd  been shot.

Spot on. Massive hypocrisy.

Â