Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I can’t get over just how slow we are.. in everything we do. It’s like every game is a training ground game, it’s bizarre. Little to no tempo in anything. 

It's the way we are to play, with narrow 10s we have no out ball to play it quickly to the wide areas as width comes from the full backs who are defending when we regain possession. 

The year under Gerrard has set the club back. The squad has been mis managed as a result. We only have Bailey as a natural wide player 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Except going on matchday vibes do we do any work on the training ground at all. Marsch was right last week saying we are boring negative team to watch

It's like we're trying to bring everyone down to our level. 

27 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's the way we are to play, with narrow 10s we have no out ball to play it quickly to the wide areas as width comes from the full backs who are defending when we regain possession. 

The year under Gerrard has set the club back. The squad has been mis managed as a result. We only have Bailey as a natural wide player 

It's true. 
Coutinho and Buendia do not have the pace to play out wide in this division, I don't care what anyone thinks. Buendia may have been able to cut it from the right hand side for Norwich in the Championship (mainly) but he looks lost in a wide position here. You then have to pick between Coutinho and Buendia every match because you have to have pace somewhere in the team and Coutinho wins hands down every time as he is the better player. 

We need two new wide players in the next couple of windows along with another central midfielder. Signing Dendoncker was just daft, but the club probably knew that at the time. 

We're being very, very poorly run at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It's true. 
Coutinho and Buendia do not have the pace to play out wide in this division, I don't care what anyone thinks. Buendia may have been able to cut it from the right hand side for Norwich in the Championship (mainly) but he looks lost in a wide position here. You then have to pick between Coutinho and Buendia every match because you have to have pace somewhere in the team and Coutinho wins hands down every time as he is the better player. 

We need two new wide players in the next couple of windows along with another central midfielder. Signing Dendoncker was just daft, but the club probably knew that at the time. 

We're being very, very poorly run at the moment. 

They might not be everybody cup of tea but removing the 3 wingers in the summer was a shocking tactical move.

Anwar and Trez would probably be in our top 5 fastest players at the moment and they are not even lightning quick. 

Only players from our squad with any pace are Cash, Bailey, Ramsey, Archer and probably Mings and Watkins

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I can’t get over just how slow we are.. in everything we do. It’s like every game is a training ground game, it’s bizarre. Little to no tempo in anything. 

A number of our coaching staff have a lot of explaining to do on this. It’s been a decline in our speed of play ever since we brought Danks in.

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

A number of our coaching staff have a lot of explaining to do on this. It’s been a decline in our speed of play ever since we brought Danks in.

It's the ow build up play that Gerrard wanted us to play. That's why it's slow and we work the ball up the pitch and the full backs get up to provide the width. It's deliberately slow. 

We used to be a team who attacked with pace and got balls wide to Grealish and Traore.

The only way to turn the performances around is to change the system and Gerrard won't do that so we will continue to struggle until he's removed 

ive seen it mentioned on podcasts and realise i do the same, i spend games now just scrolling on social media on my phone rather than watching the game. it's all so dull

i remember being on the edge of my seat during the lockdown games. we were so fun to watch

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

ive seen it mentioned on podcasts and realise i do the same, i spend games now just scrolling on social media on my phone rather than watching the game. it's all so dull

i remember being on the edge of my seat during the lockdown games. we were so fun to watch

Shitposting in here during games provides the actual entertainment

Look, all this "players are just bad" nonsense, "what more can Steve do" people.

I will give to 2 examples of what our issue is and why it is down to coaching.

There was a moment last night where Konsa and I think Buendia or maybe JJ exchanged passes 4 times, middle to wide, ,middle to wide, middle to wide.  Just passing it sideways between themselves.   Neither at any time looked up or tried to walk the ball forward, neither under any particular pressure.  Why?  Why just repeatedly pass backwards and forwards without even thought?  It's a lack of urgency and lack of application and lack of an idea/plan, and that is firmly at the door of the manager.  They are both capable players but just didn't seem to know what was needed or expected of them.

The second example is even worse.  Luiz had the ball in the middle, played it out wide (to Coutinho?) and then just stood there with a defender blocking any return pass.  It would have been a simple matter to step forward into space and receive an easy forward one two pass, moving the ball forwards in triangles.......just very basic stuff for a professional club/player.   Pass and move, work in triangles, keep the ball moving.  Coutinho was closed down and conceded possession.

Again it just shows a total lack of application or idea what they're supposed to be doing.  This is basic stuff, it's not hard and this is coaching.  They're not bad players, Arsenal want to sign Luiz, but they are failing at the essentials and that has to come from the top.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t know if it’s poor coaching or the players are not carrying out the plan / simply not playing well enough or are just not good enough. We are also missing some key players at the moment.

Few more options:

1. There is no plan
  2. The plan is a terrible one -- see hoping for magic moments.

Just now, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

6 goals in 9 games

Dean Smith got FAR more out of far less.

Gerrard has an objectively better squad and we play worse, and score less.

Why is that not on the coaching?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I'm not particularly bothered if Gerrard stays or goes tbh, i get fed up of the constant changing every 12 months, but i don't blame Gerrard for Watkins 2 one on ones against Leeds, No

Ings wouldn't have been in that position because of his lack of pace, Archers ability at this level is unknown, Bailey blows hot and cold. That is our options. I find it hard to believe that Gerrard wasn't expecting at least 1 striker in the summer. After he gets them in, thats when i will judge him

But Ings is much more intelligent than Watkins, and any manager with a good brain shall try something else by trying Archer. It’s not like if our strikers looking like scoring anyway.

for me I won’t start Watkins apart from when we’re playing Top 6 and trying to defend. When we’re expecting more of the ball he shouldn’t be starting at all.

• Like 1

Â