Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Sorry, but looks terrible. Just terrible.

Sanson couldn't do what McGinn has or hasn't been doing for last 18 months?

Buendia with a proper run of starts as number 10 should be productive with assists and goals.

Archer would have a lot to learn upfront on his own but ultimately majority of prem teams play that system so it's just something he'd have to do.

Perhaps Ramsey out wide isn't something people want to see but he's most productive in games with space to drive into, showed that in the under 21s game the other week.

I don't think I said play that and we'd just waltz into top 6 but would be more interesting selection of players than what we're currently putting out.

We'd still also play a back 4 and keeper btw.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'd love us to set up like Arsenal do. 

Two holding midfield players. Buendia and Bailey in the Saka & Martinelli roles and play coutinho close to the striker like Odegaard does. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AVTuco said:

No. We had Jack.

Wouldn't disagree he was the best player in the league.

Would disagree that means other players in the squad...Watkins, McGinn, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Doug who played every game now are not good enough to look like a football team.

The others...El Ghazi, Trez, Traore, Barkley, Targett have been replaced by much better players. 

Without Jack we won at Old Trafford last season. Gave Chelsea two really good games. Smashed, didn't scrape past a crap Everton. 

Still, it was probably fair to move Smith on if we were going to really kick on up the table, to a higher level of player...We shouldn't be so far off from where we were. This is the issue.

I would accept it if we were massively changing styles and working towards something. We aren't. We show nothing.

If the plan is sit behind the ball every game and hope not to lose, count me out. And you can count out 55k or whatever it is at Villa Park every week if that's the future.

I'll take 54 points under Gerrard any time. No chance he's getting long enough to take us there, with good reason.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

The thing I can’t under is that the board are trying to invest in academy and build a young team. Yet Gerrard and even Smith don’t give them real chances even when games aren’t important (end of season) or players aren’t performing. What’s the point of keeping starting Watkins while you can try something else with Archer? I’m glad most of our potentially good ones are out on loans because we’re a joke currently. Look at Arteta, he’s now depending ok Martinieli, Saka and using the likes of Tierney and Smith Rowe. All are academy players. For me I prefer that approach than getting those called experienced players who usually fail than success and we get stuck with them. 

If it was me, I will build the team around:

Archer, Buendia, Bailey, Kamara, Luiz, Ramsey, Carlos, Martinez. Then you got Cash, Mings, Konsa, Digne, Traore, Chambers, Leander, Ings/Watkins to have them for the squad. Sell who can get some money back. 
Look seriously at the developement of A.Ramsey, Tim and so on. I’d be happy if I saw 2-3 starting next season out of them. I think we have a weak link on the left back and the midfield anyway. 
But nothing is being worked on for the longer term (the board are doing their best investmenting in that department, but the manager is doing his best to damage all of that).

We’re coming to a point were we’re hating the likes of McGinn and Watkins because of seeing them every game, I didn’t want a day to come and looking at McGinn that way, he’s written a nice history with us. Why is Gerrard ruining that?

• Like 1

On 09/10/2022 at 12:23, Risso said:

I completely disagree, and think it's absolutely the other way round, as I think would quickly become evident if Gerrard left and we moved on to the next bloke. Lots of players like McGinn and Watkins are nowhere near good for a sustained push for top 8, they're bottom half Premier League standard at best. The owners didn't back the manager nearly enough in the summer, witth the result that we're left with essentially the same team that Smith was struggling so badly with.

just about sums up the way, I see it.

On 06/10/2022 at 18:35, TRO said:

Dean was a decent manager and still is......but, despite not being his fault, he was not high profile enough in the industry, to attract Foreign players, in particular.

He also lost a player of very special talent, who could make that huge difference to a team......That was very hard on Dean, because we could not replace him, with the attributes he brought to the team.

Dean tried his best, with formations, but he simply hadn't got the players at his disposal, to move mountains....decent players sure, but not top calibre to challenge for European places.

getting formations right, will not necessarily, make up for a players loss of form, or questionable play.

