The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

18 minutes ago, useless said:

I only watched the first half, but I thought Everton were pretty poor, only helped by the fact that Southampton looked even worse. Based on this game I'd be astonished if Everton finished in the top four.

Look pretty comfortable to me.

Because they're playing a team that are currently one of the worst teams in the league, Southy have only won one of their last eleven, one of their last twelve if they fail to win tonight. Looking comfortable against them isn't evidence that a team is good enough to finish top four.

My view of them finishing 4th is not based on this one game.  However there is no easy game in this league regardless of form. They play Albion on Thursday and if they win that and hold on tonight they are 4th. I think they have a strong squad and a top manager. They will be in the mix. 

• Like 2

Well this

'Everton look very solid. I wouldn’t be surprised if they managed to get the 4th spot.'

kind of implies that that opinion is based on tonight's game, and a strange position to take given that Everton for the most part looked very lacking in vitality, force, conviction and uninspired, or to use one word - lacklustre, against a poor Southampton side. Had a look on a Everton forum and even most of them are unimpressed with how they performed tonight.

If we win our games in hand we will go fourth, doesn't mean to say we will be anywhere near there come the end of the season.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Well this

'Everton look very solid. I wouldn’t be surprised if they managed to get the 4th spot.'

kind of implies that that opinion is based on tonight's game, and a strange position to take given that Everton for the most part looked very lacking in vitality, force, conviction and uninspired, or to use one word - lacklustre, against a poor Southampton side. Had a look on a Everton forum and even most of them are unimpressed with how they performed tonight.

If we win our games in hand we will go fourth, doesn't mean to say we will be anywhere near there come the end of the season.

Sorry Useless. Let me start again.

Everton look very solid. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they finished 4th based on having a strong squad and a top manager. Plus if they win their games in hand they could also go forth.  I think they will be in the mix.   

Next time I will carefully consider my words before I post :)  

We've basically been neck and neck with Everton all season in the league.

Said it many times but they won their first 4 league games like us, then lost 4 out of 5 in October-November period just as we did before bouncing back strongly in December.

Since then they've won games they wouldn't have expected to like Liverpool away and lost games they really should be getting 3 points from like Newcastle and Fulham at home just as we've done over last two months with likes of Burnley away.

I'd be surprised if at any point over the season they've been more than 4 points clear of us in the table as they are for now.

So by that defintion if they're viewed as very good bets for 4th then we must be in the shake up aswell? I can't see them motoring ahead to finish 10-15 points clear of us so we should be near to them right to the very end as they have a tough run in.

They've got some good players but I wouldn't say their attack and certainly not defence is levels about what we have. When all are fully fit their midfield options are very good though.

So it should be given what they've spent since summer 2016 and now got a top quality manager in aswell.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We've basically been neck and neck with Everton all season in the league.

Said it many times but they won their first 4 league games like us, then lost 4 out of 5 in October-November period just as we did before bouncing back strongly in December.

Since then they've won games they wouldn't have expected to like Liverpool away and lost games they really should be getting 3 points from like Newcastle and Fulham at home just as we've done over last two months with likes of Burnley away.

I'd be surprised if at any point over the season they've been more than 4 points clear of us in the table as they are for now.

So by that defintion if they're viewed as very good bets for 4th then we must be in the shake up aswell?

They've got some good players but I wouldn't say their attack and certainly not defence is levels about what we have. When all are fully fit their midfield options are very good though.

So it should be given what they've spent since summer 2016 and now got a top quality manager in aswell.

I think I’m the only one that thinks they are a decent shout and at 10-1 I’d put money on that if I was an Everton fan.  We’re 16-1 in case you were wondering. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think I’m the only one that thinks they are a decent shout and at 10-1 I’d put money on that if I was an Everton fan.  We’re 16-1 in case you were wondering. 

Still got to play us twice, Spurs home and all of Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham and Man. City (albeit on final day when they'd have long wrapped the league) away so they'd have certainly earnt 4th if they make it.

Without looking I reckon Chelsea and Liverpool both have far easier run ins than that.

I can actually see them dropping points v West Brom on Thursday so imperative we don't mess up v Sheffield just to pile a bit more pressure on them. They'll be around 60 points.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Although playing in Europe is continuous progression, I'm not so sure playing in Ukraine et al. on a Thursday night will do anything for our Premiership push the following season unless we massively strengthen 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

It's opinions like this that really make me wonder if people actually truly believe the opinions they espouse on platforms such as this, or simply type and chuck about names that come to mind as they do so.

I don't think it's just on platforms like this you'll find opinions like mine or critism of pundits. But anyway, It's more for the media and punditry thread.

I apologise if my original post caused you unrest.

My view on the whole Europe thing is really a big cliché and that's one game at a time, at the moment we are to inconsistent to predict to far ahead so I really think its only worth getting in  major flap about things if we are in the running with say 5 games to go.

Having said that if you look at the next 3, there is no reason why we shouldn't take a minimum of 7 points and keep the pressure on the others above but as above with form we have shown that could easily be 4 points and then follow it up beating Spurs!

Either way, its better than that stress of last season!

• Like 1

I fancy us a little bit still, we haven't faded away and have been in contention for some time whilst suffering injuries and loss of form. If we can just get everyone back on song for one final run we can still do this.

• Like 2

We havent put back to back wins together since WBA & Palace around Xmas/NY

Shows how inconsistent everyone else is too that we’re still in and around it. I love not drawing games anymore aswell. Good chance to string some wins together now, with the return of Grealish we can have a good go at trying to get into Europe.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I fancy us a little bit still, we haven't faded away and have been in contention for some time whilst suffering injuries and loss of form. If we can just get everyone back on song for one final run we can still do this.

That would be in line with the pattern of ‘Smith’ teams previously. A strong end to the season, that is. 

• Like 1

I think unfortunately we are perhaps the least likely to finish in the top 4 out of the 9 or 10 possibles. The opportunity has just come to early in terms of depth.

Of all the non regular teams west ham have the best shot, even above Leicester. They look solid, have good options from the bench, but most importantly a good injury record.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1