Breakaway League

Jareth

6 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

They obviously have a huge TV deal behind team , or streaming deal. You dont announce something like this without that. Hearing DAZN ,who are filthy rich. I expect the statement from the club's to be more or less a cut at UEFA and their CL proposed expansion  Will try and deflect and make out they had to do this. Bull.

With 12 teams, one league, booted out of other competition.  Most non-big twelve club fans not subscribing, it would mean each game would have to a large pay per view charge or the yearly subscription would have to be very high for the numbers to work. It would only be fans of those teams.  It seems fanciful if no support from the current governing bodies so I’m interested (but disgusted) at what they will announce.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Pretty sure it was the ICL, which was the original T20 league set up in India without the permission of the ICC or BCCI.  I think all players were banned from official competition worldwide, then the BCCI set up the IPL.  English players weren't in demand really and the England players were generally made to respect their central contracts as the IPL usually is at the same time as the start of the English season.  Since then England got brilliant at white ball cricket and the ECB gave up trying to fight it and just let the players play IPL if they want.

Not 100% sure on this, but I thought Kevin Pieterson was one of the most expensive players in the initial auction when the IPL launched - if not the most expensive?

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why do people think it would flop?

I can see why they want to do it, from their greedy perspective it would make them even richer and it would financially ruin the leagues they leave. From their point of view I think it would be a huge success.

The premier league would not be getting the billions it gets now if this happens.lo

I think people are a bit football fatigued probably worse than before pandemic. Local fans arent interested either and a closed league isnt fun. At least American leagues have drafts for the shit teams to improve but Arsenal and Spurs will be the 6 Nations version of Italy

Crucially for bandwagon fans, 3 or 4 of the teams in the league will win a trophy normally. Whats the point of supporting when just one winner 

Edited by Zatman

2 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Because the owners are protected from taking huge losses.  So clubs are free to compete on the field while all the owners share in the profits win or lose. 

In european football lose enough and your club can cease to exist. No billionaire owner is going to be okay watching their quarter billion asset go poof into thin air. I seriously detest this super league but I fully understand why the biggest clubs have made this play. 

Biggest clubs? Spurs and Arsenal...seems they slipped in the back door

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

They have a better set up of balance in terms of keeping teams fresh, the youth players going to the worst teams is a good idea but the trade off is a system where the league is dead. Baseball teams play 162 games in a season just to be seeded for the play offs, pointless. 

Yeah, for me, it really is a case of me really liking the parity of U.S. sports and knowing that it comes with significant costs.

I reckon they'll bottle it. PR nightmare, loads of players will opt out. Surely they can't be that greedy and actually think enough people will pay for subscriptions for this shi-ite (will need to be even higher buy-in from fans than their is, and people are absolutely fooking obsessed with football).

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Because the owners are protected from taking huge losses.  So clubs are free to compete on the field while all the owners share in the profits win or lose. 

In european football lose enough and your club can cease to exist. No billionaire owner is going to be okay watching their quarter billion asset go poof into thin air. I seriously detest this super league but I fully understand why the biggest clubs have made this play. 

That is an excellent way of putting it.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Maybe, but look at our season in the Championship. Probably the most enjoyable in years. I didn’t care much about the quality of the football, just the competitiveness, the relentlessness of the fixtures and travelling near and far for away games. 

As bad as it might be, yes, it could also be what football has needed in this country. I honestly don’t care about ‘football’ really anymore, just Villa, and it’s much better when it’s competitive and you can celebrate a goal without some daft technology desperately trying to rule it out. 

Let them form their own league. Don’t care.

Well yes but we lost millions and millions and we were moments from administration until we got taken over by current owners. If the premier league was not so enticing would they have bothered?  I don't really think bobbing around mid table in the Championship like Forest or Wednesday for decades would have been particularly fun.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think people are a bit football fatigued probably worse than before pandemic. Local fans arent interested either and a closed league isnt fun. At least American leagues have drafts for the shit teams to improve but Arsenal and Spurs will be the 6 Nations version of Italy

They might be in the first season but with the money involved they could build a competitive team. They are looking at bringing in £350m per season per club. The wages they would pay would more than compensate any player who couldn’t play for their national team anymore. 