Formations are important, but they are not the holy grail, some fans think they are......they are just a component of getting many things right.

If a player, is have a shit game, for whatever reason, the formation, set up or plan.....won't save us, on its own.

I accept, 11 players deployed righ, on song, on form and ready to rock and roll, then the manager has to galvanise that in to a succesful unit, 2 or 3 off the pace and he has a problem......but we run to criticise managers, too early in the analytics, IMO......and that not just SG, that in general.

I don't disagree with any of this, but Gerrard has had 11 months, a full pre season and 2 transfer windows to imprint his 'identity' on the team. Do you think it's too early to criticise if it seems pretty clear it's not working? I ask that as a genuine question btw, as I know text can come across unnecessarily aggy 😂

40 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I don't disagree with any of this, but Gerrard has had 11 months, a full pre season and 2 transfer windows to imprint his 'identity' on the team. Do you think it's too early to criticise if it seems pretty clear it's not working? I ask that as a genuine question btw, as I know text can come across unnecessarily aggy 😂

I was hoping, it was going to improve much better, than it has, sure I was.....but I question, my own judgment on that, of why, was I so sure it would.....I watch the individual play from our players and I am sad to say some things haven't changed, i.e SJM's ball control is still as questionable under SG as it was under Dean.....some player flaws are still there.

Ollies goal scoring with out Jack, is still questionable, under SG, nothings changed there.

I am not sure, if I understand this "Identity " claim, as much as I should.....what I see, is players, failing to hurt the opposition, through, their inability, to dominate them........I see  player, on the ball, failing to find a runner, who has the nous, reading of the game, to make a penetrative run.....if thats the managers fault, then I stand, corrected......because, he used to do it, without being prompted, by his manager.......I see Haaland doing it and pointing to where he wants the ball played, when he first arrived, not giving Pep chance to coach that.

I am no expert, as to how long these things take, Dean had  much longer, than SG, and he failed, with some of these players, and I think Dean was let down......I was quite shocked, how we stopped buying in the summer, after the Kamara and Carlos additions, I see other signings like Guimares and Nunes at Wolves, might have served us well.....Instead, I think we just about scrapped home.

The losing of 2 marquee signings was a huge blow to us.....other clubs with better squads, might have weathered the storm......but this now after 11 months, is still Dean Smiths signings, that concerns me.

If some folk, think, SG was going to breeze in and turn players with questionable attributes in to consistent top level performers....then I can see, why the disappointment spreads like wild fire.

Some of our players are simply not good enough.....and I am unsure, if they ever will be......That will be a challenge, for a new manager too.

I look at Leicester, as just a random club and I am unsure what their "Identity" is too.....I think too many players not doing what they should, can test these theories.

We are not in a good place right now, and its inevitable, that inspiration for anger, manifests itself quicker, than positivity.

However, for our own peace of mind, I suggest folk, look for the good shoots of recovery, with the same zest, thats imployed to pull asunder, any signs of fight back.

UTV

PS A win tonight, is a good win, no matter how we do it....there's plenty of time left to put the cherry on the cake.

18 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Watch the clips in this thread and tell me where this team has gone? 

where is the intelligent running off the ball?.....thats been with us for ages.

The player on the ball, is goosed, by the ball watchers.

Edited by TRO

22 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'd love us to set up like Arsenal do. 

Two holding midfield players. Buendia and Bailey in the Saka & Martinelli roles and play coutinho close to the striker like Odegaard does. 

It's so obvious that's how we should be playing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Kamara should have been next to Luiz at the start of the season as the two you mention above. 

I agree.

Thats what I thought, we would do.

4-2-3-1

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was hoping, it was going to improve much better, than it has, sure I was.....but I question, my own judgment on that, of why, was I so sure it would.....I watch the individual play from our players and I am sad to say some things haven't changed, i.e SJM's ball control is still as questionable under SG as it was under Dean.....some player flaws are still there.

