Breakaway League

Jareth

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Whoever this Footy Accumulator tweeter is has got the rule wrong.

Read ‘CL New Qualifications rule’ thread where it explained.

It’s still not a good rule but this dude has got it wrong!

Thanks for pointing out that thread.

I have read it and I don’t see it. It favours teams that have not qualified by right but have finished outside of qualifying positions but have a good five year history in the CL.

In the example, Man U could finish 6th West Ham 5th. Man U qualify for the CL based upon the last five years coefficient. West Ham qualify for the Europa League regardless. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That fact was certainly true in the 80's and 90's but not anymore.  Clubs like United and Liverpool will turnover way way more than a single supermarket now.  For sure they are smaller than an actual supermarket chain but they are now big business.

Supermarket sweep?

RIP Dale.

34 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Don't count me in that group 😄

I was explaining that their lawyers will likely not just accept a severe punishment laying down and I can see what their grounds for fighting it will be. I was pointing out that this is not going to be as clear cut as we would like it to be. 

fair enough, apologies!

personally i think after the outcry, any punishment will just be accepted by them. after everything, would any of them have the audacity to appeal any punishment?

Listening to John Henry on talkSPORT. Prick.

He only apologised to Liverpool fans. Did he actually apologise to everyone else?

It’s not just fans of the 6 clubs that need apologies from the ratbastard owners that tried to bulldoze this through.

2 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

While it stinks, surely the Co efficient should start from scratch? Why this arbitrary 5 years? Why not 40 years? 50?

5 years is the optimum number to favour the clubs that they want the rule to favour.

45 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Thanks for pointing out that thread.

I have read it and I don’t see it. It favours teams that have not qualified by right but have finished outside of qualifying positions but have a good five year history in the CL.

In the example, Man U could finish 6th West Ham 5th. Man U qualify for the CL based upon the last five years coefficient. West Ham qualify for the Europa League regardless. 

No, the rule says you still have to qualify for the CL phase or the Europa league so Man U would have to finish 5th or win the cup.  So the example the Footy Accum gave was wrong.  ONly finishing in a European place can Man U get Champions League entry.  So a better example is if West Ham finished 4th (CL phase place) and Man U finished 5th (Europa place) then Man U would get the advantage of jumping straight into the the CL League stage.  That's the unfair part.  But if they finished 6th outside the European places, they get nothing. 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So a better example is if West Ham finished 4th (CL phase place) and Man U finished 5th (Europa place) then Man U would get the advantage of jumping straight into the the CL League stage. 

Would West Ham also get a CL spot in that example?   So 5 places for English teams rather than 4?

The new champions league Wild card thing is a terrible idea! 

In my opinion the more teams in it the less prestige it has and the less meaning it has winning it. 

You can’t call a tournament the Champions league when you have 6th/7th place teams winning it! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

In my opinion the more teams in it the less prestige it has and the less meaning it has winning it. 

You can’t call a tournament the Champions league when you have 6th/7th place teams winning it! 

Needs resetting back to the European Cup, league winners only, the another minor European thing for 2nd and each countries major Cup winners.

The European Cup would then be an elite achievement like it was when proper clubs had a chance if winning it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I don't know, the US of A call all their domestic Champions "World Champions"

As long as you are confident enough about it people will just go along with it. However silly it is.

19 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

While it stinks, surely the Co efficient should start from scratch? Why this arbitrary 5 years? Why not 40 years? 50?

The Palace chairman made a good point about this earlier. Saying the Dutch and Austrian champions for example have to play qualifiers in July when the 4th placed Premier League side goes straight into the group stage.

He's right, its a disgrace.

• Like 2

Joel Glazer only apologising to United fans as well. It’s as if they are sorry that they couldn’t **** everyone else over without upsetting their fans. If their fans didn’t give a shit they wouldn’t apologise for anything.

Pathetic.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No, the rule says you still have to qualify for the CL phase or the Europa league so Man U would have to finish 5th or win the cup.  So the example the Footy Accum gave was wrong.  ONly finishing in a European place can Man U get Champions League entry.  So a better example is if West Ham finished 4th (CL phase place) and Man U finished 5th (Europa place) then Man U would get the advantage of jumping straight into the the CL League stage.  That's the unfair part.  But if they finished 6th outside the European places, they get nothing. 

Isn't the assumption here that 6th place qualifies for the EL because, as often happens, the FA Cup place passes to the league because the winners have already qualified? So actually Man Utd could finish 20th in league, win the FA cup and therefore be in the championship and and the CL group stages for the following season.

8 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

The Palace chairman made a good point about this earlier. Saying the Dutch and Austrian champions for example have to play qualifiers in July when the 4th placed Premier League side goes straight into the group stage.

He's right, its a disgrace.

Since second place and below were let in it’s been BS

18 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Liverpool won the CL in 2005 when they came 5th and then they changed  the rules to allow them back in the next season.

• Like 1

Is there a max number of teams that can qualify from one nation? I make it that 8 would be possible if no restrictions, in the unlikely scenario that CL and EL winners both finish outside top 4 and the two wild cards come from the same nation, plus the top 4.

Â