The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

I keep thinking Villa are due to give a team a good and heavy defeat.

The way we played against Sheff Utd should have been a high-scoring win for Villa and first half against Wolves we were the better team and could have easily been a goal or two up at half-time.

Take some early chances against he barcodes on Friday and we could put a few past them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I keep thinking Villa are due to give a team a good and heavy defeat.

The way we played against Sheff Utd should have been a high-scoring win for Villa and first half against Wolves we were the better team and could have easily been a goal or two up at half-time.

Take some early chances against he barcodes on Friday and we could put a few past them.

agree with this, we're missing grealish obviously but the lack of goals is being overstated as not creating anything, we should have put 2 or 3 past sheffield and wolves

if the quality of finishing improves on friday, or even just that bit of luck drops our way then theres no reason why we cant put 2 or 3 past newcastle

i wouldnt bet on us either way, this villa team could do anything friday night

• Like 2

Last time we won two in a row was in December against Palace and Albion, looking at the fixtures it's hard to see us doing that again this season, games against West Brom and then Everton probabably our best chance. Earlier in the season there was a sense that we could beat anyone, which has faded a little, if we can get back to that form might have a chance of putting a good run together.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Last time we won two in a row was in December against Palace and Albion, looking at the fixtures it's hard to see us doing that again this season, games against West Brom and then Everton probabably our best chance. Earlier in the season there was a sense that we could beat anyone, which has faded a little, if we can get back to that form might have a chance of putting a good run together.

Need Grealish to bail us out again.

Similar to what he did during our 10 game winning run in the Championship

I think anything is possible when he is back

Edited by villalad21

The team at the beginning of the season was exhilarating, what’s happened since then, Barkley got injured and lost his form, but than anwar came in and started banging them in.

I can’t put my finger on it, are we just worn out? 

Well we can say covid has had an affect because our momentum was very much positive before it struck.

But then I think we were good at City, good at Utd (took mental knocks in both games with decisions); strolled past Newcastle but then the game I think has had the biggest detrimental effect on us was Burnley away. The confidence we had that day was on another level. Brilliant performance that unravelled spectacularly in the 2nd half. Since then it seems the doubts have creeped back in despite still winning a few games. We’ve won in a different way to all the 3-0 hammerings we were dishing out before covid. I think before covid we were dominating pretty much every game, post-covid it was role-reversal and I think thats played on the minds of the players and has lead to certain performances. Psychology is huge in sport and we’ve witnessed it play a big part in our drop off imo.

Its been a wierd season, plenty of positives. Everyone’s been up and down so its not just us. Look at Liverpool now :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Well we can say covid has had an affect because our momentum was very much positive before it struck.

But then I think we were good at City, good at Utd (took mental knocks in both games with decisions); strolled past Newcastle but then the game I think has had the biggest detrimental effect on us was Burnley away. The confidence we had that day was on another level. Brilliant performance that unravelled spectacularly in the 2nd half. Since then it seems the doubts have creeped back in despite still winning a few games. We’ve won in a different way to all the 3-0 hammerings we were dishing out before covid. I think before covid we were dominating pretty much every game, post-covid it was role-reversal and I think thats played on the minds of the players and has lead to certain performances. Psychology is huge in sport and we’ve witnessed it play a big part in our drop off imo.

Its been a wierd season, plenty of positives. Everyone’s been up and down so its not just us. Look at Liverpool now :)

The United game was before Covid

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

The team at the beginning of the season was exhilarating, what’s happened since then, Barkley got injured and lost his form, but than anwar came in and started banging them in.

I think that there’s an element of that and the loss of Jack has added to that loss of edge. I recall under MON who very rarely rotated his team no matter what options he had, we barely ever, if ever at all, won a game in March. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Covid

Grealish injury

Barkley loss of form

confidence knock against Burnley

other teams knowing how we play and planning against that

• Like 1

One thing that has been frustrating is just when we start to move ahead of teams they out of nowhere suddenly put good runs together.

That shows how hard it is to make top 6 nowadays, you have to be very consistant for most of the season.

We were above Chelsea going into January period and they sacked Lampard and since then have gone on good winning run under Tuchel. Got ahead of Spurs the other week and they've now reeled off 3 straight wins when they were a points sieve during January and early part of Feb. Everton another we got ahead of and then they won at Liverpool for first time in 21 years.

Half expecting Liverpool to win 5-6 games in a row if we win on Friday and go ahead of them.

Said a week ago we will have to go on a run. Win some lose some just won't cut it.

I just don't think we have it in us to do so. We rely too much on Jack, and teams are starting to double up on him with good effect.

Edited by villalad21

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Half expecting Liverpool to win 5-6 games in a row if we win on Friday and go ahead of them.

At some point, its pretty reasonable to expect Liverpool to go on a winning run.    They aren't suddenly a bad team, just in bad form at the moment.

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

At some point, its pretty reasonable to expect Liverpool to go on a winning run.    They aren't suddenly a bad team, just in bad form at the moment.

We're their next opponents at Anfield too, which given their form and them wanting revenge for events at VP could go either way. Really looking forward to that. 

If we win, that'll make them tied for 3rd for all time worst PL home losing streaks (overtaking us in the process :D ).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We're their next opponents at Anfield too, which given their form and them wanting revenge for events at VP could go either way. Really looking forward to that. 

If we win, that'll make them tied for 3rd for all time worst PL home losing streaks (overtaking us in the process :D ).

Certainly will go into that with no fear mentally given we stuck 7 past a much better 11 than what they'll put out v us at Anfield so yeah looking forward to it.

Klopp's going to be in a tricky position shortly. If Liverpool don't win v Wolves which on current form looks a nailed on 0-0 or 1-1 (as most Wolves games are) then I reckon he'll start resting players in prem and go all in for CL as Benitez used to do as no sense to just get more injuries from playing prem games just to finish 6th or 7th when winning two more CL rounds and they're in the final.

• Like 1

Just looked at April's fixtures, ouch!

March seemed kind (on paper) but we blew it.

However we have punched above our weight, the way we are playing we seem to look like finishing eleventh or twelfth.

I for one think that's a real shame as we seemed to be in a very strong position.

Realistically our season is over with that goal conceded.

Win would've papered over cracks of last few weeks but it would've got us above Liverpool and in touch still with likes of Spurs and Everton.

Now we need 3-4 match winning run to have serious chance and that ain't happenin with how we're playing.

We'll finish 9th or 10th now. Anything else pretty disappointing for me. Will always be the nagging feeling there was a little more in the season for us but we simply haven't been good enough since mid Feb.

Still got some way to be serious contender for top 6 and last few weeks brutally shown it.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1