The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Europe was always going to need something amazing. We just don't have the squad to produce that consistency. 

We have improved on last year, we aren't going down and this is the best season in God knows how long. If you can't enjoy this season as a villa fan then I don't know why you bother. 

Top teams this season have been awful. This is a golden opportunity missed.

Look at Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool. All having a shit season and are likely to get much stronger next season.

As we are steadily getting worse and worse, West Ham and Everton are taking advantage and it's tragic to watch.

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Look at Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool. All having a shit season and are likely to get much stronger next season.

As we are steadily getting worse and worse, West Ham and Everton are taking advantage and it's tragic to watch.

Simple solution to this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We are ahead of Arsenal with a game in hand, 2 points behind Spurs and 3 points behind Liverpool with a game in hand. These teams finished 21, 24 and 64 points ahead of us last season.

Yes, Liverpool will get stronger with their injured players back. Spurs could lose Kane which would derail them massively. Arsenal’s transfer policy is pretty hit and miss. I’d back us to kick on a bit with a bit more investment in the squad.

We’re in our second season in the premier league and we’ve seen consistent season by season progress for the first time in years. This is “tragic to watch”?

• Like 2

Never during or before the season have I thought we'd get into Europe. Our squad simply isn't strong enough and because of that we've relied heavily on a small number of players who were always going to tire or get injured due to the hectic schedule.

And frankly there are at least 8-10 teams that should be better than us over 38 games. Doesn't mean it couldn't be done and that I won't be a bit disappointed if performances drop too far towards the end of the season.

• Like 1

Without European football I would exoecr Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool to have better seasons next year. We will be similar as could be another congested calendar 

One season in Europe might be good for West Ham and Everton but it will be unsustainable to keep up Premier League form. Leicester have struggled to keep up in 2 competitions 

There are still 36 points to play for, we've averaged twenty points every 13 games so far, if we can just do slightly better than that over the last 12 games, then that will give us 60 points. Not sure if that will be enough for Europe, but will have been an excellent season, and up there with O'Neill seasons in terms of points gained.

Fifty points would be very good, and our most premier league points in a season in the last ten years.

• Like 2

I think this is over, but I'm actually OK with that.

8th would be the top end of where Jack thought would be a good season. Although that was at the start of the season.

I'm not sure if Emi will feel the same way. Lol

• Like 2

4 defeats where I think we should have won due to the chances we missed. West Ham, Brighton, Sheffield United, Burnley. 2 defeats where we had chances to take the lead and be clear. Leeds home and Southampton home (still a freak result for me). Manure I'd argue that we could have won. 

15 points. Or 21 if you think like me we should have won. 

Plenty to be excited about for next season because it's clear where we need to improve.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Never during or before the season have I thought we'd get into Europe. Our squad simply isn't strong enough and because of that we've relied heavily on a small number of players who were always going to tire or get injured due to the hectic schedule.

And frankly there are at least 8-10 teams that should be better than us over 38 games. Doesn't mean it couldn't be done and that I won't be a bit disappointed if performances drop too far towards the end of the season.

see, i got all carried away earlier in the season and was absolutely convinced we were getting europe. even when we lost to utd and city i was positive it would happen so i can't help but feel disappointed. not saying we failed or anything, just shows what an injury or 2 does to us.

i'll be gutted not to finish in the top half though. that really has to be the aim now.

Not qualifying for Europe this year will be a blessing in disguise.

We are heading in the right way but need another year or two to add quality in depth. I also truly believe if we drop out of the European race this year it's a perfect opportunity to give the likes of Kesler, JPB, Chuk, Ramsey a real opportunity to be blooded in first team football which could be huge in a years time

We're only seven points off the champions league places, with a game in hand, our best player to return from injury, one of our other best players to return from injury, and our top scorer last season before he was injured to also return. We've still got a chance of challenging for at least top eight.

• Like 1

i think to be brutally honest, with our form for the last 12 or so games, our most realistic challenge is actually finishing top 10.

We are 9th, yes we are 5 points off 6th, but we are also 5 points off 12th, so we need to get that top 10 nailed on as a minimum.

I would be happy with top 10 on balance, i think thats only slightly annoying due to how unrealistically good our early form was, ie: raised the expectation, but a review in the cold light of day, i think 98% of us would have taken top 10 at the start of the season.

I think top 10 would be a good season, anything higher a bonus, just a pity we have been quite poor for the last 10-12 games overall, or we could have pushed for top 6/7.

51 minutes ago, useless said:

We're only seven points off the champions league places, with a game in hand, our best player to return from injury, one of our other best players to return from injury, and our top scorer last season before he was injured to also return. We've still got a chance of challenging for at least top eight.

Exactly. Plus in Samson we have a very good midfielder finding his feet.  Just because we’re having a bad patch doesn’t mean it has to continue until the end of the season.  Last season we were one of the worst teams in the league and managed 8 points from last 4 games!  A lot can still happen.

Not sure what to hope for in the Leeds v West Ham game tomorrow, don't want Leeds catching up with us, but still feel we can catch West Ham being as though they're only five points ahead of us, and we will have a game in hand over them again after they play tomorrow.

Edited by useless

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Everton have spent about 500m since 2016 while being an established top flight team. If they couldn't take advantage this season (and I still think they'll only finish 6th at best) they never would. Even then it's only last few games they've started to pull away from us.

We can still finish 9th, perhaps 8th if Spurs have another poor run and concentrate on europa or one of the teams above has a really poor run in.

Just seen the Liverpool team. If Fulham can hold them today they're still very much in range if we can go and beat Newcastle.

Edited by VillaChris

We can still catch West Ham, I wouldn't completely rule out catching Everton, they play Chelsea tomorrow, if they lose that and we beat Newcastle we will be just three points off them, they then play Burnley which won't be an easy game. After next weekend we could be three points behind Everton and two points behind West Ham, with a game in hand over both teams, and it wouldn't take the most remarkable set of results for that to happen.

• Like 1