The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

Probably more likely we'll finish above Liverpool than Everton. Can see them and Wolves just playing out a 1-1 on Monday and they've got loads of other games they could easily draw or lose in run in in their current state so think they won't even get to 60 points.

Klopp is already resting players in prem before CL games so that will continue (I take it we're playing them either side of CL QFs so that should give us more of a chance in getting a draw).

With goal difference Crystal Palace essentially need five points to overtake us, and we have two games in hand. Would take a very poor end to the season for us to finish below, albeit we do have some difficult fixtures.

Everton result gives us a slight glimmer of hope of catching up with them, we have some difficult fixtures to play, but it's in exactly those kind of games that we've often done better than expected this season. WIll be tough though as on paper they have a lot of favourable fixtures left to play. We're probably more likely to catch West Ham if anyone, as they have tougher run in, although their last three don't look too bad.

3 hours ago, useless said:

Everton result gives us a slight glimmer of hope of catching up with them, we have some difficult fixtures to play, but it's in exactly those kind of games that we've often done better than expected this season. WIll be tough though as on paper they have a lot of favourable fixtures left to play. We're probably more likely to catch West Ham if anyone, as they have tougher run in, although their last three don't look too bad.

I think if we can do as last season and get 4 points off them we'll be right on their tails.

Think their away run is pretty tough, us, Brighton, Arsenal, Man. City and West Ham. All those will be tricky to win imo and I can see them losing three of them and got to play likes of us and Spurs at home and not like they beat the lower half teams much at home either.

Another who'll be in the 55-60 point range. Trouble is with every disappointing result that becomes a much harder task for us to achieve ourselves.

Edited by VillaChris

We're probably second favorites in all our remaining games other than the West Brom and Fulham fixtures, which judging by most of our results this season might actually work in our favour, it's when everyone expect us to win that we seem to falter.

19 minutes ago, useless said:

We're probably second favorites in all our remaining games other than the West Brom and Fulham fixtures, which judging by most of our results this season might actually work in our favour, it's when everyone expect us to win that we seem to falter.

I fancy us more away to Palace than Fulham at home currently although Selhurst Park is another voodoo ground for us year in year out.

They were on about shifting that midweek round back to last week of season so that might actually have 10k in.

Edited by VillaChris

7 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It's almost like this ridiculously compressed season where players are flogged to keep the money flowing in, without fans who could provide a bit of adrenaline to keep them on their toes, is just not a very good season of football. Players find it hard to keep themselves motivated game to game. They are only human at the end of the day.

No it's just us, because Dean Smith doesn't make subs. You have to keep up man. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No it's just us, because Dean Smith doesn't make subs. You have to keep up man. 

I suppose you're right but Chris Wilder is available now to fire us back up the league. Smith out.

• Haha 1

Beat Spurs next weekend and we go just one point behind them with a game in hand, do that and it won't really matter what the teams below us do, although looking Arsenal's remaining games they seem to have a lot favourable fixtures, wasn't long ago that we were five points ahead of them with two games in hand, but they've been one of the most in form teams in the division for a while now, our last win against them was a very good one.

I don't have an idea that we can see Europe let alone entertain it. Our squad is thin with a first team that barely copes with the league, add cups, tourneys and Europe and we are a severely stretched team that will struggle with the league. It's easy to lose sight of the main objective which is to keep a decent premier place each season when you have that much going on with a very limited player base.

We need to learn how to rotate better and make squad depth a thing before we play games in Europe I think.

• Like 1

Arsenal winning wasn't great for us.

We were miles clear of them even 4 weeks ago but now they're level and after their next two which is West Ham away and Liverpool home they have a pretty comfortable run in.

Sadly over last two weeks it's changed into clinging onto 10th for dear life now in run in I think.

Looking at the table we shouldn't be dropping below tenth, we're four points ahead of Palace with two games in hand, and even further ahead of Wolves and Leeds with games in hand over them as well.

23 minutes ago, useless said:

Looking at the table we shouldn't be dropping below tenth, we're four points ahead of Palace with two games in hand, and even further ahead of Wolves and Leeds with games in hand over them as well.

Goal difference gives us another point over the teams you mention too.