Breakaway League

Jareth

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Well yes Uefa has just invented an additional 4 games per season for the champions league for no reason other than monetary.  But that was under pressure from the clubs I presume.

Why was the Barca coach not up in arms about Barca's involvement in the ESL? The extra games in the CL are an appeasement to bloody Perez.

I'm so **** angry.

I have no idea why the jouros at these pressers don't follow up answers like that of Koeman. It doesn't take much to retort with "So you think you are playing too many games, and hence wanted to start a league with an additional 18 games per season?"

We're losing out on some big opportunities to undress these idiots and we're not taking them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well yes Uefa has just invented an additional 4 games per season for the champions league for no reason other than monetary.  But that was under pressure from the clubs I presume.

This also stinks and needs booting out...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

If they don't get properly punished to dissuade them now they will only attempt it again in the near future. Let us not forget that "Project Big Picture" was the last attempt to push more money and power to the top and that was only 6 months ago. 

They will try this again. We just need FIFA/UEFA/FA/Premier League to realise that there football does not exist just these clubs. Stop pandering to them and make it fair and equal for EVERYONE. 

• Like 4

I think people overstate the value of any specific club to the Premier League. I hate the idea that these clubs wouldn't be punished because of the worry that they're too valuable to weaken. 

Man City are massive because they have a bottomless money pit and win a lot. They were mid table nothingness in 2006. Chelsea were a yoyo club in the 70s and 80s. Arsenal are obviously on the slide. These clubs are simply rich at the moment, they won't necessarily be forever. If you'd started this Super League in 1996, would you have included Blackburn Rovers?

Relegate them all to the national league and the Premier League will go on. Glory hunting fans will move on to the next team as they always do. The premier league is bigger than any one or two clubs. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

every one of them posted official announcements on their social media accounts. an ESL website was set up. contracts were signed. i'm amazed that there are people think that they have done nothing wrong.

Don't count me in that group 😄

I was explaining that their lawyers will likely not just accept a severe punishment laying down and I can see what their grounds for fighting it will be. I was pointing out that this is not going to be as clear cut as we would like it to be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

51% fan ownership will never be possible - for it to work at just Man Utd, you'd need 50p from every single adult human being on the planet. It's simply infeasible.

At Villa, if you took every season ticket holder and every member and then almost doubled it to get 100,000 fans wanting to buy, they'd need to pay £200 each. It's never ever going to be possible.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Which is why do many people keep highlighting that it doesn't require ownership to have fan oversight. Then someone repeats that fans couldn't afford to buy Man United :D

Fan ownership is probably unrealistic. Fan oversight and voting rights without financing ownership of the club is not.

Even fan ownership isn't impossible. As I said before, a government that really wanted that specific outcome could just advance 0% interest loans with a 100-year maturity to a specially created fan vehicle.

• Like 1

The amendments to the Champions League format are disgusting and squeeze through as much of a Super League as they can without saying it.

It's bullshit. You don't succeed in your national league, you don't qualify. Simple.

Now the rules basically load the dice massively in favour of the select few lucky enough to qualify previously. To get in now you'll need to have a completely miraculous season if you aren't one of the blessed few.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Even fan ownership isn't impossible. As I said before, a government that really wanted that specific outcome could just advance 0% interest loans with a 100-year maturity to a specially created fan vehicle.

The club valuations are not realistic and reflect more the world of global central bank money printing. Hence, why clubs are generally only changing hands when in distressed states.

Such a rule would immediately bring the prices down a little or perhaps a lot too! perhaps we could have them valued at their historical P/E ratio 🤣 Audited accounts would be wonderful too.

1 minute ago, villakram said:

The club valuations are not realistic and reflect more the world of global central bank money printing. Hence, why clubs are generally only changing hands when in distressed states.

Such a rule would immediately bring the prices down a little or perhaps a lot too! perhaps we could have them valued at their historical P/E ratio 🤣 Audited accounts would be wonderful too.

Haha imagine the carnage! 🤣

• Like 1

Another thing people need to remember is that these are not, in fact, massive businesses. As I have said before, most Premier League teams are smaller businesses than an averagely-sized supermarket (1 supermarket, not a chain). Governments could do more or less whatever they want in this space really, the question is of political will. That will is very likely to be lacking, I admit, but all parents know to question the difference between 'can't' and 'won't'. 

30 minutes ago, imavillan said:

This also stinks and needs booting out...

Whoever this Footy Accumulator tweeter is has got the rule wrong.

Read ‘CL New Qualifications rule’ thread where it explained.

It’s still not a good rule but this dude has got it wrong!

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Another thing people need to remember is that these are not, in fact, massive businesses. As I have said before, most Premier League teams are smaller businesses than an averagely-sized supermarket (1 supermarket, not a chain). Governments could do more or less whatever they want in this space really, the question is of political will. That will is very likely to be lacking, I admit, but all parents know to question the difference between 'can't' and 'won't'. 

That fact was certainly true in the 80's and 90's but not anymore.  Clubs like United and Liverpool will turnover way way more than a single supermarket now.  For sure they are smaller than an actual supermarket chain but they are now big business.

Â