2 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I reckon they'll bottle it. PR nightmare, loads of players will opt out. Surely they can't be that greedy and actually think people will pay for subscriptions for this shi-ite.

This!

Not sure there would be the demand for this long term to be honest. No fans of any other clubs will have much interest beyond the first few games. PPV could be a lot less than they anticipate. Especially as they would probably be playing the same teams multiple times, doesn’t matter who they are, that would become repetitive and boring. Not playing your domestic rivals from around the country would rip out much of what makes he game compelling. Some of them may be big fish in their own back yard, but ultimately some would find themselves in the lower reaches of this so called Super League. They and more especially their fans won’t fancy that long term.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

The answer to this has to be not just a No, but a No so fierce that they'll be too afraid to ever come back and try again - I don't want the next iteration of Big Picture coming in 2022, let's know this on the head, now and forever.

For starters, there should be life bans from football for the people bringing this to the table - and yes, I mean Woodward, Levy, Perez et al, it needs to be clear that what they have done is despicable and wrong. We banned Platini and Blatter for threatening the integrity of the game, we should be doing the same here.

We then need to begin the process of weakening these teams, of spreading the wealth and power in football across more sides and into more hands - so that this can't happen again.

We need a No that is powerful enough to stay No.

You're right.

It won't happen. And they will be back.

I'd love something strong from uefa tomorrow now. A reversal of whatever they were planning to do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Crucially for bandwagon fans, 3 or 4 of the teams in the league will win a trophy normally. Whats the point of supporting when just one winner 

I’m not sure of what the format would be but it could be a season, followed by play offs (also popular in the US) to mix it up a bit.

Even if it’s not super exciting I think it’ll spin an awful lot of money which is what it is all about.

It will be at the cost of the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A who will have their TV revenues slashed.

Spurs haven't won the league in 60 years. They last one a domestic cup in 2008, and their last success in Europe was nearly 40 years ago. Apart from having a swanky stadium, how can they be seen as a club that should be part of a Super League?

The NFL comparison is interesting.

If the Bears sell three millions shirts and the Packers sell one million, which club gets the most money? They get the same, because the league owns the shirt deal. Who manufactures the Cowboys shirts? The same company that manufactures everyone's shirts, because the league make the deal. It's the league that control the clubs, not the other way around. The league collects on that deal and divides the money up between all of the teams.

It's that collectivism that makes the NFL a success, it's completely un-American in many ways, but it keeps them controlled, it allows them to impart parity and it means if you don't like it, the league give your team to someone else.

The last thing that this group of 12 teams want is parity, the last thing they want is to share their wealth with others - they want to become the league and at the same time be teams within that league. They want to collect all of the money and keep just about all of it for themselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

They might be in the first season but with the money involved they could build a competitive team. They are looking at bringing in £350m per season per club. The wages they would pay would more than compensate any player who couldn’t play for their national team anymore. 

It’s 16m per game per club, so 32m cost per game to people running the league after you have alienated half the football fan base.  Seems like a lot of money to recoup.  

Top players also going from playing 60 games a season with league, cups and international games to just 22 games, are they going to be happy with that because they are excluded from other competitions for club and country.

Just now, Genie said:

I’m not sure of what the format would be but it could be a season, followed by play offs (also popular in the US) to mix it up a bit.

Even if it’s not super exciting I think it’ll spin an awful lot of money which is what it is all about.

It will be at the cost of the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A who will have their TV revenues slashed.

I wouldn’t be too sure on the finances. Would fans of other clubs, who make up the vast majority, be willing to pay for this. I know I wouldn’t. The revenue could be potentially a lot less than they anticipate.

• Like 1

Â