Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

2 hours ago, Anything11 said:

3 at the back makes sense. anything to shake it up a bit it has been so dross as of late

3 at the back to be successful you need a ball playing centre back and Mings is the best we have. We would also need to remove McGinn from midfield as he does not distribute the ball well enough for that system

It has disaster written all over it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anything11 said:

3 at the back makes sense. anything to shake it up a bit it has been so dross as of late

Does this make sense 

Martinez

Konsa    Bednarek    Mings

Cash McGinn Coutinho Ramsey Young

Ings      Watkins

Not sure I would even turn on the TV if that is the starting 11.

21 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Where is all this three at the back talk coming from?

My understanding was  it was the middle where we are struggling, the defence is ok.

Because we have no recognised senior left backs Gerrard mentioned the possibility of going to a three.

Otherwise it would have to be Cash at left back and Young at right back, because hell would have to freeze for him to consider picking Guilbert.

everytime i have ever seen us play a 3 it has been awful, it helped Dean get the sack so maybe it would help Gerrard lose his job if you are that way inclined

14 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Start playing our best players. Been waiting almost a year for him to do that.

Two of our better players (new signings) are long term injured. Who are these mythical "best players" that Gerrard isn't picking? 🤣 It is just goal post moving.

3 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Two of our better players (new signings) are long term injured. Who are these mythical "best players" that Gerrard isn't picking? 🤣 It is just goal post moving.

No, it is not.

McGinn over Douglas Luiz in the 8 role is insane.

Buendia should also be starting way more often than he does.

Get a coherent midfield and attacking midfield, and then play Ings as well.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I wouldn't describe Buendia as Mythical but there he is, sat on the bench, £35mil well spent on a player that would walk into teams that finished far higher than us last season. 

Watkins has the finishing ability of paint stripper and he's getting on the pitch week-in week-out, with one viable replacement given 2 minutes to prove he should start ahead of him and the other maybe 15, every few weeks. 

McGinn is and has been for a while the worst midfielder on current form and fitness at the club and he could waltz onto the pitch absolutely steaming, in a full vomit stained tuxedo and a novelty pirate eye patch on and Gerrard would still give him the 85 minutes and tell Sanson not to bother traveling with the squad. 

I think our best XI is obviously to most people and even on the 1 or 2 players people disagree on, nobody is selecting the same team as Gerrard, even in his suicidal glasgow-ball formation. 

In fact, I posted my thoughts on Buendia starting here:

And he starts with two dysfunctional number eights behind him, with McGinn not showing for the ball most of the time. This leads to Buendia trying to do it all on his own.

On top of this, Buendia knows he's not favoured (for some bizarre reason) by the manager. So every minute he gets, he's under pressure, and he knows he's even more under the spotlight when he starts, as he knows the slightest mistake and he's dropped. So he probably tries to force things a little bit.

A good manager (Gerrard falls way short of this) would tell Buendia he's our key player, would start him every game, and would let him take risks because he's going to do way more positive than negative. This would allow him to play his natural game. If his performances then went flat, fair enough, drop him, but someone who's that naturally tenacious and creative, there's little chance of that happening.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/21827-emiliano-buendía/?do=findComment&comment=3941208

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Sorry, don't agree in the slightest re McGinn and Luiz. McGinn is a CM who literally doesn't show for a pass when we're in possession. Criminal.

Also disagree regarding Buendia - play a functional midfield behind him, and he'll be a gem even when starting.

Perhaps play him on the right where he did so well for Norwich in the PL. Might be something to think about.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

3 at the back to be successful you need a ball playing centre back and Mings is the best we have. We would also need to remove McGinn from midfield as he does not distribute the ball well enough for that system

It has disaster written all over it

McGinn should be in a 10 or somewhere higher up like he does for Scotland. Dougie and someone as the 2 midfielders

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah as the players you note, are players for more immediate/short term results,we don't have time to faff about.

Last night I was thinking though " Newcastle have Guimares, we have McGinn " 🙄

Then again, it's SG who chooses the team, whether we have a " Guimares " or not .

They play Guimares, we leave Luiz on the bench....

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Anything11 said:

McGinn should be in a 10 or somewhere higher up like he does for Scotland. Dougie and someone as the 2 midfielders

We have better attacking midfielders therefore McGinn should be on the bench.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Risso said:

I completely disagree, and think it's absolutely the other way round, as I think would quickly become evident if Gerrard left and we moved on to the next bloke. Lots of players like McGinn and Watkins are nowhere near good for a sustained push for top 8, they're bottom half Premier League standard at best. The owners didn't back the manager nearly enough in the summer, witth the result that we're left with essentially the same team that Smith was struggling so badly with.

The next manager could always drop those players to the subs bench.

Let's say in dream world Pochettino came in and he put this front 6 out for 2-3 games:

Luiz-Sanson

Bailey        Buendia       Ramsey

Archer

While I'm not saying that formation is automatically going to win loads of games I think they'd be plenty of intrigue and support in how it would get on especially as so many on here are begging for Sanson and Archer to get proper chances.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The next manager could always drop those players to the subs bench.

Let's say in dream world Pochettino came in and he put this front 6 out for 2-3 games:

Luiz-Sanson

Bailey        Buendia       Ramsey

Archer

While I'm not saying that formation is automatically going to win loads of games I think they'd be plenty of intrigue and support in how it would get on especially as so many on here are begging for Sanson and Archer to get proper chances.

Sorry, but looks terrible. Just terrible.

• Shocked 1

Â