Breakaway League

Jareth

34 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Isn't America pretty much the only developed nation without a footballing culture?

The collegiate system is what really makes “our” professional sports different than other countries. We don’t have local professional teams because there’s no pro/rel system and that’s not gonna change because owners have invested and are reaping all the riches back(this goes for pretty much every major sport here). Most folks have college/universities athletic teams they support (from being an alum or just interest) plus a professional team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

The NFL is an interesting comparison actually, because in part they control the competitiveness of their respective leagues through the draft system. 

I'm not saying it could or should be applied to football, but whilst football has a top down approach based on the acquisition of the best players through transfers, American sports are ironically more regulated than elsewhere when it comes to finance (they also have salary caps etc.).

Is the draft system an artificial way of ensuring competitiveness? Probably. Is it any more artificial than the bias caused by having very rich owners in football? Not so sure.

Yeah, the draft system is interesting. I used to follow the NFL and go to games. But it really is entertainment first and a sport second.  You go to have a few beers and laughs, the actual game is often dull (insert cricket joke here).

• Like 1

Just now, Villaphan04 said:

The collegiate system is what really makes “our” professional sports different than other countries. We don’t have local professional teams because there’s no pro/rel system and that’s not gonna change because owners have invested and are reaping all the riches back(this goes for pretty much every major sport here). Most folks have college/universities athletic teams they support (from being an alum or just interest) plus a professional team. 

Understood. I meant more along the lines of the culture of a professional league. The MLS in its current format is what, 25 years old?  

• Like 1

The MLS is a badly run league. They have things like local TV blackouts ... during a pandemic.... so I cant watch the Earthquakes for example, but I can watch LA galaxy. I live near San Jose. Crazy.

Odd given I want to give them money, they just dont want it.

Some VERY nice stadiums though!

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Yeah, the draft system is interesting. I used to follow the NFL and go to games. But it really is entertainment first and a sport second.  You go to have a few beers and laughs, the actual game is often dull (insert cricket joke here).

But you tend not to get long term domination of teams. A different team wins the superbowl pretty much every year (go Chiefs btw). Imagine the Premier league that competitive. 

• Like 1

Just now, ciggiesnbeer said:

The MLS is a badly run league. They have things like local TV blackouts ... during a pandemic.... so I cant watch the Earthquakes for example, but I can watch LA galaxy. I live near San Jose. Crazy.

Odd given I want to give them money, they just dont want it.

I think that about lower league football teams here. And streaming services. I want to watch football, I just dont want to and can't afford to get gouged. 

How much is it to attend an American sporting event? I genuinely have no idea, but I would imagine there are some reasonably cheap seats for scrubbers like me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I think that about lower league football teams here. And streaming services. I want to watch football, I just dont want to and can't afford to get gouged. 

How much is it to attend an American sporting event? I genuinely have no idea, but I would imagine there are some reasonably cheap seats for scrubbers like me.

music video 90s GIF

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Its really affordable. I think I have paid between $20 - $60? . You also have a really good time.  In California at least you can drink beer all game and nobody is gonna hassle you. You can also be high on cannibis edibles if you like. Smoking is outside the ground though as you can imagine. There is a nice weed store right near the Earthquakes stadium that is busy during match days :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

The problem isn't nationality, it's greed and corporate disconnect from footballing culture.

I didnt say there was i asked has their been a successful American thats been a success over here?

Lerner failed

Kroenke is hated/failed

Glazers hated/failed

Only you could argue liverpool but they are hated. Hicks was hated and failed before 

I think the lack of response from UEFA and probably Premier League is not really positive. Hopefully Florentino had an ace up his sleeve to **** the clubs over for bailing on the plan

As for the clubs cowardly scumbags. Bottlers

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

All the other major English-speaking nations don't really have much interest in football on the whole.  It's strange that British people helped export the game round the world but it never really took off in the USA, Canada and Down Under.

With respect to Canada

Soccer is the highest participation sport in Canada, with 847,616 registered players (according to the Canada Soccer 2012 Yearbook). Male/female participation is split roughly 59/41 percent. There are 1,456 clubs in 139 districts across 12 regions (provincial and territory member associations). Wiki

And for the USA

Soccer is played by over 13 million people in the U.S., making it the third-most played sport in the U.S., more widely played than ice hockey and football. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Understood. I meant more along the lines of the culture of a professional league. The MLS in its current format is what, 25 years old?  

yeah It was started in "current" form in the 90s

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Is the draft system an artificial way of ensuring competitiveness? Probably

Which begs the question. How were the Cleveland Browns so bad for so long. 

They should have had the superest of super teams after finishing bottom for so many years. 

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I didnt say there was i asked has their been a successful American thats been a success  over here

This guy did ok

happy ronald mcdonald GIF by McDonald's CZ/SK

Edited by sidcow

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Which begs the question. How were the Cleveland Browns so bad for so long. 

They should have had the superset of super teams after finishing bottom for so many years. 

Alec Baldwin tells on Randy Lerner after ex-Browns owner illegally cut down  protected trees, lawsuit alleges

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â