Breakaway League

Jareth

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Man Utd vs Barcelona on MUTV for £5 could get 100 million global sales - a single game could make that £500m mark. They won't want to share that with broadcasters - you'd be looking at a highlights show somewhere.

Someone earlier posted that it was only a few games a season, say 2 or 3 that are on the teams own channel 

• Like 1

I think more people will stream games illegally if it’s a case of buying games one off every time.

If it’s a monthly subscription more people will pay and watch.

More viewers = more ad revenue

Just now, villa4europe said:

UEFA and FIFA said something along the lines of if you play in an alternative competition then you cant play in the international competitions

Not sure what the PL have said 

But this must be being done in the confidence that these clubs are so powerful that everyone will bend to their will, the PL won't kick them out they need the revenue that they generate, neither will UEFA ban the players from the euros 

Ultimately I think they'll paint it as breaking away from UEFA not breaking away from the PL and the PL will be spineless and do nothing about it 

From what I've read they and the PL have said anything of these sorts and they are banned domestically and in European football and internationally. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

UEFA and FIFA said something along the lines of if you play in an alternative competition then you cant play in the international competitions

Not sure what the PL have said 

But this must be being done in the confidence that these clubs are so powerful that everyone will bend to their will, the PL won't kick them out they need the revenue that they generate, neither will UEFA ban the players from the euros 

Ultimately I think they'll paint it as breaking away from UEFA not breaking away from the PL and the PL will be spineless and do nothing about it 

Apparently Masters told them to resign from the league

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well hats off to Neville, I am pleasantly surprised, a very impassioned little clip that. 

And I agree with him, firm and hard action needs to be taken to discourage this constant shit about super leagues.

• Like 1

Just now, Spoony said:

I just don’t really see how it can be successful? Would anyone actually watch it?

I think lots of people would watch it, it would pull all the best players in the world. 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Didn’t England (Cricket) say if you play in the IPL you can’t play for England? IIRC they backed down on that.

Pretty sure it was the ICL, which was the original T20 league set up in India without the permission of the ICC or BCCI.  I think all players were banned from official competition worldwide, then the BCCI set up the IPL.  English players weren't in demand really and the England players were generally made to respect their central contracts as the IPL usually is at the same time as the start of the English season.  Since then England got brilliant at white ball cricket and the ECB gave up trying to fight it and just let the players play IPL if they want.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Spoony said:

I just don’t really see how it can be successful? Would anyone actually watch it?

Yeah I am doubtful as well. I would never watch it, and my impression from my friends is that it's enough with CL. 

That's before we adress the bit about football being interesting cause it's competitive. A US no relegation league to establish a money making machine, that sounds dull as ****. No prestige in that. 

Just now, Genie said:

I think lots of people would watch it, it would pull all the best players in the world. 

I wouldn’t watch it, I don’t currently watch the champions league either, if my club aren’t in the competition it’s not really very interesting for me. A super league of clubs I feel nothing for, nah thanks, don’t care how skilful the players are.

• Like 2

Just now, Tommo_b said:

I wouldn’t watch it, I don’t currently watch the champions league either, if my club aren’t in the competition it’s not really very interesting for me. A super league of clubs I feel nothing for, nah thanks, don’t care how skilful the players are.

Fair enough but I think you’re in the minority. The Champions league is a huge success around the world, and all the top players see it as the pinnacle.

This is like CL+. 

There will be no action against them if the proposal fails lets be honest, like the last one it will go quiet and then rumblings will happen again in a year or two. Neville is right though, deduct any club that has signed up for it and show without hesitation that there will be severe punishment for these discussions in future.

Â