Breakaway League

Jareth

I loved watching villa when they was in the championship  and I will always Iove watching them. I watch other teams because I know they are competing with us. I won't bother if they peel off to a have your cake and eat it league and wouldn't subscribe to a TV channel that showed their games. Guess they will be fta for at least the first season. 

I just hope the premier league move quickly  and make  plans to move on without these teams being involved and don't pander to them because if they do we are always going to be a second class league.

If we kick them out then they are in a real sticky position with their revenue, their lenders have financed their loans on TV income generated from the premier  league.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Interesting that PSG and Bayern aren't involved.

It's basically a European competition without the inconvenience or worry of having to qualify. 

It's an horrendous stitch up.

PSG is interesting, but German clubs are to a large extend fan led - so they don't have these sort of problems.

• Like 1

It would be like 10-15 years ago when the likes of Man United, City, Liverpool could just cherry pick the talent and the rest of defenceless to hold onto them.

Only recently have Villa been able to keep its star asset, this would be the end of that. We’d be back to being shafted everytime we unearthed an Ashley Young, Dwight Yorke, James Milner, Gareth Barry, Benteke etc.

3 hours ago, will87 said:

Its the American owners trying to make football like their shitty fixed domestic sports leagues, it will fail miserably.

American sports are way more open and meritorious than football has been for the last 20 years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why do people think it would flop?

I can see why they want to do it, from their greedy perspective it would make them even richer and it would financially ruin the leagues they leave. From their point of view I think it would be a huge success.

The premier league would not be getting the billions it gets now if this happens.

The same 12 clubs every year playing in exhibition matches? No thanks, especially considering it’ll be a PPV model

• Like 1

No coincidence that the English clubs mentioned are predominantly US owned. They've been wanting a closed shop for years. They see the revenue the NFL makes. I hope UEFA and the PL are ready to hit them hard if they try and force this.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Late to the party. Is this happening then? Or is there an announcement on it? 

Just reading a few things on it and I can’t quite believe what I’m seeing.. 

Announcement at 9.30 tonight. Of some sort.

• Like 1

They obviously have a huge TV deal behind team , or streaming deal. You dont announce something like this without that. Hearing DAZN ,who are filthy rich. I expect the statement from the club's to be more or less a cut at UEFA and their CL proposed expansion  Will try and deflect and make out they had to do this. Bull.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

American sports are way more open and meritorious than football has been for the last 20 years.

This, in a way, is the crux of it. American sports have great parity, which is really great. But it comes at a cost and is based on a fundamentally different system than football does. It would be really great if you could get the parity of, say, the NFL, but you can't do that when you have relegation/promotion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

They obviously have a huge TV deal behind team , or streaming deal. You dont announce something like this without that. Hearing DAZN ,who are filthy rich. I expect the statement from the club's to be more or less a cut at UEFA and their CL proposed expansion  Will try and deflect and make out they had to do this. Bull.

This guy from Marca tweeted this earlier so if he is right you are probably right. [Ramón Álvarez de Mon] The founders of the Super League are very calm with the statement from UEFA and the Leagues. They expected them.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

*grabs popcorn*

This will be hilarious. I’m honestly not bothered, nor surprised by this. If they want to go off and form another league, great, let them.

Football is so, so corrupt and broken. I don’t know why I bother with it. Probably because I sat in the Holte End all them years ago. Probably because my dad and his dad before him stood on the Holte End all them years ago. 

But just look at what it is now. VAR, FFP, club ownership, TV rights, the salaries of players. It’s f****** rubbish. 

Im a villa fan but football is really, really s***. 

I have nothing of that history, but I simultaneously can't turn away, while seeing how obviously messed up it is.

The reaction from the various leagues and bodies has been reassuringly strong. It's a real positive - corrupt and bloated they may be, but they're not about to let anyone else steal the trough and they've shown a really good united front on this. They will want to reduce the power these clubs have off the back of this threat, if only to secure their own nests, but I think that could still be a positive.

The reaction from UEFA, the leagues, pundits, journalists and fans has been very strong and very consistent and that's a thing that's quite hopeful I think - maybe there's a positive change that can come from this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

No coincidence that the English clubs mentioned are predominantly US owned. They've been wanting a closed shop for years. They see the revenue the NFL makes. I hope UEFA and the PL are ready to hit them hard if they try and force this.

Would be funny if they all got kicked out the domestic league and only had that league to go to.

12 teams, you play each other 8 times in a season home/away twice and then 4 neutral venues around the world. This is all just to be seeded for the play offs where they again play each other in a best of 7 series until there's only one team left standing and they are crowned World Champions. That's how the yanks like it.

• Like 1

Whilst I am almost in the mind of let them go away and the premier league would be better the darts analogy comes to mind. And now the original organisation the BDO has gone bust so the breakaway won. Hopefully the Premier League is better run than that.

If this did happen even the small chance of us competing with the top teams would be gone, and the quality of football in the Premier League would lower to a slightly better version of the Championship.  I don't know it depends on what you prioritise as a fan- a fair  but lower standard of competition or a chance to compete against the best. We would be also rans forever.

5 minutes ago, tyklip said:

This, in a way, is the crux of it. American sports have great parity, which is really great. But it comes at a cost and is based on a fundamentally different system than football does. It would be really great if you could get the parity of, say, the NFL, but you can't do that when you have relegation/promotion.

They have a better set up of balance in terms of keeping teams fresh, the youth players going to the worst teams is a good idea but the trade off is a system where the league is dead. Baseball teams play 162 games in a season just to be seeded for the play offs, pointless. 

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Because the owners are protected from taking huge losses.  So clubs are free to compete on the field while all the owners share in the profits win or lose. 

In european football lose enough and your club can cease to exist. No billionaire owner is going to be okay watching their quarter billion asset go poof into thin air. I seriously detest this super league but I fully understand why the biggest clubs have made this play. 

• Like 1

Â