Breakaway League

Jareth

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

UEFA and FIFA said something along the lines of if you play in an alternative competition then you cant play in the international competitions

Not sure what the PL have said 

But this must be being done in the confidence that these clubs are so powerful that everyone will bend to their will, the PL won't kick them out they need the revenue that they generate, neither will UEFA ban the players from the euros 

Ultimately I think they'll paint it as breaking away from UEFA not breaking away from the PL and the PL will be spineless and do nothing about it 

yep FIFA have said that this will not be sanctioned by them therefore players will be forbidden from taking part at the world cup .

it would be interesting, in the unlikely event that it happens, how players will react to it. it's always been theorised that they're solely motivated by money...but if they can't play in the world cup? it's the pinnacle of a players career...the biggest stage...to be denied that ability, they might seek to stay in the domestic leagues.

would love it if it falls flat on its face and the worlds best players end up at the likes of leicester, us, etc!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

What’s there even to play for in such a league? Money? A trophy?

In the Champions League you can claim supremacy in Europe. In the Premier League you can claim supremacy in England. In a closed league you can claim supremacy over 11 other clubs.

Closed leagues like the NFL and NBA work because they are far and away the best league and teams in the world in their respective sports. If this goes through and the PL, UEFA, and FIFA impose the sanctions they’re threatening, I truly believe there is a chance that some of these clubs will no longer even be the best in their home country. In 5 years if Arsenal finish 10th or worse every season, how many players would sacrifice a chance to play for their international side to get beat up on a weekly basis? Money talks, but that money might dry up quick for clubs that don’t have success in this league.

We won the trophy in this Super League but we never played Bayern Munich so we can't really call us the best in Europe. It's a joke. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Let them go. 

And then when Arsenal and Spurs finish bottom and second bottom every year, they'll soon come crying back. 

This is an interesting point in all this...

What happens in year 2,3,4 when say arsenal and spurs do come in the bottom 2 every year ?

Sure they still get the league cash - but reputation would be in tatters - top players wont want to play for them - no international support because they are crap - will they want to languish at the bottom of the league ?

I reckon the plan would be for the founding 11/12 clubs to own a percentage of the league - then over the next few years they invite more and more clubs from around europe - so expanding the league to eventually 20 - then maybe even another division.

In a few years they may have 2 divisions, with all the global TV contracts, with the original founding members owning most of it.

Hideous.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Tarts, the lottofem.

So far, on one side we have eleven clubs and a  bank and on the other we have UEFA, FIFA, the Premier League, the FA, the Football Supporters association, supporters of every club and some of the major TV companies. 

The problem is that these clubs can't find a way to reduce the wages and transfer fees they pay out without allowing other clubs to also succeed on the basis of lower fees and wages - so they're having to try to find ways to prevent those clubs competing. The problem is that all of those clubs have business models that don't account for periods where they aren't the worlds biggest clubs. All of those clubs have business models that refuse to accept the realities of sport.

Yep. The sensible option would be to discuss some sort of salary capping across Europe. However that they would be terrified if they did that all the top players will just go off to the Middle East or where the money will be next. So it won't happen.

I think this may  generally reflect the relative decline of Europe and that these 12 clubs see themselves as global brands that happen to originate on the continent through an historical quirk. 

Just now, richp999 said:

This is an interesting point in all this...

What happens in year 2,3,4 when say arsenal and spurs do come in the bottom 2 every year ?

Sure they still get the league cash - but reputation would be in tatters - top players wont want to play for them - no international support because they are crap - will they want to languish at the bottom of the league ?

I reckon the plan would be for the founding 11/12 clubs to own a percentage of the league - then over the next few years they invite more and more clubs from around europe - so expanding the league to eventually 20 - then maybe even another division.

In a few years they may have 2 divisions, with all the global TV contracts, with the original founding members owning most of it.

Hideous.

Exactly my point. 

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yep. The sensible option would be to discuss some sort of salary capping across Europe. However that they would be terrified if they did that all the top players will just go off to the Middle East or where the money will be next. So it won't happen.

