Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He hasn't been bad but hasn't been that great either TBH.  He should be dropped for the sole fact he clearly doesn't want to be here.

He is our best midfielder at the moment especially if Sanson wont be played

Good video and clearly shows why Gerrard needs to move to 3 at the back. Chambers or Dendoncker on right side of defence who can carry ball forward into midfield or attack. Also how we need more tactical flexibility for certain opponents. A player like Bailey or Ramsey could operate in some games as a wing back with Cash/Young a more defensive wing back on other side. Players who can carry the ball from deep like Ramsey/Bailey would provide a threat.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Can't wait until we see anyone but McGinn and Ramsey in the two eight roles, especially McGinn 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Emery will get us playing a 4-2-3-1

Cash Carlos Mings Digne

Kamara Luiz

Bailey Buendia Coutinho

Watkins

Then we’ll buy Sarr and Ramsey can battle for the 10 spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Emery will get us playing a 4-2-3-1

Cash Carlos Mings Digne

Kamara Luiz

Bailey Buendia Coutinho

Watkins

Then we’ll buy Sarr and Ramsey can battle for the 10 spot.

He mainly plays a 442 with Villarreal

6 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Whenever we plays with some width we seem much better. I have to say that we also look more balanced without Coutinho and Buendia. Begs the question as to why Gerrard doesn't do it very often. 

We have to remember that Chelsea didn’t park the bus, so our attack got more space in the last third than they normally do.

Also Gerrard have managed to sell/loan out all our wide players except Bailey.

For some reason Gerrard team selection against ManC and Chelsea were a lot more sensible than what he normally play. Against ManC we saw Kamara/Luiz partnership in midfield for the first and last time. Today we saw 4-3-3 with wingers for the first time this season.

I’m sure he is back to his normal self against Fulham.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Looking at the profile of the squad, I think you are right, its unlikely, things will change, baring divine intervention.

As opposed to keep saying, he doesn't have a plan, or a style, or the system is wrong......Tell us what the the team should be that stands out in your mind, to be so sure its wrong?

Tell us what System, what Plan, or what style SG should be sticking with......what in fact is his best team?

Or should he be changing/ rotating  things every game, like Potter is doing ( albeit with a far superior squad of diverse players to choose from)

When you say profile of the squad what do you mean? 7 players that started in the 7-2 win over Liverpool started the game yesterday.

Can you tell me what the system is? If I was manager I would do the following:

• The team seem to be horrible at crossing, this seems to have been an issue for the last 10 years. I would limit crosses and try and keep the ball on the floor.
  • The wing backs need to get closer to goal in the final third through direct runs and short passing one twos on the overlap.
  • There needs to be more movement in midfield (and from the team in general), rather than simply sideways passes and standing around.
  • Players need to demand the ball and play more one touch passes like we did under Smith.
  • We have the pace to be effective on the break, currently teams know this and its why we struggle so much against inferior opposition, they simply park the bus and we can't create anything.
  • I would drop McGinn, Coutinho. I'd be playing Bailey & Buendia off Watkins and give them the freedom to make mistakes.
  • I'd play two holding in midfield alongside JJ who can actually play a pass (sorry Marvellous) and encourage the full backs to get forward at every chance.
  • If Watkins isn't on it, I'm more than happy to bring in Archer and he seems to want to work hard and knows where the back of the net is.
  • I would tell JJ and Bailey to carry the ball any time they have space in front of them and run at players.
  • The ultimate goal would be to create touches in the oppositions area through effort and direct running in the final third.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Folski said:

When you say profile of the squad what do you mean? 7 players that started in the 7-2 win over Liverpool started the game yesterday.

