Pre match thread

Don_Simon

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Same as the last couple of games villalad21 on villatalk so angry at a line up that I wonder how much enjoyment he actually gets from football

fixed

• Like 3

Barkley is clearly playing himself back to fitness. He won't get match fit from the odd 15 mins here and there. It's short term pain while he gets up to speed so he is fit quicker. 

He's not playing well, but each game since we came back he's been a little better (fitter) and it would be counter productive to drop him now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Someone else who can play his role 

He's not performing but in terms of shape he's exactly what Smith wants (and we need) 

Why do we need to play with a 10?

I just don't get it. There is no need for it.

Are people seriously concerned about a lack of goals with a midfield and attack consisting of Luiz, Sanson, McGinn, Traore, Grealish, Watkins?

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we don’t get over run in midfield you aregoing to get it bad. Warning you in advance ;) 

Mate we could win 8-0 and he'd be here saying "sure, I'm happy we won, but Smith looks like he hasn't had a haircut for WEEKS! It's unprofessional and will spread to the rest of the team" 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I have to say, I am with Villalad on this one. I hope I am wrong and I do feel dirty but there it is. That midfield three leaves our back 5 exposed time and again. 

Depends on whether Mcginn sits or not.  With the way Brighton play was should have most of the ball so shouldn’t get overrun.  Last time we played them we had Hourihane instead of Barkley and he was hardly in the game so we are stronger today. 

I do worry about getting caught on the break though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weedman said:

Barkley is clearly playing himself back to fitness. He won't get match fit from the odd 15 mins here and there. It's short term pain while he gets up to speed so he is fit quicker. 

He's not playing well, but each game since we came back he's been a little better (fitter) and it would be counter productive to drop him now. 

Fair point this. I have been frustrated with Barkley but do see the merits in this. If he has another stinker then I would like to see somebody come in - perhaps Sanson. 

Big game this!! Hoping for a Jack masterclass - he has been 7/8 out of 10 the last couple of games rather than 9/10!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robtaylor200 said:

must be somewhere in his contract amount of games he has to play, now watch him score tonight 

I don't give a crap if he pops up with a goal every now and then.

He is leaving our midfield exposed. Way more cons than pros

I don't see a problem with Barkley starting so long as Luiz and McGinn sit in front of the back four, with one occasionally breaking forward. When either are out of position we look vulnerable. But at the same time having those three in midfield is a big reason why we are so enjoyable to watch going forwards.

If we score first in this one I think we'll win handsomely.

Edited by Jonesy7211
  • Like 1