I think this may  generally reflect the relative decline of Europe and that these 12 clubs see themselves as global brands that happen to originate on the continent through an historical quirk. 

If you look at the NHL in particular with their salary cap and wages being waaaay better in the top clubs in Russia, this doesn't happen. It might be that ice-hockey players have more integrity than footballers but I doubt it. Sure ME would attract some veterans but no chance they attract the big players in their prime.

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yep. The sensible option would be to discuss some sort of salary capping across Europe. However that they would be terrified if they did that all the top players will just go off to the Middle East or where the money will be next. So it won't happen.. 

They're terrified that if they do that, there are clubs in England that make enough money to be able to compete with them. They aren't worried about the middle east, they're worried about Leicester, about Everton, about Villa, about Atalanta - European football has always had teams that have been bigger than others, but there has always been change. Now that these clubs are billion dollar business's, that change is unacceptable - it's good sport, but it's not good business.

They're trying to find a way to cap their own spending so that they can stay profitable, whilst at the same time not allowing anyone else to spend an amount of money that would make them competitive. Shutting teams out of whole lucrative competitions is one way of doing that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

If you look at the NHL in particular with their salary cap and wages being waaaay better in the top clubs in Russia, this doesn't happen. It might be that ice-hockey players have more integrity than footballers but I doubt it. Sure ME would attract some veterans but no chance they attract the big players in their prime.

I’m a massive hockey fan, and I have some friends who have played in the KHL (Russian league). It’s massively corrupt, and if you go on a losing streak you may not get paid until you win again. So it’s a little more complicated.

The ME would probably turn into a new MLS, where the superstars can capitalize on a lucrative contract while riding off into the sunset.

12 club league would be shit. If no relegation from or promotion to new league then it will mean a lot of the games will just be exhibitions and that's it.  Sounds like a money man's wet dream that could ruin the clubs involved, if the clubs do it on their own without Uefa/Fifa sanction then they would have to start again from non league once it's flopped. 

Sweet, **** them.

I wonder, if you're not associated with FIFA, would you have to pay transfer fees for players from non-FIFA clubs?

Could Superleague Juventus pay out the remainder of Jack's contract or simply ask him to resign and then sign him up, with no transfer fee to us because his FIFA registration doesn't matter to them?

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wonder, if you're not associated with FIFA, would you have to pay transfer fees for players from non-FIFA clubs?

Could Superleague Juventus pay out the remainder of Jack's contract or simply ask him to resign and then sign him up, with no transfer fee to us because his FIFA registration doesn't matter to them?

How does it work when players switch codes in rugby?

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Interesting point and so many potential issues. Again, it could be used for some good and reform the current transfer process. 

I get the impression the renegade 12 want to have their cake and eat it by remaining in their current domestic leagues whilst ring fencing themselves in a bobbins European midweek league.

if they’re so desperate for a European friends only club then resign from your league and walk away. 

If villa ever signed up to something like this id tell them to **** off and id turn my back on the club.

Let these scumbags go. Do what neville said deduct them all 25 points and give the title to west ham or leicester.

It will all be a disaster and they would come crawling back with their tails between their legs when it flops

Why do people think it would flop?

I can see why they want to do it, from their greedy perspective it would make them even richer and it would financially ruin the leagues they leave. From their point of view I think it would be a huge success.

The premier league would not be getting the billions it gets now if this happens.

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

How does it work when players switch codes in rugby?

Typically players only make the switch at the end of their contract these days, so as far as I'm aware, there's not much friction around it. Although I think Sonny Bill Williams caused a mess by switching to Union about 18 months into a 5-year contract, and Toulon ended up paying a transfer fee which was essentially buying out his contract (similar to Neymar to PSG in a way), but that was over 10 years ago. He was banned from the NRL as well.

Bear in mind though, it used to be that most players switched from Union to League, as League was professional and Union wasn't, so it was a way for the best players to get paid and they didn't have to break any contracts to do so.

• Like 1

Â