The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

Im fine with not being in Europe next season, the Europa League and now Europa 2 is a minefield created by the monopoly clubs to stop teams breaking into Champions league cartel. Let Spurs and Liverpool travel to Israel, Kazakhstan, Georgia etc. 

Not even like fans will be allowed travel anyway. Save Europe for the season after

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Stats time.

• Our first 13 games returned an average PPG of 1.92 (ie: Champions League qualification form)
  • Our last 12 games returned an average PPG of 1.16 (ie: a 44 point season and just avoiding a relegation scrap)
  • If we continue the form over the last 12 games, at season end we will be on roughly 54 points.
  • The massive discrepancies between our form in the first half of this season, versus the second half.....are striking!

image.png.a3fce9503b14db7bf745fb7d0945595e.png

image.png.5c4504b17d17e1c8ce88ce4ae6db4858.png

Just going through some poor form at the moment that’s all.  

If the form stays as it is (which I don’t think it will for the rest of the season) and we end up on 54 points, that’s 19 more points more than last season and 9th place if happened last season.  

I think if we got told that at the beginning of the season it surely would’ve been seen at worst as a solid growth season all the way to a great improvement season.  I think some fans got too excited at the start of the season.

I’m more than happy with not getting into the European places this season. The progress is stark and this season has been so much more enjoyable, with some mind blowing football on show at times (and not at others!!)

My only concern with this whole thing, is whether or not it impacts our ability to keep the likes of Jack and Ezri.  
I’d like to things the strides we make, coupled with the hopeful summer investment, may be the difference. 

UTV

52 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Top 8 going to be very difficult now with Everton and Spurs wins, really need to win our next two.

We have to play them both twice if Jack and Cash are back it's not over yet.

• Like 4

I reckon best we can hope for is eighth.

Before the season I would have been very happy with top ten.

It's unfortunate things seem to be fizzling out.

Our only hope is we can have Grealish and Cash back for the last six to eight games?

• Like 1

It's all about making sure we finish in top half now.

Should still be very achievable given Arsenal didn't win today and Wolves one of those lurking and starting to pick up so from that POV draw was fine. Only other team to worry about is Leeds but they're more inconsistant game to game than we are and have a hard run in.

Its not over til its actuslly over though is it?

Pressure's off in terms of safety, still top half, cash, grealish and wesley to come back in.

(I mention wes not to troll, but for better options as, whatever your opinion is, he is a significant upgrade on davis).

Still to play teams fighting for europe and also some teams who are pretty average or worse.

Enjoy it either way

• Like 2

We had a chance to climb above West Ham with six points from Wolves and Sheffield United, but could only take one point like the miserable failing perpetual losers that we are. Don't count on us getting anything against Newcastle, failure to win that one really will add to this unravelling nightmare.

Edited by useless
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Even 10th would feel underwhelming considering where we were 3/4 into the season.

Well there’s a surprise. I’m not sure how improving our finishing position by 7 positions can be underwhelming.

Given that we haven’t been any higher than 8th since match day 14 and that we’re currently not even 3/4 into our season this is a pretty odd take.

• Like 3

With the red mist lifted from yesterdays 2nd half performance, the result was not too bad. Rather it was the Sheffield United result, if we had won that game, we would have taken 7 points from the previous 3. 

• Like 2

The season have been a success regardless, but I think we're still in the mix for Europe. Getting Grealish back is pretty huge. So it's not unthinkable we'll finish strongly. Then we also got Cash.

Some clubs above us might also hit a rough patch.

Lets just see.

I think top 6 or 7 is a stretch too far this season, and there is no shame in that. We have progressed so much this season, and I firmly believe that development will continue. A few more signings makes us very competitive. Let’s enjoy the ride for the rest of the season, and we still might be knocking on the door for Europe if our form picks up again. 

For now -

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886548559587d5cd9bca7

• Like 1