Breakaway League

Jareth

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I can't **** BELIEVE these Glazier words removed managed to write this:

"We continue to believe that European football needs to become more sustainable throughout the pyramid for the long-term. However, we fully accept that the Super League was not the right way to go about it."

What planet do they live on? The pyramid needs to become more sustainable? Bellends. 

It's much easier to understand when you include the couple of words they missed out. 

"We continue to believe that European football needs to become more sustainable for us throughout the pyramid for the long-term. However, we fully accept that the Super League was not the right way to go about it."

You can actually do this with most of the Super League statements.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

The problem isn't nationality, it's greed and corporate disconnect from footballing culture.

Aye. Its also incompetent business people. I mean many of us are in business, would any of us deliberately piss off our customers like this? 
Who did they think were going to pay to watch the super league? the obvious answer is.... football fans. So maybe not insult the people you are trying to sell to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The problem isn't nationality, it's greed and corporate disconnect from footballing culture.

Isn't America pretty much the only developed nation without a footballing culture?

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Isn't America pretty much the only developed nation without a footballing culture?

All the other major English-speaking nations don't really have much interest in football on the whole.  It's strange that British people helped export the game round the world but it never really took off in the USA, Canada and Down Under.

7 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Easy... I live here in the USA and my kids are Americans...

I dont disagree about many US sports being dull because of their structure, but its a very different country with little grassroots outside of college so its a different culture.

The NFL is an interesting comparison actually, because in part they control the competitiveness of their respective leagues through the draft system. 

I'm not saying it could or should be applied to football, but whilst football has a top down approach based on the acquisition of the best players through transfers, American sports are ironically more regulated than elsewhere when it comes to finance (they also have salary caps etc.).

Is the draft system an artificial way of ensuring competitiveness? Probably. Is it any more artificial than the bias caused by having very rich owners in football? Not so sure.

• Like 2

Â