Can you tell me what the system is? If I was manager I would do the following:

• The team seem to be horrible at crossing, this seems to have been an issue for the last 10 years. I would limit crosses and try and keep the ball on the floor.
  • The wing backs need to get closer to goal in the final third through direct runs and short passing one twos on the overlap.
  • There needs to be more movement in midfield (and from the team in general), rather than simply sideways passes and standing around.
  • Players need to demand the ball and play more one touch passes like we did under Smith.
  • We have the pace to be effective on the break, currently teams know this and its why we struggle so much against inferior opposition, they simply park the bus and we can't create anything.
  • I would drop McGinn, Coutinho. I'd be playing Bailey & Buendia off Watkins and give them the freedom to make mistakes.
  • I'd play two holding in midfield alongside JJ who can actually play a pass (sorry Marvellous) and encourage the full backs to get forward at every chance.
  • If Watkins isn't on it, I'm more than happy to bring in Archer and he seems to want to work hard and knows where the back of the net is.
  • I would tell JJ and Bailey to carry the ball any time they have space in front of them and run at players.
  • The ultimate goal would be to create touches in the oppositions area through effort and direct running in the final third.

Ok It wasn't what I was really expecting you answer to be......but I do get your drift.

I am not going to comment on every line......but how can you be sure, he and his coaches are not saying much of that....we simply don't know.

How can you be sure, the players not always doing what's been asked of them......He has limited options.

Take one player out and you lose some attributes to gain others......but the team loses attributes,as a whole, it's a trade off, the better teams, have to make less.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Ok It wasn't what I was really expecting you answer to be......but I do get your drift.

I am not going to comment on every line......but how can you be sure, he and his coaches are not saying much of that....we simply don't know.

How can you be sure, the players not always doing what's been asked of them......He has limited options.

Take one player out and you lose some attributes to gain others......but the team loses attributes,as a whole, it's a trade off, the better teams, have to make less.

Like I said its 7 players who were here 2 years ago, I've seen them operate a system. I honestly at the moment feel like every time a player gets the ball its like a wheel spins and whatever it lands on they do that be it side ways pass, hoof, run. There is just a complete lack of direction in the team and that comes from the manager down. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So would I. There won't be one. It will all be about others and excuses. 

so you give us your rendition of what system and team selection, you would play?

Just now, MrBlack said:

What I would have done from game 1...

Kamara and Luiz together (who knows, maybe Kamara wouldn't have got crippled from having to cover half a pitch on his own). With kamara injured it has to be Nakamba (or Sanson if we get Luiz to be the more defensive partner?)

Buendia and Bailey to provide us width. 

Courinho, McGinn or Ramsey as an offensive midfielder (none of them expected to play a defensive role)

One up front... giving competition to Watkins and Ings that encourages them to be better than shit and still very played regardless. 

Add Full backs not playing higher up the pitch than our striker

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

so you give us your rendition of what system and team selection, you would play?

2 holding midfielders. 2 proper wide players and a buendia or coutinho supporting a lone striker. 

Hope that's OK for you. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

What I would have done from game 1...

Kamara and Luiz together (who knows, maybe Kamara wouldn't have got crippled from having to cover half a pitch on his own). With kamara injured it has to be Nakamba (or Sanson if we get Luiz to be the more defensive partner?)

Buendia and Bailey to provide us width. 

Coutinho, McGinn or Ramsey as an offensive midfielder (none of them expected to play a defensive role)

One up front... giving competition to Watkins and Ings that encourages them to be better than shit and still very played regardless. 

Edit: bringing it back on topic, the fact Gerrard has never tried this despite all the random concoctions he has come up with amazes me. He is seemingly blinded to playing a logical shape.

It would be close, to the team, I would choose, but none of them are showing any exceptional form.

Luiz, has repeatedly baulked at Playing as a No6, even if he done it, out of loyalty.

Buendia and Bailey , have shown us flashes.... Bailey shows no aggression to beat players, where is the mythical pace, we was all told to expect?

Coutinho's form has been blitzed, opponents with a mind to press him.

Ramsey, is a promising, boy, but has peaks and troughs of consistency.....not good playing so often in a struggling side.

Watkins and Ings are not centre forwards, blessed with an aggression to make things happen, no aerial ability to help change games.

I have seen that many changes, it looks like spagetti junction.....I am not convinced the balance lies in this present squad.....that is not saying they are all bad players.

If that is saying the managers have failed to create a winning blend.....then I would have to agree with that.

Â