Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I admit I wasn’t watching the game closely as had to play battleships with the little one but I thought we were playing a 4231 with Ings dropping deeper than Watkins. 

I think I said similarly myself when Ings signed that I expect us to go with basically a 4-4-1-1 as there was a lot of times last season where that was more or less the case given how closely Barkley played to Watkins, and it's a role Ings has performed before. I think initially yesterday it just looked like a 4-4-2 but as it went on you saw that shape come into the game more. In that case it makes a lot of sense, just seen the odd report which admittedly could be bollocks but has suggested we'll be looking to play either a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 this season to accommodate both of them, which would obviously be a bit of a shift. Interesting to see how it plays out anyway as while great individually the signings so far don't exactly make it obvious how the team will be lining up.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I love the optimism of signing Kamada. We should be signing a Japanese player to be a friend for a Japanese player that doesn’t play for us :)

It was a joke mate - but we did try for Kubo last year. 

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I admit I wasn’t watching the game closely as had to play battleships with the little one but I thought we were playing a 4231 with Ings dropping deeper than Watkins. 

It's not good to sink your kids mate, I'm sure there's a phoneline for this somewhere 🤣

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

It was a joke mate - but we did try for Kubo last year. 

Would of loved Kubo and Bailey. Great we got the one in but both would of been ace.

Edited by Dave-R

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

For some reason, I keep forgetting about him! 🤦🏿

After yesterday Young’s leap-frogged AEG as a wide left option or Traore as the wide right, imo. Put a great shift in and looked better than both.

Until Bailey is settled and up to speed Ash might get the shirt, but obvs depends how Deano plans to set up - not clear to me yet. 

Thoughts on Axel playing as a proper DM? If there’s a clause in the loan that he plays a certain number of games then that might solve a problem, unless Konsa gets injured or suspended. 

4 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

I see Raheem Sterling follows Leon Bailey on Twitter.  New left winger anyone ???

Can't be many clubs that can afford him right now.

Guardiola says anyone can leave if they come forward to the club with an offer from another club. I don't think there's anyone wanting out of City that will accept anything less than Champions League football, can you think of anyone attainable?

If we are done I feel a bit mixed about our activity.

While we’ve signed some good players I also feel we’ve got an imbalance. 

I’m disappointed not to sign a DM and fear we’ll be moaning once again next season about not buying one when inevitably Emi has too many saves to make again because teams are walking through our midfield on the transition.

I also feel a CAM would have made more sense than Ings (even though I rate him) and it will either mean 4-4-2 which won’t work unless we want to play like Burnley or a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 where Ollie is shoved out wide and less effective.

I also feel our scouting could have been better this summer. Other than Bailey there are no real surprises and we’ve even brought back 2 players who used to play for us. 

If we can get the system right we could have a strong team and season but there’s a lot of questions currently and I think we need more.

Given how our longest serving player and supposed boyhood fan walked out on us to get CL football i doubt there’ll be any stopping the likes of Emi, Ollie and Ezri moving on if we fail to get into Europe next season.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

If we are done I feel a bit mixed about our activity.

While we’ve signed some good players I also feel we’ve got an imbalance. 

I’m disappointed not to sign a DM and fear we’ll be moaning once again next season about not buying one when inevitably Emi has too many saves to make again because teams are walking through our midfield on the transition.

I also feel a CAM would have made more sense than Ings (even though I rate him) and it will either mean 4-4-2 which won’t work unless we want to play like Burnley or a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 where Ollie is shoved out wide and less effective.

I also feel our scouting could have been better this summer. Other than Bailey there are no real surprises and we’ve even brought back 2 players who used to play for us. 

If we can get the system right we could have a strong team and season but there’s a lot of questions currently and I think we need more.

Given how our longest serving player and supposed boyhood fan walked out on us to get CL football i doubt there’ll be any stopping the likes of Emi, Ollie and Ezri moving on if we fail to get into Europe next season.

I don't like your post because it's true. (Though I gave you a like). 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I would have liked Allan Saint Maximin from Newcastle. Hes like a road tested Leon Bailey ! - I guess the likely fee is beyond what we are prepared to pay.

His injuries are a huge concern as well. 

12 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

I see Raheem Sterling follows Leon Bailey on Twitter.  New left winger anyone ???

Yeah and how much is sterling going to cost, wait let's hand the 100 mill back 🤣

Yeah Bailey is as smart as Jack on the ball I think, just Jack slows the game down and Bailey doesn't, were getting speed smarts not slow smarts with Bailey.

7 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Can't be many clubs that can afford him right now.

Guardiola says anyone can leave if they come forward to the club with an offer from another club. I don't think there's anyone wanting out of City that will accept anything less than Champions League football, can you think of anyone attainable?

I half expected there to be talk of Ilic in a Grealish deal as there was a rumour we enquired about him but were put off by City's insistence on including a buyback.

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

I would have liked Allan Saint Maximin from Newcastle. Hes like a road tested Leon Bailey ! - I guess the likely fee is beyond what we are prepared to pay.

Terrible output including his best season in France. A classic player that passes the eye test and rubbish end product. Also looks worse since was out for quite a while with Covid

Edited by Kiwivillan

Idrissa Gueye "Gana" is available from PSG. He turns 32 in a month but he's still rather good. We've already proved with Young that we don't mind going back.

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Terrible output including his best season in France. A classic player that passes the eye test and rubbish end product. Also looks worse sense was out for quite a while with Covid

He's basically a French Adama Traore and I don't think anyone on this forum would want to get him back. 

• Like 2