Breakaway League

Jareth

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

All the other major English-speaking nations don't really have much interest in football on the whole.  It's strange that British people helped export the game round the world but it never really took off in the USA, Canada and Down Under.

When I started playing in NZ in 82 there were more kids registered to play football than rugby. I still play 7 a side in 11 week seasons 4 times a year in "social" league in Auckland. Venue I play they have 18 games a night Monday to Thursday and that's 1 of about 8 venues in Auckland. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I don't buy this total naivity from players and managers. It was reported last year that these same clubs were threatening this with project big picture. So they knew then. Leaked reports show contracts sent to clubs in 2018!? It's all a PR move as far as I'm concerned. Like everyone involved the fan backlash has rocked them. What better way to buffer the risk of repurcussions from the footballing authorities than push the 'we didn't know' narrative and thus get a campaign of 'dont punish the clubs'. Totally a damage limitation exercise from all highly paid at the clubs. I'm sorry but no way are managers so out of the picture. Kenny Dalgish making out he didn'tt know and he's on the bloody board of dippers!?

These vermin clubs got found out and are reeling a PR exercise right now to stop punishments. End of.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

I pretty much lost all interest in football now. I would rather have a 1st round draft pick than this.

I couldnt be arsed watching the match tonight, was following on an app. Think has killed my interest for the rest of the season

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

With respect to Canada

Soccer is the highest participation sport in Canada, with 847,616 registered players (according to the Canada Soccer 2012 Yearbook). Male/female participation is split roughly 59/41 percent. There are 1,456 clubs in 139 districts across 12 regions (provincial and territory member associations). Wiki

And for the USA

Soccer is played by over 13 million people in the U.S., making it the third-most played sport in the U.S., more widely played than ice hockey and football. 

This. The football scene over here is thriving and will only grow more and more given the need to be >6ft to play bouncy ball and a willingness to have your head mashed to play throwball.

The big issue over here is much the same as in the UK etc., with the absence over here of outdoor playing area for organic soccer from kids. Here starting from zero, vs UK decaying from a high number. This limits things somewhat to schools and organized things and very quickly the money grabbing system. In the midwest, we also have the issue of outdoor pitches being unusable due to snow ice in Jan-Mar and then turning to concrete due to the sun in July/August.

back to business... what a surprise, absolute silence from the FA/PL/UEFA today.

Edited by villakram

Perez has said the contract is binding but one of the Premier League teams were not convinced and the rest bottled it. I agree with that

He also said without Super League Real cant sign Haaland or Mbappe :D  it breaks your heart

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is the weird thing about him, he seems to genuinely believe that an Everton fan or a Lyon fan, or a Derby County fan, or an Ajax fan really wants to see the best players in the world play for Madrid - like that's our aim for these players, like we're so happy for them that they got there that it makes football all worthwhile.

He lives in a very strange bubble.

He does, but in countries like Poland where I grew up in the 90s, you had Liverpool and man u posters on the wall, and when playing FIFA you wanted the best players and wanted to score like Roberto Carlos. Everyone had fake Zidane and Batistuta shirts.

I understand what he is saying.

It was all about the big teams and I can only assume some people around the world (especially in lesser football countries) still think that way. 

But f*** him - the above does not give him a right to destroy football for the English, German, Spanish or Italians.

When the fans can get back into the ground this should become a shit shower for the owners. I read somewhere that the utd faithful is planning on buying 100.000 yellow and green tennis balls to throw onto the pitch in the first game they can. That's be hilarious. This of the US commentators.

'Omg Josh, there's 100.000 kicky balls out there, how do these players figure out which ball to hit!!??!" 

If the Glazers ever show up at the stadium it'll be a 120minute boo-fest.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Perez has said the contract is binding but one of the Premier League teams were not convinced and the rest bottled it. I agree with that

He also said without Super League Real cant sign Haaland or Mbappe :D  it breaks your heart

What? Why didn't someone say sooner, this outrage cannot be allowed! 

I order Aston Villa to immediately liquidate all assets and hand them over to Real Madrid NOW! 

I think this quote from Perez's press conference speaks volumes...

“The English clubs tried to do something, but they were being told they were killing football. But there is no other solution, than the Super League. Or somebody invents something else."

There is no other solution, apart from of course a different idea that someone might have. The man is an imbecile. 

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

I think this quote from Perez's press conference speaks volumes...

“The English clubs tried to do something, but they were being told they were killing football. But there is no other solution, than the Super League. Or somebody invents something else."

There is no other solution, apart from of course a different idea that someone might have. The man is an imbecile. 

He just can't see that the other solution is to sign players for smaller transfer fees and pay them lower wages if he cant afford to pay higher. 

I want an Aston Martin. I really badly want one but there is no outrage that I can't afford one, and the solution is to drive a VW Polo. 

His answer is to take out a massive loan costing way more than my wages and then when I can't afford to pay the installments to go out stealing others cars to pay for it and then be confused about why the police want to stop me... Don't they understand it's the only way to keep my Aston Martin? They should really be helping me, can't they see that? 

• Like 2

Just now, sidcow said:

He just can't see that the other solution is to sign players for smaller transfer fees and pay them lower wages if he cant afford to pay higher. 

I want an Aston Martin. I really badly want one but there is no outrage that I can't afford one, and the solution is to drive a VW Polo. 

His answer is to take out a massive loan costing way more than my wages and then when I can't afford to pay the installments to go out stealing others cars to pay for it and then be confused about why the police want to stop me... Don't they understand it's the only way to keep my Aston Martin? They should really be helping me, can't they see that? 

not even that

he already drives an aston martin DBS but wants a vulcan but cant afford it and he's blaming the polo drivers who he thinks should enjoy watching him drive his new car

Â