Breakaway League

Jareth

I'm really unsure how this will play out if it goes ahead. It's a genuine threat to the existing PL and CL, I think - but it's a massive gamble for the clubs involved. It either goes incredibly well for them or it destroys them.

It's certainly possible that the PL and CL survive without the "big" clubs (although you'd expect Bayern / PSG to absolutely dominate the CL for a while), but I think it really depends whether the new league can afford to lure in all the best players with massive deals. I guess most players might prefer visiting all the elite stadiums across Europe for every game rather than having to go to Burnley on a cold night twice a years and have Ben Mee snap your legs in two?

If this super league pulls a big audience for multiple years and makes more than real football does, I think it would be inevitable they'd start to invite other teams in and slowly peel off all the best players and teams until they've entirely replaced the existing governance structure.

But I'm amazed the owners of the 12 clubs would risk their existing investments on it. Those clubs are worth a lot of money and there's a real chance that investment would fall to zero if they try this...

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Spurs haven't won the league in 60 years. They last one a domestic cup in 2008, and their last success in Europe was nearly 40 years ago. Apart from having a swanky stadium, how can they be seen as a club that should be part of a Super League?

I got you..

b8fb564e07669a0e3c1f8b90fc47921b.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Spurs haven't won the league in 60 years. They last one a domestic cup in 2008, and their last success in Europe was nearly 40 years ago. Apart from having a swanky stadium, how can they be seen as a club that should be part of a Super League?

Come on mate, it ain't that difficult

A cheese lounge and fancy self filling pint glasses in the stadium bars grants them a ticket it

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

You're right.

It won't happen. And they will be back.

I'd love something strong from uefa tomorrow now. A reversal of whatever they were planning to do.

I'd personally love UEFA to turn around and award only 2 spots to major leagues around Europe for champions league qualification. Kind of a " well guys you thought it was boring and dull before, how about now " message to the elite. Of course this is fanciful, if anything UEFA will go in the other direction.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The NFL comparison is interesting.

If the Bears sell three millions shirts and the Packers sell one million, which club gets the most money? They get the same, because the league owns the shirt deal. Who manufactures the Cowboys shirts? The same company that manufactures everyone's shirts, because the league make the deal. It's the league that control the clubs, not the other way around. The league collects on that deal and divides the money up between all of the teams.

It's that collectivism that makes the NFL a success, it's completely un-American in many ways, but it keeps them controlled, it allows them to impart parity and it means if you don't like it, the league give your team to someone else.

The last thing that this group of 12 teams want is parity, the last thing they want is to share their wealth with others - they want to become the league and at the same time be teams within that league. They want to collect all of the money and keep just about all of it for themselves.

This is all true, but I would that, yes these don't want parity, but that's because their resources aren't guaranteed like the NFL. If instead of you getting the top draft pick on an amazingly cheap salary (relatively) for being the worst team, you got relegated, the Cowboys would want nothing to do with parity.

18 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

They might be in the first season but with the money involved they could build a competitive team. They are looking at bringing in £350m per season per club. The wages they would pay would more than compensate any player who couldn’t play for their national team anymore. 

maybe but Spurs and Arsenal already play in the richest league in the world and are struggling in 7th and 9th. With games in hand played could end up 8th and 11th

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tyklip said:

This is all true, but I would that, yes these don't want parity, but that's because their resources aren't guaranteed like the NFL. If instead of you getting the top draft pick on an amazingly cheap salary (relatively) for being the worst team, you got relegated, the Cowboys would want nothing to do with parity.

But the key is that the NFL is the company - the Cowboys work for them, they're a franchise, they get no say.

The Premier League is the opposite.

These clubs want to become the league.

I do think the clubs involved dont really realise how much they need the Fulham, Burnleys and Beneventos of this world. Social media fans are idiots and they will be calling for managers heads weekly when they lose to superior opposition

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

But the key is that the NFL is the company - the Cowboys work for them, they're a franchise, they get no say.

The clubs have always been the league as the FA did a bottle job when it was formed when leaving the Football League.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

For boris johnson to get involved this speaks volumes. Shit is going to hit the fan.

Cant wait to hear simon jordans verdict on this on TS

I don’t know how or if but if government could intervene would be awesome....maybe under some sort of football monopolies wording/law, if that is even possible if this super league does get some sort of momentum.  Arguing it is destroying a whole industry that relies on work from football for 10’s or 100’s of thousands of people and thus taking all that money from all those teams and industries that rely on them around the country and gathering to just six (English) teams is a government concern.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I don’t know how or if but if government could intervene would be awesome....maybe under some sort of football monopolies wording/law, if that is even possible if this super league does get some sort of momentum.  Arguing it is destroying a whole industry that relies on work from football for 10’s or 100’s of thousands of people and thus taking all that money from all those teams and industries that rely on them around the country and gathering to just six (English) teams is a government concern.

UK are out of the EU now so maybe could find something in the wording. I think its just posturing from BoJo

15 of the 20 teams would be guaranteed a place forever. Where would the other 5 come from? I wouldn't be surprised if they said no more English teams as 7 out of 20 would be too many. The 5 teams would probably be the champions of Holland, Belgium, Portugal, Italy and a new all-star team from the MLS.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yeah, they want their cake and to eat it too. If they want the protection of a setup like the NFL then they have to give up their distinct independence.

They are trying to pick and choose the parts of the NFL they like while shucking the rest.  You can't have it both ways.  First they tried it within the premier league with Project Big Picture. This is just a continuation of that effort. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Would also accelerate their entry into a European super league so it depends what the end goal is

F 'em - so long.

At least the PL or Division one or whatever you called it would be interesting again if any one of 10 teams could win it.

25th Jun 2020 - Liverpool win first league title for 30 years.

April 2021 :- with a feeble defence of their title - they are believed to be one of the main instigators of a Breakaway League.

You couldn't make this shite up.!! - Liverpool should be thrown out of the PL even if this superleague comes to nowt.

Â