Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

47 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I don't feel we have the wingbacks to play a 3-5-2 on a regular basis.  Save it for the odd game. Needs to be 4-3-3 with a rotation of Ings, Watkins, Bailey and Traore up front. Smith needs to manage playing time delicately. 

I very much agree. 

We have to get Buendia and Bailey in the team without having to a sacrifice our fullbacks. They are our most creative players. 

Smith will have to drop either Ings or Watkins eventually if he want to field his strongest team. 

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Thank you pair for reminding me that I need to book tickets for Puss in boots with the chuckle brothers at Wolverhampton Civic this Christmas 👍

The people who think we changed formation just because Leon Bailey came on probably were watching Puss in boots with the chuckle brothers 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

The people who think we changed formation just because Leon Bailey came on probably were watching Puss in boots with the chuckle brothers 

The Mrs has just explained that this is not possible as one of them is dead. Honestly had no idea. RIP from me to you

• Like 1

Rewatching The chicago bulls documentary The Last Dance atm and what came up was like exactly the same thing that had happened to us. The Bulls strategy was simply give the ball to  Jordan. So he would be scoring a shit ton of points every game but they never made the next step.

Phil Jackson came in and had the conversation with Michael and said that he would not be getting as much of the ball. At first Michael hated it for obvious reasons. It took them a good 12 months to master the triangle strategy which spread all of the play throughout the team. 

But ultimately it meant that the options on the court increased hugely and the ability to win increased hugely which lead to their domination. 

• Like 1

Is the thought of a sort 3 - 5 - 2 with " advanced " wingbacks and a solid 3 at the back ridiculous? ( I put Hause in for solidity, Left foot, and aerial ability )

Say :

Ings                 Watkins

Bailey            Ramsey          Mcginn         Buendia

Luiz       

Hause                   Mings                    Konsa

I know this is some extensive shoehorning and probably not realistic.   

Or:

Mings LCB     Konsa  CB        Axel RCB

Whichever people prefer. 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is the thought of a sort 3 - 5 - 2 with " advanced " wingbacks and a solid 3 at the back ridiculous? ( I put Hause in for solidity, Left foot, and aerial ability )

Say :

Ings                 Watkins

Bailey            Ramsey          Mcginn         Buendia

Luiz       

Hause                   Mings                    Konsa

I know this is some extensive shoehorning and probably not realistic.   

Or:

Mings LCB     Konsa  CB        Axel RCB

Whichever people prefer. 

I think Axel has to play in the middle simply because of his ability on the ball notice how he “get’s out” when we are playing out of the back and Konsa is fantastic at pressing high and provides width when needed 

• Like 1

Last season I think we notched quite a few of our goals in the first half - in fact quite early in the fist half - and conceded a few after the break. How often we needed to take advantage of our early pressure as we knew it would come back to bite us?

Yesterday was an example of us finally being able to go up through the gears. Many times in the recent past, we've kept a first-half 0-0 with a better team only for them to crank it up a notch in the second. That's exactly what we did yesterday.

32 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don't think 3 5 2 works that well. The difference was Bailey yesterday not the formation. Put on a player of pure class and he can change the game. With Axel unable to play next weekend I think we'll go 4 3 3

I thought it worked well yes it was tight but I don’t remember Martinez being worked much,  and it’s always difficult to break down a Benitez team once Cash scored it was only a matter of time before the game opened up, but agreed I think we’ll go 4-3-3 next weekend, given the personnel we have we don’t need to limit our selfs to one formation 

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

No one could foresee Ramsey's massive strides. 

Fixed our midfield issues. 

I think you're trying to justify the meltdown and bed wetting from the transfer window. 

The midfield was never as bad as some of you were making out. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don't think 3 5 2 works that well

I'm not that keen on it either. I think it leaves Cash and Targett too much ground to cover on their own and too much emphasis on them being the focal point for wide delivery into the box. Which both were very poor at last night. I also thought both were stretched too much at times leaving them behind the ball when out of possession. The other point to this being that it also exposes the back 3 if opponents get goal side of either as the CBs then need to split to cover the wings. Something that caught TM out against Chelsea. In addition I'm not sure it's the best system for Ings or Watkins. I think they both play better solo and with more space to run into. Which incidentally is a strength of both players.

As I mentioned last night though, it's more observation than criticism. 

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think you're trying to justify the meltdown and bed wetting from the transfer window. 

The midfield was never as bad as some of you were making out. 

To be fair mate, I think it's a combination of the points.

Ramsey replacing Barkley and exceling, allows the midfielders to play their games and offers them alot more protection.

Also shows what an overall waste and detriment Barkley was, despite some outstanding moments.

Some were rightly worried about the midfield, and i'd like to point out that, it's not only Villa fans on this forum who were concerned.

Fair play to everyone involved though, they've been great.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â