Ollies goal scoring with out Jack, is still questionable, under SG, nothings changed there.

I am not sure, if I understand this "Identity " claim, as much as I should.....what I see, is players, failing to hurt the opposition, through, their inability, to dominate them........I see  player, on the ball, failing to find a runner, who has the nous, reading of the game, to make a penetrative run.....if thats the managers fault, then I stand, corrected......because, he used to do it, without being prompted, by his manager.......I see Haaland doing it and pointing to where he wants the ball played, when he first arrived, not giving Pep chance to coach that.

I am no expert, as to how long these things take, Dean had  much longer, than SG, and he failed, with some of these players, and I think Dean was let down......I was quite shocked, how we stopped buying in the summer, after the Kamara and Carlos additions, I see other signings like Guimares and Nunes at Wolves, might have served us well.....Instead, I think we just about scrapped home.

The losing of 2 marquee signings was a huge blow to us.....other clubs with better squads, might have weathered the storm......but this now after 11 months, is still Dean Smiths signings, that concerns me.

If some folk, think, SG was going to breeze in and turn players with questionable attributes in to consistent top level performers....then I can see, why the disappointment spreads like wild fire.

Some of our players are simply not good enough.....and I am unsure, if they ever will be......That will be a challenge, for a new manager too.

I look at Leicester, as just a random club and I am unsure what their "Identity" is too.....I think too many players not doing what they should, can test these theories.

We are not in a good place right now, and its inevitable, that inspiration for anger, manifests itself quicker, than positivity.

However, for our own peace of mind, I suggest folk, look for the good shoots of recovery, with the same zest, thats imployed to pull asunder, any signs of fight back.

UTV

PS A win tonight, is a good win, no matter how we do it....there's plenty of time left to put the cherry on the cake.

Yeah I mean ultimately we all want the same thing, which is a successful club. And I think the majority of fans want Gerrard to be the man to lead the club too, as he's already here. I think it's just that some think he's culpable for all of our shortcomings,  some think it's nothing to do with him, and the truth will ultimately lie somewhere in that grey area in between.

I think you speak a lot of sense about the players having to take responsibility, for not doing the right things on the pitch. Ultimately, regardless of what their coaches tell them to do, they're still highly paid athletes with the ability to make their own minds up on what to do in each moment on the pitch.

I think the bit I struggle with is that whilst there are clearly issues with the quality of some of the players, which is something no manager can accept sole responsibility for, the thing I blame Gerrard for is how he elects to utilise those players. I think most people can see how unbalanced our midfield is, especially if he's using both Rasmey and McGinn in there, and whilst it's not his fault that those two together can't form a cohesive midfield, he's had long enough as a manager, and has enough options in the squad, to change that. Whether that's a formation change or switching up personnel, there are things he can at least try. The fact that he won't is why I can't see him being a successful manager for us. He seems far too headstrong on issues like these, and that's why some fans, such as myself, identify formations as an issue.

He seems incapable of identifying a system that plays to his squads strengths, which is fine when you've first taken over a job, but after this amount of time I think the lack of any tangible change in our play paints a more alarming picture. 

I hope he turns it around, and I hope we batter Forest tonight to get back on track, but the longer the performances continue in their current vein, the more I feel like regardless of how good or bad our players are as individuals, a different manager could get much more out of them.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Except going on matchday vibes do we do any work on the training ground at all. Marsch was right last week saying we are boring negative team to watch

Evidenced by the lack of one touch stuff we play. Everything is take a touch, pause, look up, option’s gone. 

I hate to expound that it’s because how Gerrard is as a player but that’s what it feels like watching. No team cohesion, just trying to get that one wonder strike or Hollywood ball to win it. 

Might as well close this thread while Gerrard is still here. There are no tactics, just “here’s the shape, go out there and make some magic happen.”

Â