Breakaway League

Jareth

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Except they didn’t. They ‘expressed an interest’ in setting up a new league at some undefined point in the future. I don’t think it is unequivocal and I would expect their lawyers to fight any material punishment. 

I think “the founding members” did more than just express an interest.

• Like 1

I think UEFA are just playing politics here. They understand that their revenue is based largely from European competitions, and are wary of where the PR backlash will go next. 

From their perspective they are thinking 'lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater'. 

As a fan, I want them to realise that there is an opportunity here to force reforms which would benefit everyone (including themselves) at the expense of owners who have contributed nothing to the institutions of football but short term financial gain by exploiting those that put them in that position. Usually whilst issuing press releases about how they are for grass roots and community. 

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Except they didn’t. They ‘expressed an interest’ in setting up a new league at some undefined point in the future. I don’t think it is unequivocal and I would expect their lawyers to fight any material punishment. 

They signed contracts (apparently) and wee founding members of the competition. They described it as having been formed. It wasn't a concept. It was happening.

Just because the competition never happened doesn't mean they hadn't joined.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

You can work it out for man utd, they put x% on the stick exchange, the number of shares available multiplied by the share price of any one is in to that type of thing 

I would lazily guess that to get to 51% you would be looking at a whip around to the tune of £2.5bn to £3bn 

Which in other words means that 49% would be owned by a rich asshole whilst the other 51% was owned by a group of rich assholes

I mean yes that's my point. I'll just whip out my wallet then.. ;)

It's such a pity that fans aren't in stadiums right now - the noise on this would be unbelievable.

If UEFA aren't prepared to address this then I think fans need to make a collective effort to disrupt the commercial operations of these teams and the leagues until such point as the individuals responsible are punished - delaying busses into ground, delaying kick offs, centre circle sit-ins, hundreds of tennis balls thrown onto pitches, cameras covered with flags, huge social media campaigns, all that sort of stuff - the sort of stuff that affects the TV product and gets people in suits riled up - do that, and keep doing it until we've wiped each and every single piece of this shit off football's shoe.

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think it depends on what they signed.  They have obviously signed something as they have all admitted that but I’m intrigued to read what commitment they committed to.  We know the PL rule states they need permission blah blah and we could argue they have broken some other rules although that is a stretch.  I would love to see the contract or elements of the contract before I could be as definitive as you or argue against it.  It does seem more, from an outside view, than an ‘expressed interest’ signed document.  Seems further along than that.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

UEFA will very happily forgive the clubs for money.

I can't see them so easily forgetting the faces of those that stabbed them in the back.

The thing will be what happens to the clubs representatives that were all sat on the various UEFA committees and panels, they all quit Sunday, theyll be allowed back in the competitions because of the money they bring to them but I doubt they'll be given the positions of power that they had within UEFA 

Bayern's rummenigge has just had a promotion thanks to juventus' angnelli 

If there are no punishments doled out then I hope we spend 1 billion in the summer and tell them to f off with FFP. Others break the rules without punishment, so will we.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The sad fact is that the Premier league do need these six clubs; they generate income, they bring interest, they bring viewers, they're a big part of the size of the TV deals, and they're a part of the sporting fabric of football in this country, just removing them from the picture through bans and relegations won't work and I don't think it should work - what they've done is unforgivable, but the game needs them - we sold out any principles otherwise a long time ago.

The game doesn't need John Henry, it doesn't need Roman Abramovich, it doesn't need Joe Lewis and it definitely doesn't need Levy - no one bought a Sky subscription to hear John Henry speak or for that exciting shot of Levy sat on the half way line - these people are expendable, and this is where the focus should be - after a failed military coup, they tend to hang the generals and in this one, it's important that these people aren't forgotten, aren't forgiven and aren't allowed to continue in the game. That needs to be the focus.

I thought Simon Jordan was excellent this morning, I hope his is an attitude shared by all Premier League chairmen.

How can Premier League CEO's be expected to sit down at a table with Daniel Levy and talk to him as is they can trust a word he says? It's impossible, he's no longer a viable representative of Tottenham Hotspur football club.

How can Wes and Nassef have any kind of conversation with the Glazers that has any sort of trust in it? It's impossible, the ownership community can't trust a man who has tried to pull millions out of their pockets. 

How can Sky sit around a table with Stan Kroenke to negotiate a Premier League TV deal that they know he'd happily tear up for a subscription model? It's impossible, he's no longer a person of trust within the footballing business community.

These people have got to go.

You sure about that?

He definitely has all of the characteristics I would expect of someone associated with Spurs...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's such a pity that fans aren't in stadiums right now - the noise on this would be unbelievable.

It would. Can you imagine the booing against liverpool on Monday night, probably from their own fans?

Or the noise at VP tonight against City?

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It would. Can you imagine the booing against liverpool on Monday night, probably from their own fans?

Or the noise at VP tonight against City?

I don't think it'd just be booing, there'd be more than that, there'd be more than banners, there would be disruption, there would be questions loud enough that they'd need to be answered.

Damn I miss it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

every one of them posted official announcements on their social media accounts. an ESL website was set up. contracts were signed. i'm amazed that there are people think that they have done nothing wrong.

There's the main point and key to this whole discussion.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think it'd just be booing, there'd be more than that, there'd be more than banners, there would be disruption, there would be questions loud enough that they'd need to be answered.

Damn I miss it.

Does anyone doubt that this has been the reason these plans have been executed now? 

They assumed less PR damage with no fans around. They thought wrong. 

Â